Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] how stock can I get without rooting?

OP talz13

24th May 2014, 12:51 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Avon, OH
Thanks Meter: 11

100 posts
More
I've been looking to upgrade from my old Toshiba thrive for quite a while now, and see the refurbished note 10.1 2014 on eBay. I've been resisting Samsung for a while now because I'm not a fan of the touchwiz and status/notification bar, but it seems like such a deal and I wonder if I could deal with it.

My question is, how close to stock Android can I get without rooting? I love the Google now launcher on my nexus 5, and would also want to get the on screen buttons some they rotate with the screen orientation and it's what I'm used to.

If I do root, I'd like to know what I'd have to do to get things like the Time Warner streaming app to work?
25th May 2014, 04:20 AM   |  #2  
Flag Waratah
Thanks Meter: 581

4,483 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by talz13

I've been looking to upgrade from my old Toshiba thrive for quite a while now, and see the refurbished note 10.1 2014 on eBay. I've been resisting Samsung for a while now because I'm not a fan of the touchwiz and status/notification bar, but it seems like such a deal and I wonder if I could deal with it.

My question is, how close to stock Android can I get without rooting? I love the Google now launcher on my nexus 5, and would also want to get the on screen buttons some they rotate with the screen orientation and it's what I'm used to.

If I do root, I'd like to know what I'd have to do to get things like the Time Warner streaming app to work?

You can use different launchers like Apex or Nova to get rid of the touchwizz interface. Notification bar is there for life but when using apps it does go away. It can be pulled down if you need to check something but is not present when using most apps.
Not sure about the time warner app as it probably doesn't work here in Oz anyway...
I don't know about what model you would get, be it 600,601 or 605 in your region but each has their own pros & cons, make sure you do a bit of research first...
25th May 2014, 04:26 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Avon, OH
Thanks Meter: 11

100 posts
More
I just fired up the time Warner app on my rooted thrive and it didn't give me any problems aside from telling me to turn off USB debugging.

I guess I'll still wait and see what's coming up in the next couple months.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread