Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,558 Members 45,925 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] I think I bricked my C6806 GPE

Tip us?

LordManhattan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5648
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvernwaddell View Post
Next question..assuming I get the phone back in stock condition...how do I do a backup? I couldn't get CWM or TWRP to install on this phone, which is what led to my dilemma originally. Unlock bootloader, yes, root it, yes..backup TA or backup ROM, no.
Is the GPe not back up-able?
You're scaring me. You're like a madman (madgirl?) on a bike, heading for a cliff and tells you "meh" Just keep in mind that Xperia and GPe ROMs, kernels and recoveries are not compatible with each other, so don't flash stuff unless it specifically says "GPe" in the title.

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk

DooMLoRD
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 37991
Quote:
Ok, I bought an Experia Z Ultra C6806 GPE. In stupidly trying to install a recovery that worked I flashed a kernel that wouldn't boot, after having unlocked the bootloader (at Sony). Then I tried to go back to stock and forgot that I'd left the bootloader unlocked. It seemed to flash successfully (FlashTool said it succeeded) but won't boot now, no lights come on and I can't get into Flashmode or anything else. It seems to be well and truly bricked. Is there anything I could do with a jtag or a hard reset or SOMETHING to bring it back to life? I'm willing to open it up if someone can hand hold me a bit in the process-I really like this phone. Any help at all would be much appreciated!
so what seems to be the problem here?

explain ALLL the steps you did in DETAIL!

wyvernwaddell
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan View Post
You're scaring me. You're like a madman (madgirl?) on a bike, heading for a cliff and tells you "meh" Just keep in mind that Xperia and GPe ROMs, kernels and recoveries are not compatible with each other, so don't flash stuff unless it specifically says "GPe" in the title.

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk
Thanks for the help-I know that now. Wish I'd done a bit more reading then so I wouldn't have to know it so much I suspect that, when I get it back all I want to do is root, get a recovery working, do a backup and then let it be. Unless there's some compelling reason to change it, the GPe stock rooted will suit me fine. Waiting a while for the info on what can and can't be done to firm up won't bother me a bit. This is my very first Sony phone, the first 5 or 6 were all HTC or Samsung starting with the original G1.
Oh, and I really am a madwoman on a bike-I have a homebuilt Yuba Mundo with a 52 volt/40 amp battery pack

Off to do copious reading of threads so as to not make anymore noob mistakes.....
Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google Play Edition C6806, rooted stock.
Nexus 7. Rooted and Cyanogenized.
All subject to change at any moment....

wyvernwaddell
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMLoRD View Post
so what seems to be the problem here?

explain ALLL the steps you did in DETAIL!
What I ended up doing that bricked the phone was flashed a sony stock FTF on a GPe phone (C6806) not knowing at the time that the partition sizes were different. It is indeed hard bricked and will be going back for (hopefully) warranty replacement. What I was having trouble with before that was flashing a recovery..which seemed to work, except that I didn't know about the up/down button to choose a recovery when the led flashes. I thought it hadn't installed correctly and wasn't able to get into recovery to do a backup....which led to me flashing an (Ultra) kernel that wouldn't boot the rom, which led to me flashing a stock sony rom....I was far too eager and thought I knew what I was doing. I can only plead stupid and stand mute to the court
It might be helpful if someone could start a GPe only section, as I didn't find that (at first, I have now) and ended up in the regular Ultra section...evidently some of the things that can be done on those don't apply to the GPe.
This is actually my very first brick-I've passed a milestone...probably not one I want to see again, either.
Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google Play Edition C6806, rooted stock.
Nexus 7. Rooted and Cyanogenized.
All subject to change at any moment....

DooMLoRD
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 37991
Quote:
What I ended up doing that bricked the phone was flashed a sony stock FTF on a GPe phone (C6806) not knowing at the time that the partition sizes were different. It is indeed hard bricked and will be going back for (hopefully) warranty replacement. What I was having trouble with before that was flashing a recovery..which seemed to work, except that I didn't know about the up/down button to choose a recovery when the led flashes. I thought it hadn't installed correctly and wasn't able to get into recovery to do a backup....which led to me flashing an (Ultra) kernel that wouldn't boot the rom, which led to me flashing a stock sony rom....I was far too eager and thought I knew what I was doing. I can only plead stupid and stand mute to the court
It might be helpful if someone could start a GPe only section, as I didn't find that (at first, I have now) and ended up in the regular Ultra section...evidently some of the things that can be done on those don't apply to the GPe.
This is actually my very first brick-I've passed a milestone...probably not one I want to see again, either.
best to take it in for warranty claim/RMA
Tags
brick, c6806 z ultra