Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,775 Members 40,823 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy S4 Mini (i9192) caching unwanted contacts

Tip us?

SebastianNZ
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Galaxy S4 Mini (i9192) caching unwanted contacts

Hi there.

I have a rooted S4 mini Duos (GT-i9192) running I9192XXUBNB1 Android 4.2.2. I added my work's Exchange mail, and a personal pop3 account. The mail app looks like it went and rooted around *everywhere* and found pictures for some contacts, and added dozens of other addresses which appear to be fake senders of spam that had at one point been in the pop3 account's inbox.

Now whenever I start typing an address it comes up with lots of results which are just garbage which I cannot seem to remove.

I cleared the cache and data on:
Favourite Contacts
Google Contacts Sync
Samsung Contact SyncAdapter

I've logged into my gmail account (which I never use) and deleted all the contacts there, and told it not to sync contacts but still they remain.

I cleared both my mail accounts from the mail program, readded just the work Exchange one and it's still there.

The only time I ever see a reference to these addresses is when I'm composing mail. If I click/hold the address to try and get an option on it I don't. I can add it to contacts but of course I don't want that, I just want to delete them.

Any advice? I'm raging hard.

Thanks in advance.

SebastianNZ
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Anyone? Please?

fburgos
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Have you clear data and cache from the mail app? I think those ghost contacts are in your phone the contact app or were synchronized to your exchange account check there

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

SebastianNZ
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fburgos View Post
Have you clear data and cache from the mail app? I think those ghost contacts are in your phone the contact app or were synchronized to your exchange account check there

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk
I'd cleared all accounts but the mail app doesn't have a "clear data" option, it's greyed out. I had a look on Exchange but no contacts for these users there, not even in the "suggested contacts" box.

I'm getting close to nuking it and starting again. I'm sure as heck never buying Samsung again. It's as if I'm borrowing a phone from them and they're trying to determine how I can and can't use it.

I also noticed another issue: I have an app that requires a password to be entered on logging in, but the keyboard shows and even *caches* this password. I can remove it, but it'll automatically re-cache it unless I turn off all the learning features. Is this just some idiocy from the Samsung keyboard? And if so, is there a better one I can install?