Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,482 Members 53,549 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is it possible to make app that adapts to phone hardware?

Tip us?

xorg23
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone Is it possible to make app that adapts to phone hardware?

Hi there.

I have one question - I'm starting to learn android development and I want to know one thing - can I write app that will adapt to phone on which is installed? I mean - for example - app will use wifi, gps and ringtone to give me location of a phone. If phone has gps - it will use gps. If not - it will switch to wifi. If phone is old and has no wifi or gps it will ring. I want detect it automaticaly beacuse app will be installed on different models and by users that know nothing about device so it must be done inside of app and not by user.

arpitkh96
Old
Thanks Meter 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorg23 View Post
Hi there.

I have one question - I'm starting to learn android development and I want to know one thing - can I write app that will adapt to phone on which is installed? I mean - for example - app will use wifi, gps and ringtone to give me location of a phone. If phone has gps - it will use gps. If not - it will switch to wifi. If phone is old and has no wifi or gps it will ring. I want detect it automaticaly beacuse app will be installed on different models and by users that know nothing about device so it must be done inside of app and not by user.
Yes it is possible. but I dont remember any phone without WiFi,gps .every device have them

Sent from my GT-S5570 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

xorg23
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpitkh96 View Post
Yes it is possible. but I dont remember any phone without WiFi,gps .every device have them

That was example. I need to write an app that will switch from one option of communication to another is one of them is not avaible (no signal or simply is not supported) or simply to conserve battery.

arpitkh96
Old
Thanks Meter 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorg23 View Post
That was example. I need to write an app that will switch from one option of communication to another is one of them is not avaible (no signal or simply is not supported) or simply to conserve battery.
Again yes its possible .Google maps do this.it prompts to switch on WiFi or GPS etc for location accuracy

krypdon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Yes! That is possible and most apps are designed in this fashion.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

GalaxyInABox
Old
Thanks Meter 202
This: http://developer.android.com/referen...va.lang.String) is what you want to use, amd here are the possible features you can pass/ask for: http://developer.android.com/guide/t...ures-reference . Keep in mind that you still need to have the matching permission.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to GalaxyInABox For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]