[q] twrp usb-otg to flash custom rom?

OP PhysiologyExpert

25th May 2014, 02:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Hello everybody; I did try to search if a similar thread had been posted and wasn't successful; so I'll try to explain my situation concisely. First time I rooted my HTC One I got a boot lop; but right before this I had done a factory reset using TWRP, and I think that means USB-debugging is off; I tried unrooting with an RUU file but couldn't find my specific one and tried others and they didn't work. So basically, I have access to the boot loader and TWRP, but I CAN'T use ADB commands since usb debugging is off; the device isn't detected and I've updated all my drivers and it detected the phone just fine when USB debugging was off (So drivers aren't the issue here)

So my question is this; can I save the CUSTOMROM.zip file to a USB flash drive, and then use a USB OTG and TWRP to flash it from there? If so, how? Otherwise I really see no choice but to sell the device as "semi-bricked" (?). Thanks in advance, any other piece of advice is greatly appreciated. Please Help!
25th May 2014, 04:01 AM   |  #2  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 1,167

3,027 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysiologyExpert

Hello everybody; I did try to search if a similar thread had been posted and wasn't successful; so I'll try to explain my situation concisely. First time I rooted my HTC One I got a boot lop

Have you tried to fastboot erase cache and reboot?

Quote:

but right before this I had done a factory reset using TWRP, and I think that means USB-debugging is off

Usb debugging only enable adb connection when phone is booted in the OS. You can still use ADB from custom recovery even if USB debugging is OFF.

Quote:

I tried unrooting with an RUU file but couldn't find my specific one and tried others and they didn't work.

Which ones? Also post a ''fastboot getvar all'' except imei and sn

Quote:

So basically, I have access to the boot loader and TWRP,

If you have access to bootloader and recovery then there is many solutions

Quote:

but I CAN'T use ADB commands since usb debugging is off

False, you can use adb from twrp recovery

Quote:

the device isn't detected and I've updated all my drivers and it detected the phone just fine when USB debugging was off (So drivers aren't the issue here)

Not sure what you are saying here. If your drivers are correctly installed, then your phone, when booted in twrp, should be detected as ADB interface in windows devices manager. So you can use adb to push or sideload a rom to your phone and then install it using twrp.

Quote:

can I save the CUSTOMROM.zip file to a USB flash drive, and then use a USB OTG and TWRP to flash it from there? If so, how?

Yes this is also a good option. make sure your usb drive is formatted to fat32, copy your rom.zip on it, connect it to the phone using a otg cable,. boot in twrp, select ''install'', click on ''storage: Internal Storage (X MB)'' then select ''USB OTG (X MB)'' and finally select the rom.zip

Quote:

Otherwise I really see no choice but to sell the device as "semi-bricked" (?)

no need to sell your phone!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th May 2014, 05:23 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray

Have you tried to fastboot erase cache and reboot?

Usb debugging only enable adb connection when phone is booted in the OS. You can still use ADB from custom recovery even if USB debugging is OFF.

Which ones? Also post a ''fastboot getvar all'' except imei and sn

If you have access to bootloader and recovery then there is many solutions

False, you can use adb from twrp recovery

Not sure what you are saying here. If your drivers are correctly installed, then your phone, when booted in twrp, should be detected as ADB interface in windows devices manager. So you can use adb to push or sideload a rom to your phone and then install it using twrp.

Yes this is also a good option. make sure your usb drive is formatted to fat32, copy your rom.zip on it, connect it to the phone using a otg cable,. boot in twrp, select ''install'', click on ''storage: Internal Storage (X MB)'' then select ''USB OTG (X MB)'' and finally select the rom.zip

no need to sell your phone!

Oh god. I didn't know TWRP would allow me to use dab despite USB debugging being off. Thank you SO MUCH. I just flashed a custom ROM and everything's working just fine.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread