Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Android Studio Reaches Release Candidate Status

Android app developers have a few options when comes to Android IDEs. One of the most … more

Connect ALL THE THINGS with Xender

Smartphones, with all of their all connectivity options courtesy of OEMs, can easily connect themselves … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] USB OTG Cable with additional power

OP blackfire74

11th May 2014, 03:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

154 posts
Hello, we all know that there are USB OTG Cables with extra power plug (Y cable) but those are supposed to power external device like HDD, DVD, or anything what consumes more power than our android device can handle.

But my question is: is there any USB OTG cable with additional power plug but for simultaneous tablet / phone charging while USB stick is used?
I want to watch something long (i.e. TV Show series) from USB stick via OTG cable but I cannot simultaneously charge my tablet, so if it take too long my tablet will be out of power before I stop watching.
11th May 2014, 08:42 PM   |  #2  

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire74

Hello, we all know that there are USB OTG Cables with extra power plug (Y cable) but those are supposed to power external device like HDD, DVD, or anything what consumes more power than our android device can handle.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2617692
12th May 2014, 08:27 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

154 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma-ES

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2617692

That means I have to add a resistor only to usb connector or just need a different kernel, or both?
12th May 2014, 06:33 PM   |  #4  

4 posts
On the native firmware say that this support function is disabled. Personally, I use this CivZ-FLEX-ЛУЧ-REV3.6.2 + SphereXtreme, where works flawlessly with OTG + charging resistor 64.9 K.
12th May 2014, 11:03 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 70

357 posts
I call BS!!!!

I have a stock firmware, and have been using all kinds of USB cables. Found the best are made from Sony/Ericson and Blackberry. Once you have a quality cable your charging issues will go away.

Right now I am using a 7 foot cable that is from a Sony. No charging issues and works perfectly.
17th May 2014, 12:23 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

154 posts
Lately I found another MHL cable 2hich is called HDMI to Micro HDMI, and that micro HDMI plug looks exactly like micro USB. Will such cable work with Note 8 properly without additional power?
21st May 2014, 04:31 PM   |  #7  
Flag Duluth
Thanks Meter: 105

1,056 posts
More
The version of MHL our device supports requires a power source external to the tablet. That means the adapter itself needs to provide the power (battery or power adapter) or can pull enough off the HDMI cable, which is usually not enough juice to run the connection.

MicroHDMI and MicroUSB are also not physically compatible (won't fit the same port and different pin outs) even if they look so much a like. MHL typically uses MicroUSB at one end and full sized HDMI at the other.
25th May 2014, 05:44 PM   |  #8  
Flag syracuse ny
Thanks Meter: 121

431 posts
Donate to Me
More
Audio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma-ES

On the native firmware say that this support function is disabled. Personally, I use this CivZ-FLEX-ЛУЧ-REV3.6.2 + SphereXtreme, where works flawlessly with OTG + charging resistor 64.9 K.

This is correct u need to put a 63-65 k resistor between ground and Id pin(pin 4 &5) on USB connector. Doesn't work on civatos 4.4.2 as of now. USB host works fine with regular USB host cable but no charging when u use a y cable. I use civatos 4.2.2 kernel also. Works on yyks note 2 4.3 port also..
I have test multiple times. I use a USB dac in car and need charging and USB host.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread