Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,011 Members 48,109 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] how stock can I get without rooting?

Tip us?

talz13
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Angry [Q] how stock can I get without rooting?

I've been looking to upgrade from my old Toshiba thrive for quite a while now, and see the refurbished note 10.1 2014 on eBay. I've been resisting Samsung for a while now because I'm not a fan of the touchwiz and status/notification bar, but it seems like such a deal and I wonder if I could deal with it.

My question is, how close to stock Android can I get without rooting? I love the Google now launcher on my nexus 5, and would also want to get the on screen buttons some they rotate with the screen orientation and it's what I'm used to.

If I do root, I'd like to know what I'd have to do to get things like the Time Warner streaming app to work?

ultramag69
Old
Thanks Meter 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by talz13 View Post
I've been looking to upgrade from my old Toshiba thrive for quite a while now, and see the refurbished note 10.1 2014 on eBay. I've been resisting Samsung for a while now because I'm not a fan of the touchwiz and status/notification bar, but it seems like such a deal and I wonder if I could deal with it.

My question is, how close to stock Android can I get without rooting? I love the Google now launcher on my nexus 5, and would also want to get the on screen buttons some they rotate with the screen orientation and it's what I'm used to.

If I do root, I'd like to know what I'd have to do to get things like the Time Warner streaming app to work?
You can use different launchers like Apex or Nova to get rid of the touchwizz interface. Notification bar is there for life but when using apps it does go away. It can be pulled down if you need to check something but is not present when using most apps.
Not sure about the time warner app as it probably doesn't work here in Oz anyway...
I don't know about what model you would get, be it 600,601 or 605 in your region but each has their own pros & cons, make sure you do a bit of research first...
If You Disagree Or Think I'm Wrong, Look Closer At My Avatar...

talz13
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
I just fired up the time Warner app on my rooted thrive and it didn't give me any problems aside from telling me to turn off USB debugging.

I guess I'll still wait and see what's coming up in the next couple months.