Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,031 Members 44,848 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Dead GPS

Tip us?

adsbar
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Question [Q] Dead GPS

Hoping for some help with my GPS issues.

I have a 32G Nexus 7 2012 Wifi.
GPS has worked on it in the past - I was using Copilot.
Haven't used the feature in a while.
Currently on the most recent official PA ROM.
Tried to use Copilot, got no satellites. Downloaded every GPS app (free) I could find, approx 5 of them. I have reset the GPS several times, and downloaded AGPS data. The apps show that the GPS is turned on (it says GPS off when off). At each trial, I stand outside under open sky for 3-10 min.
Just for fun, tried Franco kernel, no change.
I have checked location settings, and tried both with all location services as well as GPS only.
Multiple reboots attempted.
Popped off the back, looked at GPS contacts - they are intact. I bent them carefully up a little, no dice. I believe they probably hit the contacts on the back cover antenna, but of course I can't be sure.

My next attempt will be to put a little bead of solder on the contacts on both the spring contacts and the flat contacts on the back cover. If that doesn't do it, I'm out of ideas. I can do a full wipe, but I'd like to exhaust all other options first. The last time I had GPS working was before Kitkat. However, search does not show anything helpful with my issue.
SGS III
AllianceRom 23

adsbar
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Still dead

Building up the contacts with solder did nothing.

Finally bit the bullet and reflashed to latest CM11 nightly (5/20/14). Still dead.

This seems to point to a hardware problem. Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot? I was hoping to use my N7 as my GPS when I move from Wisconsin to Texas next month.
SGS III
AllianceRom 23

exglynco
Old
(Last edited by exglynco; 22nd May 2014 at 05:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 15
Sandwich little bits of aluminum foil between the contacts and the gps antenna. Sorry for the outdated suggestion. Have you checked these considerations?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

wolroc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I had the same problem with many different Roms on my N7. Finally I have found a solution in the web:
1) Generate the directory /data/gps
2) Change the directory access rights to 775, i.e. RWX RWX R-X

Already then everything should work fine, otherwise perform a reboot.
You will see in the new directory a file named "gps.interface.pipe.to_gpsd" plus some others.

Currently this solution is working fine for me with a cm11 nightly 23.5.2014 (also before with the milestone version).
Tags
gps