Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,248 Members 37,933 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kernel explanation

Tip us?

4aces
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaschum View Post
That seems more of a Trickster Mod specific tweak.

It is more of a network speed tweak which you can read here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_c...ance_algorithm
In simple words, you have to understand what Network Congestion is, and how queues affect how much data is being transmitted. When too much data is being carried in a link or a node, the quality of service would deteriorate. To do Congestion control, it affects how much data is being transmitted through each node systematically. This is rather complicated to explain using simple terms as this is a mathematical formula which processes how much data is being transmitted.

Cubic is used by many default linux kernels. Like CPU governors, these are data transmission governors, and it is best if you use the one better for your TCP/IP connection (Carrier or Wifi)
I have another question. If I want to oc or uv is there any script I have to use or can I just apply/test right away?

nicholaschum
Old
Thanks Meter 1,117

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4aces View Post
I have another question. If I want to oc or uv is there any script I have to use or can I just apply/test right away?
Just use the main interface of either Trickster or Synapse. I use Synapse personally as my kernel provides the best interface on Synapse.
ROM Problem? Try this or ask me on G+!
Root/TWRP/Kernel/ROM and KNOX 0x0 on N900W8? My guide.

Primary Phone: OnePlus One - A0001
Mahdi v2.7 14/09, ak v40b08, MR-TWRP 2.8.0

Secondary Phone: Note 3 - SM-N900W8
Temasek UO v133, Temasek v3.93, TWRP 2.7.2, NA2 BL, NB7 CP, 0x0

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012)

OnePlus One ◆ Note 3 ◆ Xperia Tab P ◆ Nexus 7 ◆ Note II LTE ◆ S III LTE ◆ One X ◆ Note I ◆ Galaxy Nexus ◆ S II LTE ◆ S II

The Following User Says Thank You to nicholaschum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

4aces
Old
(Last edited by 4aces; 26th May 2014 at 06:31 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 701
Quote:
Just use the main interface of either Trickster or Synapse. I use Synapse personally as my kernel provides the best interface on Synapse.
What I found out so far is that the device runs smoother on performance based governors with cfq or sio scheduler. The best results I had so far was on lean kernel and ael kernel. I'm using the last at the moment cause it has a lot of settings to play with
But it seems that I'm still miles away from finding the best settings.

nicholaschum
Old
Thanks Meter 1,117

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
What I found out so far is that my device reacts not good on performance based governors & schedulers. The best results I had so far was on lean kernel and ael kernel. I'm using the last at the moment cause it has a lot of settings to play with
But it seems that I'm still miles away from finding the best settings.
I could give you some recommendations that would work well decently with 2-3 PVS valued processors.

Interactive Governor
No OC, No UV.
I/O schedulers Internal: cfq 512kb
I/O schedulers External: cfq 512kb
Dynamic Fsync Enabled
PowerSuspend driver enabled
Mdnie enabled, 0.39%
FastCharge Enabled
GPU Governor: Simple Ondemand 450MHz

I use CivZ's SneakyKat but Wootever's Custom N3 has the best battery life. If you want features you should play with CivZ's, if you like 6h screen on then you should play with Wootever.

You don't have to follow these values, but I spent days restarting my phone finding the best "average" configuration for devices ranging in my state. I found that Intellidemand didn't do so well and Interactive prevented any sporadic reboots that I got while on Intellidemand. Also read aheads of above 512kb doesn't show much speed enhancements. Synapse is great as it tells you whether your boot is successful or not, and now all my boots get Completed.

Notice: Do not soft reboot when configuring Kernels, Kernels don't get loaded properly/doesn't get reset properly so use Full reboot when configuring

OnePlus One ◆ Note 3 ◆ Xperia Tab P ◆ Nexus 7 ◆ Note II LTE ◆ S III LTE ◆ One X ◆ Note I ◆ Galaxy Nexus ◆ S II LTE ◆ S II

The Following User Says Thank You to nicholaschum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

4aces
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 701
Default cpu lock

I tried gaming with different kernels and governors and encountered a strange issue. Especially in candy crush after playing for a while the cpu locks (sometimes on 14k sometimes 12k). Reboot fixes it but I'm still curious why it locks.
@nicholaschum any idea?

Btw. my favorite settings so far are intellidemand with deadline gr8 performance and battery life is OK.

nicholaschum
Old
Thanks Meter 1,117

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I tried gaming with different kernels and governors and encountered a strange issue. Especially in candy crush after playing for a while the cpu locks (sometimes on 14k sometimes 12k). Reboot fixes it but I'm still curious why it locks.
@nicholaschum any idea?

Btw. my favorite settings so far are intellidemand with deadline gr8 performance and battery life is OK.
That's a bit weird, did you have powersaving turned on? But I assume it's off.

I think you should disable your kernel mod application in Application Manager and test it out, if it's a problem with Synapse/Trickster then one setting is a bit problematic.

4aces
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 701
Quote:
That's a bit weird, did you have powersaving turned on? But I assume it's off.

I think you should disable your kernel mod application in Application Manager and test it out, if it's a problem with Synapse/Trickster then one setting is a bit problematic.
Nope that's why it's strange. Even got it after clean flash without setting/installing any Kernel related apps.
Tested other games and they work fine so I deleted candy crush and so far no cpu lock. No idea why, that's why I was curious

nicholaschum
Old
Thanks Meter 1,117

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Nope that's why it's strange. Even got it after clean flash without setting/installing any Kernel related apps.
Tested other games and they work fine so I deleted candy crush and so far no cpu lock. No idea why, that's why I was curious
I don't play Candy Crush so I wouldn't know..haha

4aces
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 701
Quote:
I don't play Candy Crush so I wouldn't know..haha
Lol. Me neither from now on... (my kids will be sad though) Still can't really belive the game caused it