Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,035 Members 41,789 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't Boot - Tough Question

Tip us?
 
PeterBarnett
Old
(Last edited by PeterBarnett; 26th May 2014 at 02:23 AM.) Reason: Added model type
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: May 2014
Default [Q] Can't Boot - Tough Question

Hey there. So I'm new to XDA but not so much to flashing and what not. I often, however, do dumb tests that fail and brick my phone, but I always get it back. This one is a little tougher. Here are the details:

-HTC One (M8) T-Mobile

-Phone was unlocked and rooted (still unlocked, not sure about rooted), but S-On.

-Tried flashing a kernel with S-On. Turned out to be packaged in a recovery. Didn't go so well. Turning the device on always went straight to Fastboot mode.

-Eventually got Philz recovery installed. Tried sideloading a nandroid backup. No avail. Still booting straight to fastboot.

Any ideas? Not a genius, but I know my way around. Is there any 100% complete refresh coming straight from Fastboot?
 
djmatt604
Old
#2  
djmatt604's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,764
Posts: 1,749
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Vancity

 
DONATE TO ME
What exactly did you try to flash?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Past/Current Devices: Galaxy Tab 10.1 (sold), Galaxy S2 T989D x2, Galaxy S3 T999, Galaxy Note2 I317M (sold), HTC One M8 (current)

TEAM INFAMOUS ON FACEBOOK: CLICK HERE

If you're new, THIS IS REQUIRED READING.
 
PeterBarnett
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmatt604 View Post
What exactly did you try to flash?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
The new OTA update first. When that didn't work, I tried flashing the stock kernel back.
 
umjammerlammy
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 117
Join Date: May 2014
Go here, read, try it.

Look at last few posts as well concerning tmo

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52242287
 
ashyx
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 287
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by umjammerlammy View Post
Go here, read, try it.

Look at last few posts as well concerning tmo

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52242287
I haven't read the thread in that link, but in my experience when it boots straight to recovery it means the boot image is corrupt or missing. Not sure if you can do this with s-on, but to get back to normal I flashed twrp then downloaded and flashed a stock nandroid backup, then flashed an OTA via TWRP. After that everything was back to normal.
 
umjammerlammy
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 117
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyx View Post
I haven't read the thread in that link, but in my experience when it boots straight to recovery it means the boot image is corrupt or missing. Not sure if you can do this with s-on, but to get back to normal I flashed twrp then downloaded and flashed a stock nandroid backup, then flashed an OTA via TWRP. After that everything was back to normal.
Ah, yes.

This also would work.

Most likely he's got OS-
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Stream Your Media Files with the New Version of Droid Sync Manager

Android is a Linux-based operating system, but this fact doesn’t put … more

Old but Gold Internet Browser is a Blast from the Past

A Web browser is one of these applications that we can’t live without. We useit … more

Real-World Battery Saving Tips for Android – XDA Developer TV

You need Real-World Battery Saving Tips for your Android device. Our … more

Android L Will Have Data Encryption Turned On by Default

Android L, once it is eventually released, will featuredata encryption turned on by … more