Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,966 Members 42,146 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Trying to avoid $100 monthly bills

Tip us?

presidential1O
Old
(Last edited by presidential1O; 26th May 2014 at 12:24 PM.) Reason: typos
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Trying to avoid $100 monthly bills

Here is my predicament and advice from persons already experienced in such affairs would be appreciated:

I bought a Samsung Galaxy SIII November of 2012 under a two year contract soon to end in 6 months. It was my very first smart phone and to this day I’m still very impressed with it. My 2 year contract came with a $103.87 monthly bill paid to Verizon so I decided to try to maximize the potential of this device. I rooted and rom’ed, which voided my warranty, but I enjoyed the extra features from PAC rom too much to care. Now, that warranty would prove useful considering last Saturday I dropped my phone into the swimming pool on accident and it received water damage. Currently, I am trying to salvage my phone by leaving it in a Ziploc bag filled with rice until around Thursday. In poor judgement, I merely tried to wipe off the water, then turned the phone on to find it still powered on. However, it would not recognize the SIM card and would bring up the power menu as if I were constantly pressing the power button. I went to Verizon to buy a new SIM card to see if that was the solution; however, a new SIM card changed nothing. Thus, it is in a rice bag after I read forum posts of miraculous recoveries, with the stipulation being to leave the phone be for upwards to a week (or for as long as my willpower will allow).

Now what I’ve come to ask advice for,
(All considering my phone will not recover)

I will need a new phone and I’m heavily leaning towards the LG G3 yet to be released.
However, my $100 bill to Verizon doesn’t seem worth it anymore considering I’m recently college graduated and so the 4G LTE is more of a luxury now. From what I understand, the early termination fee under Verizon is $350 - $10 of every month completed, leaving me to pay $170 (18 months completed I’m assuming).

The LG G3 is supposed to come out on the 4 major carriers, and I plan to switch to the most affordable alternative. From people who have switched carriers or had similar experiences, who did you switch to, and how much did you end up saving a month? Also, is there a fault in my plan to change carriers, and who would you recommend I switch to? I vaguely understand Verizon is the most premium (and expensive) whereas Sprint and T-Mobile are more affordable. I’m just unsure of what I should do (other than trying to avoid $100 monthly cell phone bills for the next 2 years!)

Gracious for all the advice you can give me!

Naddict
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 13667
go here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2229761 or here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1620179

and read and interact there to derive your answer
Every time you don't use search, a kitten, bunny, baby turtle, and fuzzy Harp Seal are killed.

Read the Rules! -- Search Before You Post! -- Learn about XDA -- Need A Moderators Help? -- Get the Most out of XDA! -- Curious about GPL?
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe