Unofficial Android 4.4 Lands on Three Mediatek Devices

For the last few years, devices with MTK systems-on-chip haven’t received much … more

MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Cannot Unlock Bootloader on Windows 8.1

OP killfire72

27th May 2014, 05:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Hello,

I cannot get the bootloader unlock working on my Win 8.1 laptop by any means. If I try through hasoon2000's toolkit, I get the error that the ADB server did not ACK (whatever that means). If I try using the command line and HTC's official method of getting the TokenID, I get a message that a certain ADB-related dll is not installed. I have installed the USB drivers that come with hasoon2000's toolkit about 4 times now. I installed the Android SDK and even Samsung USB drivers. I'm going to uninstall everything, can someone walk me through the step-by-step to get things working? I've read that USB 3.0 is the problem, but I only have USB 3.0 ports on my laptop.
Last edited by killfire72; 27th May 2014 at 06:01 AM.
27th May 2014, 08:57 AM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by killfire72

Hello,

I cannot get the bootloader unlock working on my Win 8.1 laptop by any means. If I try through hasoon2000's toolkit, I get the error that the ADB server did not ACK (whatever that means). If I try using the command line and HTC's official method of getting the TokenID, I get a message that a certain ADB-related dll is not installed. I have installed the USB drivers that come with hasoon2000's toolkit about 4 times now. I installed the Android SDK and even Samsung USB drivers. I'm going to uninstall everything, can someone walk me through the step-by-step to get things working? I've read that USB 3.0 is the problem, but I only have USB 3.0 ports on my laptop.

Use another computer if you can.
27th May 2014, 11:32 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 48
 
302 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
I had similar problems until I used this version of adb
http://www.mediafire.com/download/e5...roid-tools.zip

Run everything from the downloaded folder.
First of all ensure you have USB DEBUGGING enabled in DEVELOPER OPTIONS in the phone settings.
Open the downloaded folder then right click inside the folder while holding shift then choose 'Open command Windows here'
Plug in the phone using the original HTC usb cable then in the command window type ADB DEVICES. The response should be a device comprised of letters and numbers.
If you don't see any device attached try swapping the cable to another usb port. If you see your device attached then follow the unlock instructions at HTCDEV as its the most reliable way.
If still no device then it could be a usb driver problem. You should here a ding when you plug your phone in.
Make sure the Unlock_code.bin is in the above folder when unlocking.
Last edited by ashyx; 27th May 2014 at 08:21 PM.
28th May 2014, 07:26 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyx


Run everything from the downloaded folder.
First of all ensure you have USB DEBUGGING enabled in DEVELOPER OPTIONS in the phone settings.
Open the downloaded folder then right click inside the folder while holding shift then choose 'Open command Windows here'
Plug in the phone using the original HTC usb cable then in the command window type ADB DEVICES. The response should be a device comprised of letters and numbers.
If you don't see any device attached try swapping the cable to another usb port. If you see your device attached then follow the unlock instructions at HTCDEV as its the most reliable way.
If still no device then it could be a usb driver problem. You should here a ding when you plug your phone in.
Make sure the Unlock_code.bin is in the above folder when unlocking.

That version of ADB didn't work for me either. Anyway I was able to get fastboot to work but not ADB so I was able to unlock and root and everything through a strange method using only fastboot.

Second question, if I am switching between AOSP roms, say for example CM to PA, can I dirty flash or do I have to reset?
28th May 2014, 09:20 AM   |  #5  
Member
Pearland
Thanks Meter: 6
 
79 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
ADB does not work with USB 3.0 ports yet on Windows 8 or 8.1. You have to use it on a USB 2.0 port. I have had best results with Windows 7. Fastboot, however, works just fine on 8.1 and 8
28th May 2014, 01:45 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 48
 
302 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeron72548

ADB does not work with USB 3.0 ports yet on Windows 8 or 8.1. You have to use it on a USB 2.0 port. I have had best results with Windows 7. Fastboot, however, works just fine on 8.1 and 8

Not so, I and others have ADB working fine on USB 3.0 ports.

The problem is Windows 8 driver signing enforcement blocking the install of drivers. You need to go to advanced startup options to disable it.

Download these drivers first and extract: http://www.mediafire.com/download/i3...vers_Win81.zip

Follow these instructions to disable driver signing enforcement: http://www.isunshare.com/windows-8/h...8-and-8.1.html

Once fully booted go into device manager and you should see a device called 'Android 1.0' with an exclamation mark.
Right click 'Android 1.0' then 'update driver software' then 'Browse my computer for driver software'
Click the 'Browse' button and then browse to the driver folder 'ADB_Fastboot_Drivers_Win81' extracted earlier then click next to install the driver.
You will get a warning about unsigned drivers, just ignore and continue.
The drivers should install and you should see a new entry in device manager called 'Android phone' which means the ADB driver is installed.
ADB should now be working.
Last edited by ashyx; 28th May 2014 at 05:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ashyx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th May 2014, 02:20 PM   |  #7  
Member
Pearland
Thanks Meter: 6
 
79 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Thank you so much for this. Have been wondering for a very long time

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
28th May 2014, 03:20 PM   |  #8  
My Beer Belly's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 22
 
115 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
More
It sounds like you've got plenty of technical help already, but I will say that I use ADB perfectly fine on my desktop with Win 8.1 so it's possible. I also use hassoon's toolkit occasionally with no issue.

Before I could get the desktop to recognize the M8 I had to completely uninstall all drivers related to my previous galaxy nexus as well as remove any mention of the device in Window's USBdeview. After a reboot, I just plugged in the M8 and windows automatically installed the necessary M8 drivers. I can then run fastboot and adb from the toolkit.
30th May 2014, 02:37 AM   |  #9  
tommy_riley's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Portland, OR
Thanks Meter: 42
 
126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
More
I ended up uninstalling the MSFT USB 3.0 drivers and use the Intel USB 3.0 drivers instead on my Win8.1 laptop that has only USB 3.0 ports. Works great.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes