Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,209 Members 37,811 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Sim Network

Tip us?

Banana4Life
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Sim Network

If my Moto G says it is Retail.en.GB in the System Information does that mean that any sim card/network will work with it? Its not locked with like Tesco or something like that.

Thanks

Darkshado
Old
Thanks Meter 459

DONATE TO ME
Short answer: maybe?

Longer answer: assuming this is the original, unaltered ROM and that the phone was bought outright, yes.

Long answer: I checked quickly and there doesn't seem to be any way to display SIM-lock status other than inserting a "foreign" SIM in the phone. (Samsungs have a dialer code that can tell you) If it tries to find service, you're unlocked, if it prompts for a code, you're not.

Nothing prevents flashing other XT1032 ROMs on the device, and this wouldn't affect SIM-lock, so someone else could have flashed the retail, unbranded ROM on a phone that was sold locked.
My phones: Galaxy Note II SGH-T889V (with LTE enabled / ext4 SD card support on TouchWiz ROMs), Motorola XT-1045 Moto G LTE (TWRP)
Previous phones: Nexus S GT-I9020A, Galaxy Gio GT-S5660M (Arpeggiomod ROM / Discussion, stock rooted ROM), Motorola XT-1032 Moto G.
Phones for which I play "tech support" for family and friends: Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250, Galaxy Q SGH-T589R, Galaxy 551 GT-I5510M, LG C-800G Eclypse, Motorola XT-1032 Moto G