Post Reply

have i missed anything!?

OP reg66

25th May 2014, 10:07 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
191 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
have i missed anything!!!???

i'm a noob to this. here's what i'm planning on doing when my i9505 arrives...

1. root device

2. install goo mgr/twrp recovery

3. backup stock rom

4. back up efs with efs pro

5. flash bootloader and modem from wanam

6. flash wanamlite rom

7. (if neccessary) flash O2 modem

anything i've missed out? cheers
25th May 2014, 10:56 PM   |  #2  
Repulsa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Your Mom's crib
Thanks Meter: 2,049
 
1,866 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg66

have i missed anything!!!???

i'm a noob to this. here's what i'm planning on doing when my i9505 arrives...

Remember flashing a custom rom/rooting will void your warranty.
1/4 all good .
5. No need to flash the latest bootloader only modem . Since we already have custom kernel. But its up to u.
6. Full wipe.
7.flash wanam
8. Chexk sammobile/ what modem you need base from your country/ provider.

...
Last edited by Repulsa; 25th May 2014 at 11:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Repulsa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th May 2014, 11:47 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
191 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
deleted
Last edited by reg66; 26th May 2014 at 02:11 PM.
26th May 2014, 02:11 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
191 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsa

Remember flashing a custom rom/rooting will void your warranty.
1/4 all good .
5. No need to flash the latest bootloader only modem . Since we already have custom kernel. But its up to u.
6. Full wipe.
7.flash wanam
8. Chexk sammobile/ what modem you need base from your country/ provider.

...

should i not do a full wipe before flashing modem/bootloader, or does it not matter either way?
26th May 2014, 02:19 PM   |  #5  
gsmyth's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 425
 
1,305 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg66

should i not do a full wipe before flashing modem/bootloader, or does it not matter either way?

If you flash the modem using Odin, then you don't need to wipe anything or lose any data, I wouldn't bother flashing the bootloader.
The Following User Says Thank You to gsmyth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th May 2014, 02:38 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
191 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmyth

If you flash the modem using Odin, then you don't need to wipe anything or lose any data, I wouldn't bother flashing the bootloader.

thanks. sorry, but is there any reason why i shouldn't bother flashing bootloader, only wanam says to before flashing his rom
26th May 2014, 02:42 PM   |  #7  
gsmyth's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 425
 
1,305 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg66

thanks. sorry, but is there any reason why i shouldn't bother flashing bootloader, only wanam says to before flashing his rom

Well it depends what your phone is running out of the box, but the main reason is if you're phone happens to be on a pre-Knox (4.2.2) bootloader, its best to avoid updating to a newer one as once you have it you can't downgrade it. Or you will trip the Knox warranty when rooting/flashing recovery/custom ROMs.

So a check before updating/flashing anything is best, you can boot into download mode and check for a line that says 'knox 0x0'. If its there that means you have the Knox bootloader already, if not you're on the old one.

I'm still running the bootloader from I9505XXUBMGA firmware and so Im Knox free and can continue to flash custom ROMs (currently on custom stock based 4.4.2 rom) and revert back to full stock I9505XXUBMGA firmware if needed (so my device can be returned to out of the box state for warranty purposes). I only update the modem when needed, usually after there is a version or other significant change.
Last edited by gsmyth; 26th May 2014 at 02:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gsmyth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th May 2014, 03:01 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
191 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmyth

Well it depends what your phone is running out of the box, but the main reason is if you're phone happens to be on a pre-Knox (4.2.2) bootloader, its best to avoid updating to a newer one as once you have it you can't downgrade it. Or you will trip the Knox warranty when rooting/flashing recovery/custom ROMs.

So a check before updating/flashing anything is best, you can boot into download mode and check for a line that says 'knox 0x0'. If its there that means you have the Knox bootloader already, if not you're on the old one.

I'm still running the bootloader from I9505XXUBMGA firmware and so Im Knox free and can continue to flash custom ROMs (currently on custom stock based 4.4.2 rom) and revert back to full stock I9505XXUBMGA firmware if needed (so my device can be returned to out of the box state for warranty purposes). I only update the modem when needed, usually after there is a version or other significant change.

cool, thanks. bought the phone off of ebay though, so warranty is not an issue. cheers again
26th May 2014, 03:06 PM   |  #9  
gsmyth's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 425
 
1,305 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg66

cool, thanks. bought the phone off of ebay though, so warranty is not an issue. cheers again

No worries, check back here once you get it if you have any more questions as there is always someone to here help.
The Following User Says Thank You to gsmyth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th May 2014, 03:10 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
191 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmyth

No worries, check back here once you get it if you have any more questions as there is always someone to here help.

cheers fella

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy S 4 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank