Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Best sense 6 cleaner

OP blazinandroid1

23rd May 2014, 08:08 PM   |  #11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60
 
602 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by richii0207

Removing apps and freeing ram has zero effect on benchmarks or battery. Sorry to tell ya but what you're experiencing is pure placebo.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app

So what you're saying is, if he removed apps that had been running 24/7, that would would have no effect on battery or performance... Really...so why does anyone strip out any of the VZW or HTC apps at all? And what exactly do you think the term bloatware means?

99% of what he removed may not have had any effect, but that doesn't mean that removing one or two specific apps didn't have a positive effect on battery and/or performance.
23rd May 2014, 08:14 PM   |  #12  
Turd Furguson's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
381 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by richii0207

Removing apps and freeing ram has zero effect on benchmarks or battery. Sorry to tell ya but what you're experiencing is pure placebo.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app

I would have to disagree with you on this. Some apps rape your battery through wake locks.

But in the interest as to what this topic was started on I would agree with you.
richii0207
23rd May 2014, 08:17 PM   |  #13  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfreemanoh

So what you're saying is, if he removed apps that had been running 24/7, that would would have no effect on battery or performance... Really...so why does anyone strip out any of the VZW or HTC apps at all? And what exactly do you think the term bloatware means?

99% of what he removed may not have had any effect, but that doesn't mean that removing one or two specific apps didn't have a positive effect on battery and/or performance.

Removing apps that do not run in the background do NOT affect battery. Bloatware is subjective as one person's "bloatware" is a crucial app for another person. Removing dormant apps such as VZW ringtones or navigator will not net any gain. Some people like to remove these apps to "free up space".

What apps do you consider bloatware? For me, 3rd party apps such as SMS and launchers are a waste of space, hence I consider them "bloatware".

I do not make assumptions without knowing what I'm talking about as I conduct my own tests and obtain results instead of reading what opinions others may have. This is like back in the days when there was so much hype with build prop edits and how they worked wonders....only to be debunked by numerous testers including myself.

If you read my previous post, it answers your latter paragraph. My statements may be paradigm shifts for some, but I won't be saying all of this without proper reasoning.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app
Last edited by richii0207; 23rd May 2014 at 08:24 PM.
23rd May 2014, 09:18 PM   |  #14  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60
 
602 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by richii0207

Removing apps that do not run in the background do NOT affect battery.

True. However, some of the apps listed on the link in the OP do run in the background. Just because something isn't listed as a running app in Settings\Apps\wherever doesn't mean associated service isn't running. When you have Blinkfeed running for instance, it doesn't show all of the million associated Blinkfeed content apps.
The Following User Says Thank You to sfreemanoh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
richii0207
23rd May 2014, 09:46 PM   |  #15  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfreemanoh

True. However, some of the apps listed on the link in the OP do run in the background. Just because something isn't listed as a running app in Settings\Apps\wherever doesn't mean associated service isn't running. When you have Blinkfeed running for instance, it doesn't show all of the million associated Blinkfeed content apps.

Are you referring to the cached apps? Do you use xposed? How many modules do you use? Do you consider those draining battery since they are running?
24th May 2014, 12:50 AM   |  #16  
scrosler's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Fargo
Thanks Meter: 55,113
 
24,615 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2007
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfreemanoh

When you have Blinkfeed running for instance, it doesn't show all of the million associated Blinkfeed content apps.

So true!!!







I wanted to chime in here...

To both people you both have points...

But if an app is running, yes, it decreases battery by taking away precious CPU cycles and wasting RAM. That is fact. This is undeniable fact.


As stated, one "man's bloat" is another mans "must have" but I can tell you this much... Not many people I know, on a custom ROM, use VZW Tones...

I consider anything Verizon puts in the ROM bloat. Any Non Sense (get it?) app is also bloat to me (Lookin' at you Amazon). And yes, most of these apps do consume system resources weather being used or not. Removing them can be beneficial depending on what you are trying to achieve.

The hard part about guides on removing things, and ROMS (like mine) is achieving a very fine balance between user needs and "bloat". Each person will have a difference of opinion. This is also fact.

Just my two cents...

Carry on!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scrosler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th May 2014, 05:25 PM   |  #17  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60
 
602 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by richii0207

Removing apps that do not run in the background do NOT affect battery.

True, but I never said they did. In fact, I questioned your comment about how removing any apps would said no effect on your device, by asking "if he removed apps that had been running 24/7, that would would have no effect on battery or performance". That's the opposite of what you said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richii0207

Bloatware is subjective as one person's "bloatware" is a crucial app for another person. Removing dormant apps such as VZW ringtones or navigator will not net any gain. Some people like to remove these apps to "free up space".

What apps do you consider bloatware? For me, 3rd party apps such as SMS and launchers are a waste of space, hence I consider them "bloatware".

True, however, "Removing apps and freeing ram has zero effect on benchmarks or battery." is false. Blatantly, unarguably false.

As far as bloatware, it's generally considered to be apps that run on a frequent or constant basis, and that have a negative effect on the system. Though some people consider it to be anything at all on their device which they have no personal use for. Whatever, that's their decision. For instance, most (if not all) of the crap Verizon installs on their devices (not ringtones, obviously) is known to have a negative impact on device performance. However, from your statement, removing those apps would do nothing for performance or battery life. When we've seen time and time again that it DOES have a positive performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler

So true!!!

I wanted to chime in here...

To both people you both have points...

But if an app is running, yes, it decreases battery by taking away precious CPU cycles and wasting RAM. That is fact. This is undeniable fact.

As stated, one "man's bloat" is another mans "must have" but I can tell you this much... Not many people I know, on a custom ROM, use VZW Tones...

I consider anything Verizon puts in the ROM bloat. Any Non Sense (get it?) app is also bloat to me (Lookin' at you Amazon). And yes, most of these apps do consume system resources weather being used or not. Removing them can be beneficial depending on what you are trying to achieve.

The hard part about guides on removing things, and ROMS (like mine) is achieving a very fine balance between user needs and "bloat". Each person will have a difference of opinion. This is also fact.

Just my two cents...

Carry on!

Thanks for the input Scrosler. I agree with everything you said. Especially about the VZW apps...
richii0207
24th May 2014, 06:58 PM   |  #18  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfreemanoh

True, but I never said they did. In fact, I questioned your comment about how removing any apps would said no effect on your device, by asking "if he removed apps that had been running 24/7, that would would have no effect on battery or performance". That's the opposite of what you said.

True, however, "Removing apps and freeing ram has zero effect on benchmarks or battery." is false. Blatantly, unarguably false.

Thanks for the input Scrosler. I agree with everything you said. Especially about the VZW apps...

Apps that are open and then "minimized" are left paused and is cached. This is how ram is utilized efficiently. This helps so that your phone doesn't need to start up the app service every time you open it, hence saving battery. Imagine if you used a "Task manager" every time you exited an app. You generally want to use up your ram caching all the apps you normally use so your phone doesn't have to open a new app every other time.

Notice how when you first open an app, it takes a second to open it. Now when you hit the home and open it again, it opens much faster. This is something you can do to visually see what I am talking about.

My first statement was that you don't "speed" up a device or save battery by removing apps, you would need to configure the app's refresh timer or notification center.

If you apply the broad "apps slow down and kill your battery" principle, then are these custom roms with all these features and xposed modules slower than a "debloated" stock rom?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app
Last edited by richii0207; 24th May 2014 at 08:37 PM.
25th May 2014, 04:07 AM   |  #19  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60
 
602 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by richii0207

My first statement was that you don't "speed" up a device or save battery by removing apps, you would need to configure the app's refresh timer or notification center.

Dude, just because it's not active on the screen doesn't necessarily mean it's not still actively running. That's the point Scrosler and myself were trying to make. Are you paying attention at all? Just because it's not active on the screen, or listed in Running Apps doesn't mean something isn't running. There were dozens of HTC apps, and probably one dozen Verizon apps included in stock. Maybe two dozen of them can, and do, run in the background without being on the screen or showing in Running Apps.

And stop explaining how things are cached, we get it, we got it before you explained it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes