Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Can't Boot - Tough Question

OP PeterBarnett

26th May 2014, 03:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
Hey there. So I'm new to XDA but not so much to flashing and what not. I often, however, do dumb tests that fail and brick my phone, but I always get it back. This one is a little tougher. Here are the details:

-HTC One (M8) T-Mobile

-Phone was unlocked and rooted (still unlocked, not sure about rooted), but S-On.

-Tried flashing a kernel with S-On. Turned out to be packaged in a recovery. Didn't go so well. Turning the device on always went straight to Fastboot mode.

-Eventually got Philz recovery installed. Tried sideloading a nandroid backup. No avail. Still booting straight to fastboot.

Any ideas? Not a genius, but I know my way around. Is there any 100% complete refresh coming straight from Fastboot?
Last edited by PeterBarnett; 26th May 2014 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Added model type
26th May 2014, 03:51 AM   |  #2  
Flag Vancity
Thanks Meter: 1,814

1,776 posts
Donate to Me
More
What exactly did you try to flash?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
26th May 2014, 04:03 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmatt604

What exactly did you try to flash?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The new OTA update first. When that didn't work, I tried flashing the stock kernel back.
26th May 2014, 05:17 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 16

119 posts
Go here, read, try it.

Look at last few posts as well concerning tmo

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52242287
26th May 2014, 10:09 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 48

302 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umjammerlammy

Go here, read, try it.

Look at last few posts as well concerning tmo

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52242287

I haven't read the thread in that link, but in my experience when it boots straight to recovery it means the boot image is corrupt or missing. Not sure if you can do this with s-on, but to get back to normal I flashed twrp then downloaded and flashed a stock nandroid backup, then flashed an OTA via TWRP. After that everything was back to normal.
26th May 2014, 01:58 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 16

119 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyx

I haven't read the thread in that link, but in my experience when it boots straight to recovery it means the boot image is corrupt or missing. Not sure if you can do this with s-on, but to get back to normal I flashed twrp then downloaded and flashed a stock nandroid backup, then flashed an OTA via TWRP. After that everything was back to normal.

Ah, yes.

This also would work.

Most likely he's got OS-
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread