Freakishly hot device after disabling dvfs, how safe is this?

OP lvnatic

24th May 2014, 12:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Iasi
Thanks Meter: 107

1,315 posts
More
So I disabled the DVFS feature which I heard was some kind of thermal control but now the phone is unbelievably hot after intensive gaming session. For example I played xcom for 30 minutes and the phone felt like frying and the battery went down from 86% to 48%. I didn't have any cpu monitor so I don't know what temperature it was on, but it felt very hot. Is this safe? I personally think it isn't and I will probably turn DVFS back on.

I have a n9005 device, running xnote v15 and lean kernel 2.5.1 with default settings.
24th May 2014, 03:51 PM   |  #2  
Flag Waratah
Thanks Meter: 577

4,462 posts
From what I gathered, DVFS was Samsung's "cheat" to enable awesome scores in Antutu and other apps that measured how well the CPU, etc worked... Disabling DVFS should in actuality leave it cooler as the CPU's/other aren't being artificially throttled up to maximum...

Correct me if I'm wrong...
24th May 2014, 08:54 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 724

601 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnatic

So I disabled the DVFS feature which I heard was some kind of thermal control but now the phone is unbelievably hot after intensive gaming session. For example I played xcom for 30 minutes and the phone felt like frying and the battery went down from 86% to 48%. I didn't have any cpu monitor so I don't know what temperature it was on, but it felt very hot. Is this safe? I personally think it isn't and I will probably turn DVFS back on.

I have a n9005 device, running xnote v15 and lean kernel 2.5.1 with default settings.

Isn't the dvfs stock kernel related?
25th May 2014, 01:59 AM   |  #4  
Flag Toronto, ON (Hong Kong S.A.R.)
Thanks Meter: 1,453

2,015 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4aces

Isn't the dvfs stock kernel related?

No its TouchWiz system based. You can set it in Wanam Xposed.

It may sound like it's related with the kernel, but the kernel does not see what is being run on the device (especially only benchmarking tools) and then ramps up the device to perform better than expected.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholaschum For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread