Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,793 Members 41,976 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What's the USB 3.0 for?

Tip us?

ImSoBored
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Default [Q] What's the USB 3.0 for?

Hey all,

I was just wondering, what's the USB 3.0 for? I mean, the micro SD card isn't fast enough to max out usb 2.0 transfer speeds, and the internal space is capped by the MTP system, right?

Thanks in advanced.

fenchai
Old
Thanks Meter 28
I believe sammy made internal sd cappable of transfering real quick, I tested it with my 32gb dunno wat was it called, but its supposed to be fast, like real fast...so 3.0 is from cellphone to computer, If yours support it, it will be the same as int storage to ext microsd(if it supports fast transfers)

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

bnight
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenchai View Post
I believe sammy made internal sd cappable of transfering real quick, I tested it with my 32gb dunno wat was it called, but its supposed to be fast, like real fast...so 3.0 is from cellphone to computer, If yours support it, it will be the same as int storage to ext microsd(if it supports fast transfers)

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
I don`t think the USB 3.0 is useful at all the Class 10 SD Cards has a write speed of 40 MB/s USB 2.0 is 60 MB/s so yes the SD card couldn`t even match the USB 2.0 Spec and internal storage is only 16 GB so even if it`s capable of reaching USB 3.0 speeds which I highly doubt as the USB 3.0 speeds are really close to the SATA 3.0 Specs and currently there is no hard disk on the world matching the SATA 3.0 Specs so I doubt that the internal storage is capable of reaching USB 3.0 so yes the USB 3.0 is not useful probably the only reason we have it is because it charge the phone faster then a USB 2.0 cable because of the additional pins.

luigi311
Old
Thanks Meter 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnight View Post
I don`t think the USB 3.0 is useful at all the Class 10 SD Cards has a write speed of 40 MB/s USB 2.0 is 60 MB/s so yes the SD card couldn`t even match the USB 2.0 Spec and internal storage is only 16 GB so even if it`s capable of reaching USB 3.0 speeds which I highly doubt as the USB 3.0 speeds are really close to the SATA 3.0 Specs and currently there is no hard disk on the world matching the SATA 3.0 Specs so I doubt that the internal storage is capable of reaching USB 3.0 so yes the USB 3.0 is not useful probably the only reason we have it is because it charge the phone faster then a USB 2.0 cable because of the additional pins.
I think they went with usb 3.0 with the sole purpose of increasing charging rate, the batteries are starting to increase in size but the rate they charge hasn't really changed much so they went with usb 3.0 to increase the rate. Quickcharge 2.0 is coming soon though so that should help to

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

markymarkis
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi311 View Post
I think they went with usb 3.0 with the sole purpose of increasing charging rate, the batteries are starting to increase in size but the rate they charge hasn't really changed much so they went with usb 3.0 to increase the rate. Quickcharge 2.0 is coming soon though so that should help to

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
usb chargers are NOT usb 3, they don't have the extra back row of pins needed, they only use the standard 4 pin usb which is usb 2. if you use a charging program like galaxy charging current you get no improvement with usb2 over usb3. most s5's were only shipped with usb2 cables anyway. quick charge 2.0 is based on standard usb2.
The Following User Says Thank You to markymarkis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

prot-
Old
Thanks Meter 27
yeah i dont see any speed difference tbh

bnight
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarkis View Post
usb chargers are NOT usb 3, they don't have the extra back row of pins needed, they only use the standard 4 pin usb which is usb 2. if you use a charging program like galaxy charging current you get no improvement with usb2 over usb3. most s5's were only shipped with usb2 cables anyway. quick charge 2.0 is based on standard usb2.
Yes if you charge from Laptop but what if you use the charger ? Since i have both usb 3 and usb 2 cables I will test to see if there is a difference in the charging time.

sandeep20064096
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Can you please test and let us know whether usb 3.0 cable charges faster or not

Sent from my SM-G900H using XDA Free mobile app