Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,801 Members 44,498 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SGH-M919N - How do I root & get a custom ROM?

Tip us?

whosgt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] SGH-M919N - How do I root & get a custom ROM?

Hi! I just recently got my GS4 from MetroPCS (SGH-M919N) and I want to modify my device! I had a LG Optimus L9 before but couldn't modify it due to the locked bootloader. I'm not sure if my GS4 bootloader is locked or unlocked, so if anyone can help me out with that I would appreciate it.

I'm looking to root my phone and get a custom ROM on it, or stock 4.4 if possible (I have 4.3 right now). Can anyone point me to the right direction in doing all this?

bobolinko
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosgt View Post
Hi! I just recently got my GS4 from MetroPCS (SGH-M919N) and I want to modify my device! I had a LG Optimus L9 before but couldn't modify it due to the locked bootloader. I'm not sure if my GS4 bootloader is locked or unlocked, so if anyone can help me out with that I would appreciate it.

I'm looking to root my phone and get a custom ROM on it, or stock 4.4 if possible (I have 4.3 right now). Can anyone point me to the right direction in doing all this?
It's not very hard to find the information you're requesting! Nearly all of the members of this forum SEARCHED and found the information you want, did it on their own, however it requires reading..... It would benefit you by reading, so that you understand all of the aspects of getting to your goal WITHOUT creating a BRICK! You would get the overall understanding of what the pitfalls are and the benefits as well. You could be spoon fed the single area that you can get the job done, but won't understand anything about what you're doing, or anything..... You won't be really able to choose any of the finer points of what you want the final product to be....

It's YOUR phone, and if you want to have the phone as YOU want it, would you not agree that'd be the best result?

Read, explore, and see what's available, and THEN, make your decision on what to do. I strongly advise you to do the "homework" on what avenues you have as options and you'll be better off in the long run. You are aware there is no "school" on how to do these things and just about all of the developers and tweakers on this forum READ to get all their knowledge on this wonderful phone....

Just my two cents and if you don't know how to search, here's an example using google:

Root SGH-M919N XDA<enter>

You'll be amazed how much information you'll find..... MUCH MORE than anyone could give you in a response to your question....

Good Luck and Aloha....

Kriptik210
Old
Thanks Meter 108
What Bobo is trying to say is that Google is your friend. Just add "XDA" to your search and you'll get more hits from xda - development

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
.............Sent from an A.I. frequency.............

Android_Monsters
Old
(Last edited by Android_Monsters; 25th May 2014 at 01:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 857
Most people use chainfire's autoroot.

Clockworkmod (is my custom recovery of choice).

Once rooted you can flash. I usually use ROM manager.

Insane Kit Kat is my ROM of choice.

Here is a link to the rooting stickie:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2419828

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app