Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,905 Members 39,938 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why do I have to pull the battery to restart the phone when I power off/reboot?

Tip us?

biga72112
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Why do I have to pull the battery to restart the phone when I power off/reboot?

Hello.

This my first thread. I have done some reading, but I can't find a similar problem, so I really hope that this is posted in the correct location...

I have an odd problem with my phone. I did a flash a few months ago, and I also (attempted to) update the modem and bootloader. After the reboot, I had to begin pulling the battery to get the phone to power back on after the power was off or after a restart. I've replaced the battery, charger, and installed SEVERAL new roms, but the problem persists. I don't know if I need to do something else, or if the phone is damaged...

But if it IS a programming problem, and not physical damage, then here's the real problem...

I have installed the latest version of CWM. I am running CM 11 with Kitkat 4.4.2. I would like to just flash the stock rom and see if that fixes it, but I have read that once you are running a 4.3 or beyond bootloader, you WILL brick your phone if you try to downgrade. So that stops that.

Another issue is that if I try to install a different/newer bootloader in CWM, it fails every time. I also cannot flash another version of CWM or TWRP. About halfway through the process, Odin says it has failed, no matter what version of Odin, CWM, or TWRP I am using.

So the short version of this is, based on what I've listed, how do I fix this rebooting issue?

I know that this is a long post, but I'm trying not to leave anything out. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you in advance

biga72112
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by biga72112 View Post
Hello.

This my first thread. I have done some reading, but I can't find a similar problem, so I really hope that this is posted in the correct location...

I have an odd problem with my phone. I did a flash a few months ago, and I also (attempted to) update the modem and bootloader. After the reboot, I had to begin pulling the battery to get the phone to power back on after the power was off or after a restart. I've replaced the battery, charger, and installed SEVERAL new roms, but the problem persists. I don't know if I need to do something else, or if the phone is damaged...

But if it IS a programming problem, and not physical damage, then here's the real problem...

I have installed the latest version of CWM. I am running CM 11 with Kitkat 4.4.2. I would like to just flash the stock rom and see if that fixes it, but I have read that once you are running a 4.3 or beyond bootloader, you WILL brick your phone if you try to downgrade. So that stops that.

Another issue is that if I try to install a different/newer bootloader in CWM, it fails every time. I also cannot flash another version of CWM or TWRP. About halfway through the process, Odin says it has failed, no matter what version of Odin, CWM, or TWRP I am using.

So the short version of this is, based on what I've listed, how do I fix this rebooting issue?

I know that this is a long post, but I'm trying not to leave anything out. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you in advance
Edit: --> I was able to install TWRP using Mobile Odin. Now I'm going to change the bootloader and see if that fixes the problem.

Larry2999
Old
(Last edited by Larry2999; 26th May 2014 at 04:40 AM.) Reason: Update
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Hello.

Thank you in advance
If the phone powers on itself immediately the battery is replaced, i.e. without you having to press the power button, chances are 99% you have a stuck power button problem. It's not uncommon with this device and can be routinely fixed at any repair shop or by DIY if you have the right tools and technical resources.

If the phone is working OK (other than the booting issue), I'd stay off flashing bootloaders to avoid bricking
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry2999 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

biga72112
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999 View Post
If the phone is working OK (other than the booting issue), I'd stay off flashing bootloaders to avoid bricking
Thank you very much for the reply!

No its not a power button issue. I DO have to hold the power button to power on. Here's what happens when the restart fails...

I have to:

1) pull the battery
2) sometimes, I have to hold the power button WITHOUT the battery in for a few seconds (I've had laptops that have this issue before. I think it's a static buildup of some sort.)
3) reinsert the battery
4) hold the power button, and
5) if I'm lucky, the phone will boot up.

This is only about 50% successful. Sometimes I have to do this 3-4 times.

Now, I don't know if this is a hardware issue, or a firmware/software issue. If it IS a hardware problem, then I may just replace the phone. If it's a firmware/software problem, then hopefully it can be fixed. If it's a problem with the bootloader, and a fix isn't possible, then I'll just keep on truckin' till I get a new phone.

Larry2999
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Thank you very much for the reply!

No its not a power button issue. I DO have to hold the power button to power on. Here's what happens when the restart fails...

I have to:

1) pull the battery
2) sometimes, I have to hold the power button WITHOUT the battery in for a few seconds (I've had laptops that have this issue before. I think it's a static buildup of some sort.)
3) reinsert the battery
4) hold the power button, and
5) if I'm lucky, the phone will boot up.

This is only about 50% successful. Sometimes I have to do this 3-4 times.

Now, I don't know if this is a hardware issue, or a firmware/software issue. If it IS a hardware problem, then I may just replace the phone. If it's a firmware/software problem, then hopefully it can be fixed. If it's a problem with the bootloader, and a fix isn't possible, then I'll just keep on truckin' till I get a new phone.
It's almost certainly an hardware issue. Very unlikely a firmware problem would cause this and even more likely the bootloader would. With a bootloader issue, your phone likely wouldn't even boot at all. Power button problems present in several ways and a loose power button could cause the kind of issues you've described. I'd take it to a local tech shop for a quick look before giving up on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry2999 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

biga72112
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999 View Post
It's almost certainly an hardware issue. Very unlikely a firmware problem would cause this and even more likely the bootloader would. With a bootloader issue, your phone likely wouldn't even boot at all. Power button problems present in several ways and a loose power button could cause the kind of issues you've described. I'd take it to a local tech shop for a quick look before giving up on it.

I may just wait and get me a new phone in a few months. I'm expecting a bonus from work, and I'll likely just get the new S5. Thanks for the information