Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,865 Members 50,299 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Advice on upgrading to this phone with At&t

Tip us?
 
Kinotsu
Old
(Last edited by Kinotsu; 23rd May 2014 at 06:13 PM.)
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 47
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default Advice on upgrading to this phone with At&t

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade to the HTC One m8, and I was ready to terminate my current 2 year phone contract with At&T since I'm only 4 months away, I don't mind paying 125$ ETF, until I found out I still wouldn't be able to upgrade even if I payed my ETF. I thought it would let me upgrade early. But anyways, I'm looking for a loophole to get this new phone with a 2 year contract. What would be the best way? Could I terminate my contract and pay an ETF and then start up a new line with a new number and get the HTC one m8 on there? I don't mind losing my number but I do have unlimited data and don't want to lose that.

What if I were to cancel a family members line on my account, make them switch their number, and then start up a new line, upgrade to the m8 on the new line with the new number, and then take the HTC One m8 and switch sim cards with my phone? That way I still have my number and unlimited data and the new phone and then my family member would use the new line instead of me. Would that work?
 
an0ther
Old
#2  
an0ther's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 173
Posts: 569
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinotsu View Post
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade to the HTC One m8, and I was ready to terminate my current 2 year phone contract with At&T since I'm only 4 months away, I don't mind paying 125$ ETF, until I found out I still wouldn't be able to upgrade even if I payed my ETF. I thought it would let me upgrade early. But anyways, I'm looking for a loophole to get this new phone with a 2 year contract. What would be the best way? Could I terminate my contract and pay an ETF and then start up a new line with a new number and get the HTC one m8 on there? I don't mind losing my number but I do have unlimited data and don't want to lose that.

What if I were to cancel a family members line on my account, make them switch their number, and then start up a new line, upgrade to the m8 on the new line with the new number, and then take the HTC One m8 and switch sim cards with my phone? That way I still have my number and unlimited data and the new phone and then my family member would use the new line instead of me. Would that work?
Call 611 and say you want the new phone for contract price, or you will take your business elsewhere where they will pay your etf.
 
slappula
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Look into the Next program. When you factor in the monthly discount on your bill, it's a pretty good deal. Right now they'll let you out of a two-year contract to get you on Next.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
 
Kinotsu
Old
#4  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 47
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappula View Post
Look into the Next program. When you factor in the monthly discount on your bill, it's a pretty good deal. Right now they'll let you out of a two-year contract to get you on Next.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Don't you have to pay around 32$ extra a month? Since your paying monthly fees for the actual cost of the phone, not to mention I would lose my unlimited data.
 
takylo
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 44
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Raleigh

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinotsu View Post
Don't you have to pay around 32$ extra a month? Since your paying monthly fees for the actual cost of the phone, not to mention I would lose my unlimited data.

You are correct about the NEXT program. You will definitely lose your unlimited data, they will NOT grandfather into that plan with UL data.
Current
AT&T Note 3 ROM:[STOCK].
LG G Pad 8.3 ROM:[STOCK].
Moto Atrix HD rooted (damaged LCD)


Retired
sold LG Optimus G Pro
sold Oppo Find 5
sold LG G2
sold Nexus 5
sold Nexus 4
sold Galaxy Note 2
sold Nexus 7
sold HTC One X (Str8Talk)
sold S3 I9300 (Str8Talk)
sold Galaxy S2 on (T-Mo)
sold Galaxy Nexus on (Big Red)
 
Blueoval24
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 115
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arizona
My contract wasn't due for renewal until this November but since I bought the phone on launch day, they gave me a free upgrade (only paid 199 with a 2 year contract renewal) . So there are definitely signs that AT&T will negotiate, but you'll have to find the right terms. As someone mentioned, you may want to give them a call and say you are thinking about switching carriers.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
ATT HTC One M8 Rooted Stock ROM

ATT HTC One X+ Retired/Sold!
T-Mobile HTC G2 Retired!
T-Mobile HTC G1 Retired!
 
TheEmpyre
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 54
Posts: 410
Join Date: Sep 2012
Incorrect. You will not lose your unlimited data. I got on AT&T NEXT without losing unlimited. I decided to willingly change after the fact because it was way too expensive with my nationwide plan. And turns out I don't use more than about 3 GB data a month anyways. But you can absolutely keep your unlimited data, you just must be explicit about it when you are in the store. Tell them you'll lose it if they change your data plan, and they will listen hopefully.... Haha

Sent from my HTC One_M8
The Dark Ages:

iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4

The Revolution:

HTC One X (Sold)
Samsung Galaxy s4 (Sold)

Current: HTC One M8
 
slappula
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Oct 2013
I held in to unlimited for a long time, but they throttle after a certain limit anyway (5 gig)? Looking at my usage, the mobile share made much more sense. It wasn't that way when they first introduced the program, but it makes sense now (for me at least).

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
 
Android The Greek
Old
#9  
Android The Greek's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 341
Posts: 1,241
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pottstown
May be cheaper to sell your existing phone and pay the difference. I always find a good trade on Craig's list.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Make Text Entry More Efficient with Macro Text Expansion

One of the best things about the modern day smartphone is its ability to save us … more

Fix KitKat WiFi Drops on Your Own

Despite introducing many useful features and overall great performance and enhancements,Android 4.4 KitKat … more

Bring Back Tablet UI on KitKat

Google presented their brand new UI for tablets alongsidethe release of Android 3.0 Honeycomb back in early … more

Give Your Notification Shade a Facelift with these Modding Guides

Modification has always been one of the strong suits of Android, due in … more