[Q] HTC One J (HTL22) help with root please

Search This thread

moku160

Nov 7, 2006
I bought a second hand HTL22 that was updated to the latest software and h-boot. Here are my specs

HBoot - 1.54.000
OS - 2.21.970.2

I payed someone on yahoo auctions japan[/URL] to S-Off it for me with plans to do the rest myself.

It came back with

CID - 111111111 - OK
S-OFF - OK

Upon getting it back I was able to unlock the Bootloader using the htcdev way and flash CWM and/or TWRP recoveries.

My issue now is that when I enter either recoveries, the partitions cannot be loaded nor can I sideload so I cannot root it. BUT I can boot fine into the OS...

I was thinking that its something to do with the partitions but right now I am at a loss. Does anyone have the partition table info for a stock HTL22 so I can at least compare? Really any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Got everything to work and I will lay it out here - Unlock Bootloader, Root, Custom Rom, and Sim Unlock - Working on Softbank GSM

First of all everything that I did assumes that you have S-OFF and Super-CID and can adb/fastboot into your OneJ. This also assumes that all files you download will be put into the same folder as your adb and fastboot commands

1. Unlock Bootloader - I used the htcdec method
2. Install TWRP recovery - (Make sure you install the right recovery for your device and software version - this was my problem previously. If you install the wrong version you will not be able to mount your partitions and therefore cannot do the next step.
- Download the appropriate TWRP version from here: linkhttp://www.scottish-vinegar.com/%E5%B0%8F%E7%89%A9%E7%BD%AE%E3%81%8D%E5%A0%B4/...I downloaded the 4.2.2 version
- *this step is optional and you can do it later but will save you bit of time to do it now
download SU and push it onto your device
adb push UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.91 /sdcard/
- reboot into fastboot
-
fastboot flash recovery twrp250-m7_wlj_422.img
--- Your file name may differ
- reboot into recovery
3. Root your device
- Click install
- browse to your sdcard and click your superuser file (if you did not previously download and put this file on your device you will have to reboot into your OS and do it now. Please look at the second step of the recovery section for more info
- reboot
4. Install Google Edition Rom *This step is optional but I dont know if your simunlock will work wiithout it as I didnt try
- Download rom for gsm here http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23060877490001371
- push or use a file manager to put it on your phone
- reboot into recovery
- wipe cache, data, system
- install
- go back to install menu again and reinstall superuser
- reboot
5. Unlock Sim - info from here
- Download this
- install it to your device
adb push mmcblk0p19 /sdcard/
adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/mmcblk0p19 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19
- run this command
adb shell am start com.android.settings/.TestingSettings
- check your device and go into phone settings. Turn everything off except radio and set preferred network to LTE/GSM
- reboot

give it some time it should find and connect to your GSM network

Attachments

• picture004.jpg
    picture004.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,155
Last edited:

BadAzDB

Sep 1, 2013
I bought a second hand HTL22 that was updated to the latest software and h-boot. Here are my specs

HBoot - 1.54.000
OS - 2.21.970.2

I payed someone on yahoo auctions japan to S-Off it for me with plans to do the rest myself.

It came back with

CID - 111111111 - OK
S-OFF - OK

Upon getting it back I was able to unlock the Bootloader using the htcdev way and flash CWM and/or TWRP recoveries.

My issue now is that when I enter either recoveries, the partitions cannot be loaded nor can I sideload so I cannot root it. BUT I can boot fine into the OS...

I was thinking that its something to do with the partitions but right now I am at a loss. Does anyone have the partition table info for a stock HTL22 so I can at least compare? Really any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Do you mean you don't have root access? If not then just flash supersu.zip if it's letting you flash things and you'll have root access. If you can't flash anything then try to use the toolkit to root it. If not then I would suggest formatting every partition. That should help

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

moku160

Nov 7, 2006
Do you mean you don't have root access? If not then just flash supersu.zip if it's letting you flash things and you'll have root access. If you can't flash anything then try to use the toolkit to root it. If not then I would suggest formatting every partition. That should help

I tried flashing from fastboot and it wont let me, "FAILED (remote: not allowed)". I cannot flash from the recovery menus because it cannot mount my partitions therefor cannot see the files I put in them.

I will,and should have earlier, try the AIO toolkit and if that doesnt work will take it from there. Thanks!

BadAzDB

Sep 1, 2013
I tried flashing from fastboot and it wont let me, "FAILED (remote: not allowed)". I cannot flash from the recovery menus because it cannot mount my partitions therefor cannot see the files I put in them.

I will,and should have earlier, try the AIO toolkit and if that doesnt work will take it from there. Thanks!

Also try deleting cache through fastboot. If nothing works you'll have to RUU

moku160

Nov 7, 2006
Thank you for the help. Turned out i was trying to install the wrong recovery and thats why it wasnt mounting my partitions. Anyway got everything working now. Thank you!

Funkyjohn

Jan 2, 2014
Athens
I wil tell you the procedure I made and it worked

If you dont change the cid KDDI_801 it gives you an error 170!So you can change it from fast boot typing:
fastboot oem readcid (to see the cid)
fastboot oem writecid (write the cid you want,choose one from this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2445289)
then just check again if this worked by typing:
fastboot oem readcid
Then go to htcdev and do the procedure.
I flashed it and installed the international version HTL22_Global_Edition_2.24.973.1_htcsoku.zip mentioned in the website http://htcsoku.info/htcsokudev/2013device/m7_wlj/dev/global_edition/

Aqua Sta

Mar 10, 2010
If you dont change the cid KDDI_801 it gives you an error 170!So you can change it from fast boot typing:
fastboot oem readcid (to see the cid)
fastboot oem writecid (write the cid you want,choose one from this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2445289)
then just check again if this worked by typing:
fastboot oem readcid
Then go to htcdev and do the procedure.
I flashed it and installed the international version HTL22_Global_Edition_2.24.973.1_htcsoku.zip mentioned in the website http://htcsoku.info/htcsokudev/2013device/m7_wlj/dev/global_edition/

Oop... that's stupid. You can't writecid via fastboot when the phone is S-ON.

francisac3

Mar 17, 2008
badly needing help

is there any way to unlock my htc j one? im on the same version as yours.. 1.54hboot and 2.21 version.. i live here in the philippines.. it would cost me so much if i take that service you provide on yahoo auction.. TIA!

moku160

Nov 7, 2006
I have no relation to the auction sales other than being a customer.

The only way that I know of that can S-off when you have that software version is by paying someone, I assume they do it via hardware some way....

So I am sorry but I cannot help you.

peckich7

Jun 10, 2012
Help with htc htl22

Hello, I have this phone and when I put in a local sim, it doesn't ask for sim pin it just says "NO SERVICE". I'm trying to figure out if it might be a settings but have no idea how to access the network settings (change network settings gsm/wcdma etc). Is there a hidden menu? Ive been searching all over the web but haven't found it yet. Thanks in advance

[QUOt TE=BadAzDB;49656088]Do you mean you don't have root access? If not then just flash supersu.zip if it's letting you flash things and you'll have root access. If you can't flash anything then try to use the toolkit to root it. If not then I would suggest formatting every partition. That should help

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app[/QUOTE]

Udonitron

Apr 15, 2010
Victoria
This phone is SOL...since it is on 4.2.2 it is near impossible to downgrade and the Japanese walk through is a nightmare.
I cannot for the life of me get S Off etc all due to the CID lock down.
FFS :mad:

ShadowKage

Dec 4, 2010
Sim unlock

HBoot - 1.54.000
OS - 2.21.970.2

I payed someone on yahoo auctions japan[/URL] to S-Off it for me with plans to do the rest myself.

It came back with

CID - 111111111 - OK
S-OFF - OK

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Got everything to work and I will lay it out here - Unlock Bootloader, Root, Custom Rom, and Sim Unlock - Working on Softbank GSM

First of all everything that I did assumes that you have S-OFF and Super-CID and can adb/fastboot into your OneJ. This also assumes that all files you download will be put into the same folder as your adb and fastboot commands

2. Install TWRP recovery - (Make sure you install the right recovery for your device and software version - this was my problem previously. If you install the wrong version you will not be able to mount your partitions and therefore cannot do the next step.
- Download the appropriate TWRP version from here: linkhttp://www.scottish-vinegar.com/%E5%B0%8F%E7%89%A9%E7%BD%AE%E3%81%8D%E5%A0%B4/...I downloaded the 4.2.2 version
- *this step is optional and you can do it later but will save you bit of time to do it now
- reboot into fastboot
- --- Your file name may differ
- reboot into recovery
3. Root your device
- Click install
- browse to your sdcard and click your superuser file (if you did not previously download and put this file on your device you will have to reboot into your OS and do it now. Please look at the second step of the recovery section for more info
- reboot
4. Install Google Edition Rom *This step is optional but I dont know if your simunlock will work wiithout it as I didnt try
- Download rom for gsm here http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23060877490001371
- reboot into recovery
- install
- reboot
- Download this

- run this command
- check your device and go into phone settings. Turn everything off except radio and set preferred network to LTE/GSM
- reboot

So I was able to get the phone part working. However, I cant seem to get the 3G working on the phone. When I go into Mobile Data it doesnt give me an option for Preferred Network or APN settings.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

HBoot - 1.54.000
    OS - 2.21.970.2

It came back with

CID - 111111111 - OK
    S-OFF - OK

Thanks in advance.

adb push UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.91 /sdcard/
    - reboot into fastboot
    -
    fastboot flash recovery twrp250-m7_wlj_422.img
    --- Your file name may differ
    - reboot into recovery
    3. Root your device
    - Click install
    - reboot
    - reboot into recovery
    - install
    - reboot
    - Download this
    adb push mmcblk0p19 /sdcard/
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/mmcblk0p19 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19
    - run this command
    adb shell am start com.android.settings/.TestingSettings
    - reboot