Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more

How to Unlock and Root a Nexus Device – XDA TV

It is official–Google has released the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 9. The Nexus family … more
Post Reply

[Q] confused to no end, once i get this this going i am not messing with it

OP d73jester

24th May 2014, 05:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Fayetteville, NC
Thanks Meter: 0
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Breakdown:
Was rooted with twrp recover running jellywizmj9
Accidently installed ota 4.3 firmware and got stuck in a bootloop
I managed somehow to the other day to install the stock rom that was rooted but then attempted to unlock the bootloader so I could reinstall trwp and custom roms again. This is were things fell apart.
Prior to trying to unlock the bootloader I had the following on the phone (trying to recall exactly from memory) Android version 4.1.1 and baseband vraljb
Using odn3 v3.07
I have flashed the pit file successfully
I have flashed root66_vzw_stock_system.tar.md5 successfully
---- still locked on boot screen
VRALJB fails in sboot.in
And WAMC3 says its unsupported version
In my oden mode the screen says:
Product name: sch-i605
Custom binary downloads: no
Current binary: Samsung official
System status: custom
Know warranty void: 0
RP swrev: A2
I have tried removing the sim card and sd card resetting phone I think I tried it all.
Right now I will settle for a functioning phone. Rooted or unrooted, bootloader or not. I just want my phone functioning again.
24th May 2014, 06:57 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Fayetteville, NC
Thanks Meter: 0
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
ok here is a solution that i found on xda. since i downloaded 4.3 i screwed myself until someone comes up with an unlocker for bootloader. I had to install vzwemj9. the phone is now working and is rooted still.

With this being said with the phone being rooted is there any way outside of the bootloader to install custom roms?
24th May 2014, 07:12 PM   |  #3  
mattnmag's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 63
 
185 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d73jester

ok here is a solution that i found on xda. since i downloaded 4.3 i screwed myself until someone comes up with an unlocker for bootloader. I had to install vzwemj9. the phone is now working and is rooted still.

With this being said with the phone being rooted is there any way outside of the bootloader to install custom roms?


If you used ODIN to restore to stock 4.3 MJ9, then I'm confused how you're still rooted. Did you root it with saferoot?

If it's rooted, you should be able to flash custom ROM's with safestrap. Check it this thread on Safestrap..... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=51616723


Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
24th May 2014, 07:24 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Fayetteville, NC
Thanks Meter: 0
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnmag

If you used ODIN to restore to stock 4.3 MJ9, then I'm confused how you're still rooted. Did you root it with saferoot?

If it's rooted, you should be able to flash custom ROM's with safestrap. Check it this thread on Safestrap..... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=51616723


Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app


the only way that i can tell that i am rooted is that super user is installed. ok after further investigation the program is there but there is no SU binary installed. it says i manually need to reroot. can i use safestrap for that?
Last edited by d73jester; 24th May 2014 at 07:38 PM.
24th May 2014, 08:26 PM   |  #5  
mattnmag's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 63
 
185 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d73jester

the only way that i can tell that i am rooted is that super user is installed. ok after further investigation the program is there but there is no SU binary installed. it says i manually need to reroot. can i use safestrap for that?


Yep. You should be able to root 4.3 MJ9 with saferoot. Here's the link to saferoot-- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48392009. If you have data and apps leftover from before you restored, it sounds like everything might not have got wiped with the factory restore. Did you use Droidstyle's guide to restore? You might see if a factory reset from within the settings of the stock ROM would wipe everything.... and you could also try to do another Odin restore.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
25th May 2014, 02:55 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Fayetteville, NC
Thanks Meter: 0
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnmag

Yep. You should be able to root 4.3 MJ9 with saferoot. Here's the link to saferoot-- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48392009. If you have data and apps leftover from before you restored, it sounds like everything might not have got wiped with the factory restore. Did you use Droidstyle's guide to restore? You might see if a factory reset from within the settings of the stock ROM would wipe everything.... and you could also try to do another Odin restore.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I tried using saferoot to root my note 2 but i got a failed message
"Your kernel is patched!
This device is not supported."

looking at my phone i am running
3.0.31
se.infra@r0301-12 #1
Thur April 10 12:46:30 KST 2014

how can i downgrade my kernel so that i can root my phone?
25th May 2014, 04:24 AM   |  #7  
mattnmag's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 63
 
185 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d73jester

I tried using saferoot to root my note 2 but i got a failed message
"Your kernel is patched!
This device is not supported."

looking at my phone i am running
3.0.31
se.infra@r0301-12 #1
Thur April 10 12:46:30 KST 2014

how can i downgrade my kernel so that i can root my phone?

It sounds like you took the OTA update to the recent 4.3 VRUAND3 build, which doesn't work with saferoot. Others have had success using ODIN to revert back to 4.3 VRUEMJ9. You can use Droidstyle's guide to restore back to factory stock MJ9.... from there, you should be able to use saferoot on MJ9 to get root access.

This thread discusses the issue I am talking about.... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...m#post52764286

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
25th May 2014, 03:42 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Fayetteville, NC
Thanks Meter: 0
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnmag

It sounds like you took the OTA update to the recent 4.3 VRUAND3 build, which doesn't work with saferoot. Others have had success using ODIN to revert back to 4.3 VRUEMJ9. You can use Droidstyle's guide to restore back to factory stock MJ9.... from there, you should be able to use saferoot on MJ9 to get root access.

This thread discusses the issue I am talking about.... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...m#post52764286

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks,

I will try it this afternoon.... I miss my Root and custom roms.
25th May 2014, 08:08 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Fayetteville, NC
Thanks Meter: 0
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by d73jester

Thanks,

I will try it this afternoon.... I miss my Root and custom roms.

it wirked i have saferoot and superSU installed on my phone. Stupid Verizon locking there bootloader.
25th May 2014, 11:02 PM   |  #10  
mattnmag's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 63
 
185 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
More
Glad to hear that you were able to get it restored back to MJ9 and get it rooted again. :thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes