Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Sudden battery drain problem

OP QuantaFille

27th May 2014, 03:34 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I have an Infuse that I got a little over two years ago. It started out with Froyo and I installed the official Gingerbread update after using the phone for a while. Long story short, I will need to keep it for a while yet so I can't just upgrade through my carrier (AT&T).

Here's my problem. A few months ago, I very abruptly had a battery problem. One day I had a normal recharge/discharge cycle in terms of how long the battery lasted (usually around 60% remaining when I plugged it in at night), and the next day the entire battery was drained in less than 14 hours. I typically leave it plugged in at work now, whereas before I could go for almost two days without needing to charge. Nothing changed in how much I used it. I had not installed any new programs.

I want to try to fix this phone before forking over money for a new one. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on here? Looking at my battery usage stats, "cell standby" seems to be in 1st or 2nd place for battery drain, depending on how much the screen has been on (with typical use for me, "display" is usually #1, but if I've not checked my messages or email much, that drops down to 2nd-4th place with cell standby at the top). I'm not sure if that info is of any help.

Someone told me recently that he had a similar problem with a (different) older phone, and someone had told him that some of the older technology in the towers was being phased out and the phone was draining its battery looking for a signal that wasn't as strong anymore due to there being fewer towers it could get a signal from. Is that true?

Thanks to whoever can give me any assistance. If you need more info please ask.
27th May 2014, 03:44 AM   |  #2  
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 131

405 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaFille

I have an Infuse that I got a little over two years ago. It started out with Froyo and I installed the official Gingerbread update after using the phone for a while. Long story short, I will need to keep it for a while yet so I can't just upgrade through my carrier (AT&T).

Here's my problem. A few months ago, I very abruptly had a battery problem. One day I had a normal recharge/discharge cycle in terms of how long the battery lasted (usually around 60% remaining when I plugged it in at night), and the next day the entire battery was drained in less than 14 hours. I typically leave it plugged in at work now, whereas before I could go for almost two days without needing to charge. Nothing changed in how much I used it. I had not installed any new programs.

I want to try to fix this phone before forking over money for a new one. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on here? Looking at my battery usage stats, "cell standby" seems to be in 1st or 2nd place for battery drain, depending on how much the screen has been on (with typical use for me, "display" is usually #1, but if I've not checked my messages or email much, that drops down to 2nd-4th place with cell standby at the top). I'm not sure if that info is of any help.

Someone told me recently that he had a similar problem with a (different) older phone, and someone had told him that some of the older technology in the towers was being phased out and the phone was draining its battery looking for a signal that wasn't as strong anymore due to there being fewer towers it could get a signal from. Is that true?

Thanks to whoever can give me any assistance. If you need more info please ask.

Lets rule out any obvious culprit by installing Wakelock Detector, and letting it run until the battery becomes low (then post the stats). There may be an app that stands out.

I have a similar issue with my current phone. It is sporadic, and I think it is a process within Android Services that came with Fly-On Mod (once a week I have bad battery but a reboot fixes it, only discovered it after installing Fly-On). Haven't bothered removing it yet because a latest ROM update seems imminent and I would rather wait for that if I'm wiping everything.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread