Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,857 Members 44,597 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

make a project executable on raspberry pi

Tip us?

druid65
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default make a project executable on raspberry pi

Hi guys
I have created a project which consists of a main GUI interface that incorporates four games, where one of the games opens another GUI which also incorporates four other small games, and all the scripts are found in one folder, also the games are aimed towards autistic children. For the project i used python 3, with pygame for the games and Tkinter for the GUI's .

My main issue is that i would like to make the whole project run directly from the raspberry desktop, without having the user open a terminal or the python script, and having been going round in circles as how i can maybe make this happen and cannot seem to find or not looking in the right direction, my raspberry pi is running on raspbian.

I would appreciate if anyone could direct/suggest me on what would be the best thing to do or else to point me to any step by step tutorials so as to make the project easily accessible for autistic children. Thanks.

francisco.r
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by druid65 View Post
Hi guys
I have created a project which consists of a main GUI interface that incorporates four games, where one of the games opens another GUI which also incorporates four other small games, and all the scripts are found in one folder, also the games are aimed towards autistic children. For the project i used python 3, with pygame for the games and Tkinter for the GUI's .

My main issue is that i would like to make the whole project run directly from the raspberry desktop, without having the user open a terminal or the python script, and having been going round in circles as how i can maybe make this happen and cannot seem to find or not looking in the right direction, my raspberry pi is running on raspbian.

I would appreciate if anyone could direct/suggest me on what would be the best thing to do or else to point me to any step by step tutorials so as to make the project easily accessible for autistic children. Thanks.
Make your script executable with the command:
chmod +x script_file_name
Then create a desktop icon for it by following these steps:
1. Create a "somename.desktop" file in your user's Desktop directory. (like /home/pi/Desktop)
2. The contents of the file is as follows.
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Somename-which-represent-your-application
Exec=/path/to/your/executable/script/file
Icon=/path/to/your/icon/file
Terminal=false
3. After this, if you double click on the icon on Desktop, the application starts automatically.

Got this from the raspberry pi forum written by the user Srinivas.