Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] f2fs and ext4

OP XSLdesire

23rd May 2014, 08:43 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
Could someone tell me the differences between f2fs and ext4? And what's better?
24th May 2014, 02:46 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 25

148 posts
More
I can be a smart a$$ and tell you to "google it", but I don't like that attitude

I came across f2fs when using devil kernel, and from readings, it seems f2fs is a new file system created by samsung to replace ext4 for mobile devices, as it is supposed to be faster, and a couple of articles claimed that it was when used on the motorola X (I think...) than standard ext4.

Basically it was a tradeoff between faster boot times (ext4) and a faster overall system (f2fs), and when I tested it on 4.3 stock roms with devil kernel, I can honestly say I saw improvement, but the whole process (special recovery, special kernel, modifying update scripts for roms not to format back to ext4 before flashing, or going through the whole ext4-2-f2fs cycle after every update) was hell, and I consider myself an above-average user.

So until it is made a bit easier or more user friendly, I'd stay away, as the performance boost is not worth the hassle for the normal-user.

just my 2cents
The Following User Says Thank You to ticktock666 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th May 2014, 11:03 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticktock666

I can be a smart a$$ and tell you to "google it", but I don't like that attitude

I came across f2fs when using devil kernel, and from readings, it seems f2fs is a new file system created by samsung to replace ext4 for mobile devices, as it is supposed to be faster, and a couple of articles claimed that it was when used on the motorola X (I think...) than standard ext4.

Basically it was a tradeoff between faster boot times (ext4) and a faster overall system (f2fs), and when I tested it on 4.3 stock roms with devil kernel, I can honestly say I saw improvement, but the whole process (special recovery, special kernel, modifying update scripts for roms not to format back to ext4 before flashing, or going through the whole ext4-2-f2fs cycle after every update) was hell, and I consider myself an above-average user.

So until it is made a bit easier or more user friendly, I'd stay away, as the performance boost is not worth the hassle for the normal-user.

just my 2cents

thank you very much
27th May 2014, 11:51 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 6

53 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSLdesire

thank you very much

Indeed. I've always stuck with ext4 on android, but wondered whether I should investigate. Was disillusioned by their dreadful RFS on my i9000. Will keep an open mind to trying it one day in the future.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread