Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,281 Members 49,680 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Some questions for upgrading and/or rooting Galaxy S4 VZW

Tip us?

Sparxx2k8
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Some questions for upgrading and/or rooting Galaxy S4 VZW

First, let me say to please move this post if I am incorrectly posting this in the wrong forum; this appears to be the spot for me to post this, but I am not above being wrong :P

Currently I am running a 4.2.2 ROM, Bonestock 1.1.3, on the MDK firmware. I guess my first question is, should I fully upgrade OTA to current stock by factory resetting my phone for the updates? Or, is there a way to use my current setup using TWRP 2.5.0.3 to flash to a true 4.4.2 image?

I've picked up on a few threads here and there about upgrading/downgrading and booting and whatnot; but none as easy as "download this ROM and flash it". Now I completely understand that with bootloaders and software versions it becomes increasingly difficult to break down an image and root it and whatnot, so the simple "get this and flash it" method may be unatainable. However, the few threads I DID find, are so cumbersome and involved that a 20 minute process takes hours to complete because a step may be missed, or an error occurred that wasn't anticipated, or whatever.

I apologize for my ignorance and inability to understand all that is involved, but if someone could kindly point me down the right path, that would be sweet. With the internet by my side and my own personal ability to muddle through things and understand as I go, I should hope I can get KitKat on my phone sooner than later. I've muddled through the original root of my S4, my previous phone RAZR and my OG Droid before that .... along with an A500 tablet....if only it were put a bit more simply, I could accomplish this as well!

Thanks in advance for the help, if any is available

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 1,284
Wrong section, questions go in Q&A, only development goes in the development section.

Anyway, if you're on MDK you can continue flashing roms as normal. Extended directions are for safestrap users that are on locked bootloader firmware.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: Verizon
  • PHONE: Samsung S4 HTC One Max
  • CASE: Otterbox Defender modded to fit Anker 7800mah battery HTC PowerFlip
  • BOOTLOADER: MDK, loki bypass S-OFF & Relocked
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.x
  • KERNEL: Ktoonsez with Project Icarus profile and Hydra script FlyKernel
  • ROM: Eclipse TW 4.4 Adrenaline Sense 6
  • LAUNCHER & MODS: Google Now launcher with XGEL settings, GravityBox, Heads Up notifications, & Android L navbar

myklbear
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thumbs up MDK upgrade

Seems like the question asked is in the Question section so not sure why the blast.....

You are lucky to have an MDK phone, as these are pre a lot of lockdowns that make custom Roms more complicated to work with. Because it is MDK, you can root, get a recovery module and after backups load a new Rom. Keep reading for details, but you have the easiest to work with.

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparxx2k8 View Post
First, let me say to please move this post if I am incorrectly posting this in the wrong forum; this appears to be the spot for me to post this, but I am not above being wrong :P

Currently I am running a 4.2.2 ROM, Bonestock 1.1.3, on the MDK firmware. I guess my first question is, should I fully upgrade OTA to current stock by factory resetting my phone for the updates? Or, is there a way to use my current setup using TWRP 2.5.0.3 to flash to a true 4.4.2 image?

I've picked up on a few threads here and there about upgrading/downgrading and booting and whatnot; but none as easy as "download this ROM and flash it". Now I completely understand that with bootloaders and software versions it becomes increasingly difficult to break down an image and root it and whatnot, so the simple "get this and flash it" method may be unatainable. However, the few threads I DID find, are so cumbersome and involved that a 20 minute process takes hours to complete because a step may be missed, or an error occurred that wasn't anticipated, or whatever.

I apologize for my ignorance and inability to understand all that is involved, but if someone could kindly point me down the right path, that would be sweet. With the internet by my side and my own personal ability to muddle through things and understand as I go, I should hope I can get KitKat on my phone sooner than later. I've muddled through the original root of my S4, my previous phone RAZR and my OG Droid before that .... along with an A500 tablet....if only it were put a bit more simply, I could accomplish this as well!

Thanks in advance for the help, if any is available

do not take any OTA with your phone,
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

myklbear
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Do not take an OTA because it will upgrade you from the mdk firmware which is th easiest to work with. Once you put a custom rom on, it will cease to allow OTA and protect you from carrier and mfg nasties that can try to cripple your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

VZW S4 SCH-I545 MDK Stock Radio Ktoonz Hyperdrive RLS 16.1

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by myklbear View Post
Seems like the question asked is in the Question section so not sure why the blast.....

You are lucky to have an MDK phone, as these are pre a lot of lockdowns that make custom Roms more complicated to work with. Because it is MDK, you can root, get a recovery module and after backups load a new Rom. Keep reading for details, but you have the easiest to work with.
A moderator moved it after I posted

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: Verizon
  • PHONE: Samsung S4 HTC One Max
  • CASE: Otterbox Defender modded to fit Anker 7800mah battery HTC PowerFlip
  • BOOTLOADER: MDK, loki bypass S-OFF & Relocked
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.x
  • KERNEL: Ktoonsez with Project Icarus profile and Hydra script FlyKernel
  • ROM: Eclipse TW 4.4 Adrenaline Sense 6
  • LAUNCHER & MODS: Google Now launcher with XGEL settings, GravityBox, Heads Up notifications, & Android L navbar