Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,940 Members 46,832 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Metal S5

Tip us?

barondebxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushless View Post
I prefer plastic. Better shock resistance and signal reception. Given Samsungs rep for radio reception, yikes.

Metal might also mean no replaceable battery.
So do i.

For me the S5 is temporary ( even though i love it). G3 is my next device.
Jack Bauer is back!!!!!!!!!

Current Device: OnePlus One

Recently Owned

HTC One M8

Sony Xperia Z2

Samsung Galaxy S 5

Oppo Find 7a

davidstre
Old
Thanks Meter 136
I spoke to a manager at Verizon today. He told me they are releasing a metal version of the S5 as well as a Google Play Edition. Unfortunately they have not yet received official release dates but he did confirm that it is coming.
VZW: Theres a map for that.

rushless
Old
(Last edited by rushless; 22nd May 2014 at 06:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidstre View Post
I spoke to a manager at Verizon today. He told me they are releasing a metal version of the S5 as well as a Google Play Edition. Unfortunately they have not yet received official release dates but he did confirm that it is coming.
Apparently the specs have been overstated and these devices might simply be differently cased products of the same specs as now. That is how it seems based on the leeks posted so far. If no 32GB option, no harm no foul. I mainly want CPU power rather than GPU (for emulators) and based on Anandtech first tests, the 805 from a CPU standpoint is not much better than the 800/801. GPU is much faster, but does not help emulators, since all 3D is emulated through the CPU. Same on PC's.

The A7 still beats the 805 as far as CPU. Wish the A7 was in an Android device- with 32GB and micro sd too
The Following User Says Thank You to rushless For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wtoj34
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushless View Post
Apparently the specs have been overstated and these devices might simply be differently cased products of the same specs as now. That is how it seems based on the leeks posted so far. If no 32GB option, no harm no foul. I mainly want CPU power rather than GPU (for emulators) and based on Anandtech first tests, the 805 from a CPU standpoint is not much better than the 800/801. GPU is much faster, but does not help emulators, since all 3D is emulated through the CPU. Same on PC's.

The A7 still beats the 805 as far as CPU. Wish the A7 was in an Android device- with 32GB and micro sd too
Out of curiousity what emus are you wanting a better cpu to run? Ds, ps1, SNES, gameboy, even GameCube (kinda) all run impressively.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
If I help any one any where at any time, please let me know by clicking thanks!
Current devices: HTC ONE M8, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Xoom Former devices: Droid X2, Droid Charge, Note 2,

rushless
Old
(Last edited by rushless; 26th May 2014 at 03:59 AM.)
Thanks Meter 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtoj34 View Post
Out of curiousity what emus are you wanting a better cpu to run? Ds, ps1, SNES, gameboy, even GameCube (kinda) all run impressively.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
PSP, MAME and N64 all play smoother with a faster cpu. The Note 2014 with a 5420 play faster than the S800 and S801 due to the faster cpu. GPU is better on the S800/S801, but cpu is key for emulators.

The Gamecube emu is unplayable slow on Android with current chipsets. At least two years away from a cpu gpu combo fast enough. Dolphin is the only emu that relies 50/50 on the cpu gpu. All others are about 98% cpu. That is why MAME 3D games choke on most portable devices.

The iPad Air is the closest device to playing MAME most 3D games smoothly. iOS and Android MAME 139 are compiled almost identically, so no edge to iOS. A7 is cpu beast that Anandtech confirms.

tydiamond11
Old
Thanks Meter 196

DONATE TO ME
That is probably becouse of being 64bit I would think

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
* If you find this post helpful please click the "Thanks"

Android's I own Samsung G900V, Droid Razr, HTC Incredible,
Androids I help with Droid Bionic, Amazon Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Note 2, Asus TF300t, Nexus 7,

God Bless Your Android Work
Caleb T. Durant
www.geotrekweb.com