Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

Prepare Your Nokia X2 for Battle with Nokia X2 Tools

Unveiled in June this year, the Nokia X2 is the Finnish companys second crack at an … more

Increase the Speaker Volume of Your Samsung Gear 2 with Tool and Tutorial

I think its pretty safe to say that any sound coming out of a … more
Thread Closed

One week with the M8, my thoughts

20th May 2014, 08:37 AM   |  #31  
Thanks Meter: 3

44 posts
You can get rid of the lock screen in the security section and if you use the app GMD gesture control you never need touch the power button waaaaay on top, I have my M8 set to turn the screen off by swiping up and to the right.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
21st May 2014, 05:58 PM   |  #32  
New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 8

92 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeper10

You can get rid of the lock screen in the security section and if you use the app GMD gesture control you never need touch the power button waaaaay on top, I have my M8 set to turn the screen off by swiping up and to the right.

Or try using Lock Screen. No permissions and I use the double tap gesture in Nova Launcher to execute the app. Double tap on. Double tap off. Bonus.
24th May 2014, 06:16 PM   |  #33  
Thanks Meter: 0

36 posts
I have always been an iPhone dude but keep trying my luck with android (mainly Samsung)...

Each time I get a Samsung (galaxy s,s3,note2,s4), I'm happy initially.... But always end up going back to iPhone...

With the m8 I think things are changing... Why is m8 so smooth?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
25th May 2014, 05:27 AM   |  #34  
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocketty

I have always been an iPhone dude but keep trying my luck with android (mainly Samsung)...

Each time I get a Samsung (galaxy s,s3,note2,s4), I'm happy initially.... But always end up going back to iPhone...

With the m8 I think things are changing... Why is m8 so smooth?

there tends to be an excessive amount of bloatware on samsung phones. and imo that slows down the usability. it could also be that touchwiz UI is not as well optimized as Sense UI
25th May 2014, 09:18 AM   |  #35  
Thanks Meter: 6

8 posts
I seem to be in the minority with loving the position of the power button! Why change it? My Wife's Nexus 4 has a side power button and everytime you turn the device on/off you catch the volume rocker on the opposite side and change your ringtone volume EVERY TIME! For the M8 I use my thumb to reach it, but have been told I have pretty large hands to begin with.. The LED is a million times brighter than my One X (it seems to flash brighter when you have a notification on the M8).

The black bezel is a waste, but HTC have already mentioned they couldn't change this - however I'm sure they could have added capacitative back/home/recent buttons to this bezel (Like the One X), both saving screen space (I HATE the on-screen android back/home/recent buttons) and utilising 'wasted' space on the device. As it stands the screen is pretty much the equivalent of a 4.7" screen but with a lower ppi.

I keep catching the volume button whenever I touch the device, not sure if this is the 'free' case that came with it, or the buttons themselves that sit proud of the device (the one X was perfect on this point), I keep turning the ringtone up and down inadvertently

LOVE the IR feature. Hate the camera, light metering is all over the place, exposure and ISO is all over the place and it doesn't deal with mixed light scenarios well.. I don't feel its an improvement over the One X which is a 2 year old device now.. The dual camera feature is a gimmick too imo, some of the effects are cool but flawed and software on other phones seem to simulate the effect almost as well.. The quality of the selfie cam is awesome though, nice wide angle too (wider than the rear camera). I tend to upgrade devices every 24months (I buy offline, not tethered to a contract) but I may upgrade sooner if the next HTC device has a better camera, this is a more important feature to people than HTC seem to realise.

The gestures are cool in theory but I'd like to turn off all bar the double tap - when i pick up the device my finger sometimes swipes the screen and turns it on which i dont always want.

Thank God the charging socket is at the bottom, the side charge socket on the One X was damn annoying!

All in all, love the device and the battery life (anyone who had a One X knows that that phone lives attached to a power socket).

Having had a HTC Desire -- > HTC One X --> HTC One M8 I can't leave Sense! Touchwiz feels like a UI for children in comparison!

The only other annoyance I've found so far is that i run out of space very quickly, I have a 64gb SD card but can't seem to move things like Spotify to the card, so my offline music takes up a huge amount of space on the built in 16gb I want large amounts of internal memory and then an SD card just for movies, but it seems I need to put most of my data on an SD card with this device (The One X had no external memory card, just built in 32gb and it was fine for me - maybe a bit limited on the amount of films I could keep on the device at a time).

I've had my One M8 for just over a week now
The Following User Says Thank You to Tejr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th May 2014, 09:53 AM   |  #36  
Thanks Meter: 91

347 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejr

I seem to be in the minority with loving the position of the power button! Why change it? My Wife's Nexus 4 has a side power button and everytime you turn the device on/off you catch the volume rocker on the opposite side and change your ringtone volume EVERY TIME! For the M8 I use my thumb to reach it, but have been told I have pretty large hands to begin with.. The LED is a million times brighter than my One X (it seems to flash brighter when you have a notification on the M8).

The black bezel is a waste, but HTC have already mentioned they couldn't change this - however I'm sure they could have added capacitative back/home/recent buttons to this bezel (Like the One X), both saving screen space (I HATE the on-screen android back/home/recent buttons) and utilising 'wasted' space on the device. As it stands the screen is pretty much the equivalent of a 4.7" screen but with a lower ppi.

I keep catching the volume button whenever I touch the device, not sure if this is the 'free' case that came with it, or the buttons themselves that sit proud of the device (the one X was perfect on this point), I keep turning the ringtone up and down inadvertently

LOVE the IR feature. Hate the camera, light metering is all over the place, exposure and ISO is all over the place and it doesn't deal with mixed light scenarios well.. I don't feel its an improvement over the One X which is a 2 year old device now.. The dual camera feature is a gimmick too imo, some of the effects are cool but flawed and software on other phones seem to simulate the effect almost as well.. The quality of the selfie cam is awesome though, nice wide angle too (wider than the rear camera). I tend to upgrade devices every 24months (I buy offline, not tethered to a contract) but I may upgrade sooner if the next HTC device has a better camera, this is a more important feature to people than HTC seem to realise.

The gestures are cool in theory but I'd like to turn off all bar the double tap - when i pick up the device my finger sometimes swipes the screen and turns it on which i dont always want.

Thank God the charging socket is at the bottom, the side charge socket on the One X was damn annoying!

All in all, love the device and the battery life (anyone who had a One X knows that that phone lives attached to a power socket).

Having had a HTC Desire -- > HTC One X --> HTC One M8 I can't leave Sense! Touchwiz feels like a UI for children in comparison!

The only other annoyance I've found so far is that i run out of space very quickly, I have a 64gb SD card but can't seem to move things like Spotify to the card, so my offline music takes up a huge amount of space on the built in 16gb I want large amounts of internal memory and then an SD card just for movies, but it seems I need to put most of my data on an SD card with this device (The One X had no external memory card, just built in 32gb and it was fine for me - maybe a bit limited on the amount of films I could keep on the device at a time).

I've had my One M8 for just over a week now

You're not alone. My Note II had the power button on the opposite side to the volume rocker. This irritated me when watching movies landscape as too often it would switch the screen off.

My Nexus 7 has the power button just above the volume rocker and I hated this too. In low light you could easily tap the power button when you wanted the volume up button or vice-verca.

I like the power button at the top.

25th May 2014, 09:57 AM   |  #37  
Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
XDA MODERATOR
Thanks Meter: 4,079

5,892 posts
Moderator information,

This thread has been closed as it has turned into a phone comparison thread. Remember we only talk about the HTC One m8 on this forum not iphones or other devices. If the other devices are on this forum please use the specific device forum.

If the device is not on this forum, please use the XDA off-topic thread until a device specific forum has been created.

Many thanks,

Ghost

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread