Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,111 Members 48,691 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bypass T-Mobile Tethering Restriction?

Tip us?

undercover nerd
Old
Thanks Meter 121

DONATE TO ME
[QUOT??E=njdevils28;52109265]The Dev added a new option to disconect from WiFi Network when you enable tethering and start the Cell Data plan going. That way you just have to enable the App and it will disconect from an Active WiFi Conection for you. It works well.

I have attached the update from the Developer. I just saw that he updated his App on google play so the APK here is moot. Just update the App from the store and it will apear.

-NJ[/QUOTE]
Anyway to get the apk to work with out paying for it it says must buy to work lucky pAtcher

BlackAlpha7
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Are there any other root work arounds besides paying for some app that may or may not work?

I can't remember the exact link but a few days ago I did find one that said it would work by changing one of the database settings through a SQL editor to wifi_tether_dun = 0 however after doing that it still checks my account and says it is not setup for mobile hotspot.

Does the Omega ROM (which I have seen multiple people says supports tethering out of the box) still have wifi calling included in it? I know with a lot of the custom roms you lose wifi calling and I am not willing to do that just yet.

jjlean
Old
(Last edited by jjlean; 23rd April 2014 at 04:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 106
Edit

BLuFeNiX
Old
Thanks Meter 180

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlean View Post
Settings>hotspot>enable> then where u type the ssid in there is a check box to broadcast said. U want that on.

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app
I think you meant to reply to someone else.
If you like my work, feel free to donate, or just hit the THANKS BUTTON.

Want to make your own boot animations from an animated GIF? Check out my software! - Gif2Boot (no root required)

jjlean
Old
Thanks Meter 106
edit

undercover nerd
Old
Thanks Meter 121

DONATE TO ME
So I noticed some Roms already have ip4v on them but I'm confused how can I get this tethering to actually work I don't wanna buy that app

TheArtiszan
Old
Thanks Meter 80
I bought pdanet a while ago and it works great on my non rooted device for wired tethering.
Which will work perfectly if you are just using a computer

BlackAlpha7
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover nerd View Post
So I noticed some Roms already have ip4v on them but I'm confused how can I get this tethering to actually work I don't wanna buy that app
Are you still on the stock ROM or did you flash something else? The only way to get around it right now i'm aware of on stock is to buy some program.

I just installed Project Infinity and Tethering is kinda working: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2723915&page=1

caodangra
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Native tethering work flawless with Jovy Mod on my S5

Why paid for app to have hotspot? Use Jovy Mod ...here is the link http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2057344

LiquidZero
Old
Thanks Meter 31

DONATE TO ME
Angry Success!

And another note: If you have a saved WiFi connection, forget and delete it... then enable WiFi, then enable Tether!!!

Ping=70ms DL=18.28 Mbps UL=7.06 Mbps T-Mobile USA using LTE.

And $2.50 is worth the price hike for their stupid tethering prices. Suck it up and grow some, son.

SM-G900T Samsung Galaxy S5 T-Mobile
Kernel 3.4.0-964333 (Stock)
Android 4.4.2 (Stock)
Root=Yes
Build KOT49H.G900TUVU1ANCH

Now I just need to figure out how to get this latest firmware update....

---------- Post added at 05:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 AM ----------

So, after digging, reading, crying, and lots of booze, I found a solution to our ongoing issue.. HOWEVER, there's a note that isn't noted that's worth noting (huh?):

Do what they say on the following thread.
Spend $2.50 on Tether Router in the Play Store; or download the .APK (one of the first few pages in the thread).
Do what they say again in the thread.
If you have any existing WiFi connections saved and connect to them automatically, delete those connections (forget), leave WiFi enabled, then turn on the WiFi Router.

Here's a summery:

Use Root Explorer or a Root browser of some sort (ROM Toolbox is great since the Root Browser includes an XML editor) and navigate to system/csc

Change the permissions for customer.xml to allow read and write access.

Modify the customer.xml file and change the IPV6 values to IPV4. Also change the "<Editable>no</Editable>" to "<Editable>yes</Editable>".

Navigate to your system settings menu for your Access Point Names Settings > Network Connections > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names. Use the Menu toggle and select the only option Reset to default. This may take a few seconds to a minute to refresh the list. If you click the "T-Mobile US LTE" APN, you should see that you can now edit the values, though you shouldn't have to if the APN Protocol is already set to IPv4. Mine is set to IPv4/IPv6 and works just fine.

Buy the darn app, Wifi Tether Router by FABIO GRASSO. It's only $2.50 and apparently, it works.

YOU NEED ROOT ACCESS

Launch Wifi Tether Router and select Configure WiFi Router.

Allow Root Access

Use the following settings to ensure stability and workability with your SGS5:
Interface wlan0
Method 3 - HostApd
Encryption wpa2-psk
Channel 1
Drivers nl80211
"HostApd Patch" <- UNCHECKED
"No Firmware Reload" <- UNCHECKED

Ensure your wireless device is N or G compatible and adjust the setting accordingly in the same list.

Back out of the configuration settings once you've set them up but don't enable the hotspot yet.

First, open your WiFi settings and Turn on WiFi. If you connect to any WiFi networks, delete those network connections and don't connect to any wifi networks and leave WiFi turned ON.

Go Back to WiFi Tether Router and Enable WiFi Router.

Poof! It should be working. If for some stupid reason it isn't, Reboot your phone, enable WiFi, and try again.

If not, try the Omega international ROM that everyone is talking about. Tether works great on it from what I hear.

Here's the original threads that helped me: Thread 1, Winning Post
Samsung Galaxy S5
T-Mobile (SM-G900T)
Android JB 4.4.2
G900TUVU1ANCH
Unlimited TLK + TXT + LTE Family
16 GB internal + 32 GB external

Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 (T-Mobile) (Retired)
Samsung Galaxy S 4G SGH-T959v (T-Mobile) (Retired)
Samsung Memoir SGH-T929 (T-Mobile) (Retired)
Samsung Behold SGH-T919 (T-Mobile) (Retired)
Samsung Sync SGH-A707 (AT&T) (Retired)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LiquidZero For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]