Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,414 Members 49,314 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Moisture in camera :(

Tip us?

shaf46
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quist View Post
I agree with your assessment as the device being defective. I know that the hatches were closed and that coupled with the IP58 leads to the conclusion that it's defective if water got in some how. But here's the rub - although the onus should be on the vendor to bear the burden of proof, manufacturers of these devices have covered their backsides by not adjusting their warranty terms to allow coverage of water damage even though they market the devices as waterproof and water resistant. How can they do that? Well they design in an "out" for themselves by putting hatches on the things. Suddenly, they shift the burden of proof to us consumers.

My first device sucked in water like a sponge. Proving this on film was an easy match as you could see bubbles pouring out of it as water poured in.

My second device showed no problems in the same test over about 5 mins in a pitcher of water. Then after a day at the waterpark, the lens fogged over. I dried it our in rice and redid the water pitcher test - nothing. I even left it in the water for a good 15 hours and it kept working and showed no fog on the lens. Then, hours later as I began using it again and a temperature differential arose between the air in the phone and the temp outside, it fogged over, proving that a drop or two of water got in some how.

So now I'm in a bind. The phone keeps working through all the tests I put it through and water invasion is so slight that it only shows up in use after taking it out of water and comes and goes. Still, as soon as I take it to the pool or lake, I won't be able to rely on the camera working right. Catch-22.
ahhh there's humidity inside the phone each time the processor is heating up, it vaporise the humidity and it create that fogg i suggest that you send it for repair if its still on warranty, if not the phone is useless

deepflash
Old
Thanks Meter 48
There also might be long term effects by corossion.

Gesendet von meinem D6503 mit Tapatalk

Quist
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Problem is that the warranty is void upon water damage and if I can't prove that the phone leaks with all of the flaps closed, their conclusion would be that water got into the unit due to negligence (leaving the flaps open) and my warranty would be void, plus I'd be stuck with either a testing bill and the unfixed phone or opt to pay for the repairs on my own (which would presumably be 60-80% of the new price of the phone).

My first phone was clearly defect and it was easy to prove that it leaked. The second phone leaks either very, very slowly or only very little - not so much that I could prove it to be leaky like the first one. It might even fulfill the IP58 cert and still leak - I mean the IPx8 cert doesn't rule out water invasion, just specifies how long and how deep the phone should be able to go without failing.

shaf46
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quist View Post
Problem is that the warranty is void upon water damage and if I can't prove that the phone leaks with all of the flaps closed, their conclusion would be that water got into the unit due to negligence (leaving the flaps open) and my warranty would be void, plus I'd be stuck with either a testing bill and the unfixed phone or opt to pay for the repairs on my own (which would presumably be 60-80% of the new price of the phone).

My first phone was clearly defect and it was easy to prove that it leaked. The second phone leaks either very, very slowly or only very little - not so much that I could prove it to be leaky like the first one. It might even fulfill the IP58 cert and still leak - I mean the IPx8 cert doesn't rule out water invasion, just specifies how long and how deep the phone should be able to go without failing.
What does the warranty covers ?

raducanmihai
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Warranty covers manufacture defects but not water damage. Also, they advertise it as a waterproof phone. So, if you take it to a pool and water gets in, even doing everything right (flaps closed) if it's a manufacture defect you have no warranty because water damage it's not covered. It's like: Z2 it's waterproof on your risk!