Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

[Q] [Help] New to rooting

OP Reconde

25th May 2014, 06:49 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
More
Hello,

I am really new to rooting and custom roms. I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find a tutorial on how to root the S4-i545 on NC5. I don't understand custom recovery, and overall I'm just a really bad noob at this. Could I be linked to an informative tutorial to help me better understand things? Also, if there is a tutorial on how to root the i545 on NC5 that would be fantastic.

I'm really stuck and I've been researching for the past few days and still haven't come across anything helpful..

Thanks!
25th May 2014, 07:12 AM   |  #2  
slogger001's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Patna/Bihar/India
Thanks Meter: 65
 
317 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Exclamation error 404
I thing it's not available
25th May 2014, 01:27 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 834
 
2,452 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconde

Hello,

I am really new to rooting and custom roms. I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find a tutorial on how to root the S4-i545 on NC5. I don't understand custom recovery, and overall I'm just a really bad noob at this. Could I be linked to an informative tutorial to help me better understand things? Also, if there is a tutorial on how to root the i545 on NC5 that would be fantastic.

I'm really stuck and I've been researching for the past few days and still haven't come across anything helpful..

Thanks!

rooting and custom roms loading are not for the faint of heart. Going to NC5 is fairly complex process and requires alot of patience and alot knowledge concerning odin process as using odin is key part of the inst all of downgrading. I take it your phone is already NC5 and you took the OTA?
25th May 2014, 04:42 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob

rooting and custom roms loading are not for the faint of heart. Going to NC5 is fairly complex process and requires alot of patience and alot knowledge concerning odin process as using odin is key part of the inst all of downgrading. I take it your phone is already NC5 and you took the OTA?

Yes. I downloaded the OTA from Verizon for 4.4.2. I've heard many times that a NC5 root is not available, so is there any way you know to downgrade back to 4.3 for root? I understand there is a post by surge on how to upgrade to NC5 and keep root after that, but I can't seem to find a post on how to downgrade back to 4.3
25th May 2014, 08:18 PM   |  #5  
k1mu's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,579
 
1,925 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconde

Yes. I downloaded the OTA from Verizon for 4.4.2. I've heard many times that a NC5 root is not available, so is there any way you know to downgrade back to 4.3 for root? I understand there is a post by surge on how to upgrade to NC5 and keep root after that, but I can't seem to find a post on how to downgrade back to 4.3

Read the following: from Surge1223.

That will allow you to downgrade to 4.3, root it, then eventually upgrade to 4.4 while retaining root.
You do NOT want to downgrade to 4.3 if you've installed 4.4. The kernel modules for 4.3 won't work unless you run bypasslkm at every boot, which appears to be a challenge for a number of people. Once you've started the NC5 upgrade, you really want to be on 4.4.

If you're still on 4.3 (MK2) and want to upgrade to NC5, I'd recommend using this. It's a lot easier to do, but it only applies if your MK2 system is basically factory stock but rooted (or if you can get it back to stock.)
25th May 2014, 10:04 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
More
I've gotten my answer on downgrading, could someone please explain to me what recovery is?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
25th May 2014, 11:12 PM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Flag San Luis Potosí
Thanks Meter: 1
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu

Read the following: from Surge1223.

That will allow you to downgrade to 4.3, root it, then eventually upgrade to 4.4 while retaining root.
You do NOT want to downgrade to 4.3 if you've installed 4.4. The kernel modules for 4.3 won't work unless you run bypasslkm at every boot, which appears to be a challenge for a number of people. Once you've started the NC5 upgrade, you really want to be on 4.4.

If you're still on 4.3 (MK2) and want to upgrade to NC5, I'd recommend using this. It's a lot easier to do, but it only applies if your MK2 system is basically factory stock but rooted (or if you can get it back to stock.)

Ha, as a newcomer I can confirm that following Surge's method is not the easiest but I was able to pull it off on the first try. Now currently Using NC5 4.4.2 rooted and running smoothly. I'm going to try to run Hyperdrive's newest release as soon as the rom download is finished.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconde

I've gotten my answer on downgrading, could someone please explain to me what recovery is?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

You may have read this already but... there are a lot of useful noobie links you can find regarding general info in the General section! And by saying this I mean that... I read those couple of weeks back and its nothing from another world. Good luck!
26th May 2014, 02:16 AM   |  #8  
k1mu's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,579
 
1,925 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconde

I've gotten my answer on downgrading, could someone please explain to me what recovery is?

There's three ways you can boot your android device.
First is normal mode. That's the way it nomally boots, running the full operating system.

The second is downloader mode. This mode allows you to flash new software images using ODIN.

The third is recovery mode. Factory recovery allows you to flash updates, wipe the stock ROM, factory reset, etc. A custom recovery allows you to flash arbitrary updates (those which aren't signed by Samsung).

Phones running MDK bootloader can have a custom recovery that allows you to flash nonstandard ROMs.
Past MDK, this requires the use of Safestrap recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th May 2014, 06:02 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
More
Quick question - where would I put necessary files on my SD card? Under which directory?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
26th May 2014, 06:05 PM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 834
 
2,452 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconde

Quick question - where would I put necessary files on my SD card? Under which directory?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Put on extsd card..whatever name u want to use

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes