Anyone found a fix for chromecast

OP mantrajt

23rd May 2014, 06:35 PM   |  #41  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,400

8,972 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgambini

Have you had a chance to read the G+ link?

It's a bunch of folks trying to figure out how to apply different functions from the SDK/APIs. To me, it shows there are a ton of varibles and options available to developers and probably more than one way to do the same thing.

I thought this was interesting...
Hi, I'm able to see the volume level on Chromecast when I call setVolume on the sender side during the Preview SDK days. But this is no longer available in the Public SDK, setVolume don't trigger any UI on the receiver side although the audio level do change (I'm using the default media receiver). I felt that the visual feedback on volume level change should be shown by default as this is the standard expectation on TV. or have I missed out anything? is there an extra steps to trigger the UI on the receiver?

Yup I'm using the wrong api, I should be using the Cast.CastApi.setVolume(). After changing to that api, the volume UI appears now. Thanks.

I was mislead by the Preview SDK, where I used to call MediaProtocolMessageStream.setVolume() to change volume.
Volume either as a control or indicator can be integrated in to Chromecast apps on both the client and receiver side. Maybe some devs are misusing an API related to volume that conflicts with some of Samsung or Android's code on the device? Someone's coloring outside the lines and creating conflicts with other apps or an API itself isn't performing as published. Since some apps work and others don't here's some things to consider:
  • Apps that work don't use the volume control API or are applying it differently than apps that don't work.

• Apps that work have their own receiver s/w (vs. using the standard HTML5 imbedded player) and the custom s/w written for them don't use the volume control API or replace it with something proprietary.

• Apps that don't work have their own receiver s/w and the custom s/w written for them is written incorrectly as it applies to the volume controls.

• Developers of broken apps didn't apply the volume API correctly.

• Samsung's moving the volume control to the notification panel is new. The API calls and integration they are using may be perfectly valid but may have never been used before. App devs may have taken shortcuts before with no affect that are now visible because of the new valid (but previously unused) code/APIs Samsung's introduced is breaking them.

• Samsung is using non-standard code/calls to get the volume control in the task bar and in doing so created the potential for conflict with other apps that are also trying to control volume in non-standard ways. Samsung does lots of user acceptance testing so if whatever they've done broke a lot of things it would most likely have been caught. This actually started in January with the launch of the Pro's. N10.1-14 owners are just feeling the delayed impact because our 4.4 code is based off the Pro's.

• Google's doing something non-published in their client apps that cast to Chromecast that's causing a problem. Since they own Android they can pretty much do whatever they want.

Quote:

My very very very non technical observation is that the volume being in the status/notification bar could be the cause. If you change the volume on the tablet, you get the stock looking popup on the screen showing the volume. The volume slider in the status bar will change its look. For example when your sound is on it has a notification sound icon, playing music it has a speaker icon etc. When you use youtube or hbo go, they both generate their own volume pop up that looks nothing like the stock android system pop up. Is it possible that the staus bar does not know how to show chromecast volume and crashes?

The OS controls volume. Individual apps just send it instructions via an API/code. As long as everyone colors between the lines it shouldn't matter when, where, or what the volume controls look like or when they appear. If you touch the right sight of the display when Samsung's stock video player is running you'll see a vertical volume control appear. Touch the left side and the same thing happens for brightness. In and of itself apps independently manipulating OS controls like volume and brightness isn't a problem.
23rd May 2014, 06:50 PM   |  #42  
Thanks Meter: 5

37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

It's a bunch of folks trying to figure out how to apply different functions from the SDK/APIs. To me, it shows there are a ton of varibles and options available to developers and probably more than one way to do the same thing.

I thought this was interesting...

Hi, I'm able to see the volume level on Chromecast when I call setVolume on the sender side during the Preview SDK days. But this is no longer available in the Public SDK, setVolume don't trigger any UI on the receiver side although the audio level do change (I'm using the default media receiver). I felt that the visual feedback on volume level change should be shown by default as this is the standard expectation on TV. or have I missed out anything? is there an extra steps to trigger the UI on the receiver?

Yup I'm using the wrong api, I should be using the Cast.CastApi.setVolume(). After changing to that api, the volume UI appears now. Thanks.

I was mislead by the Preview SDK, where I used to call MediaProtocolMessageStream.setVolume() to change volume.
Volume either as a control or indicator can be integrated in to Chromecast apps on both the client and receiver side. Maybe some devs are misusing an API related to volume that conflicts with some of Samsung or Android's code on the device? Someone's coloring outside the lines and creating conflicts with other apps or an API itself isn't performing as published. Since some apps work and others don't here's some things to consider:
  • Apps that work don't use the volume control API or are applying it differently than apps that don't work.

• Apps that work have their own receiver s/w (vs. using the standard HTML5 imbedded player) and the custom s/w written for them don't use the volume control API or replace it with something proprietary.

• Apps that don't work have their own receiver s/w and the custom s/w written for them is written incorrectly as it applies to the volume controls.

• Developers of broken apps didn't apply the volume API correctly.

• Samsung's moving the volume control to the notification panel is new. The API calls and integration they are using may be perfectly valid but may have never been used before. App devs may have taken shortcuts before with no affect that are now visible because of the new valid (but previously unused) code/APIs Samsung's introduced is breaking them.

• Samsung is using non-standard code/calls to get the volume control in the task bar and in doing so created the potential for conflict with other apps that are also trying to control volume in non-standard ways. Samsung does lots of user acceptance testing so if whatever they've done broke a lot of things it would most likely have been caught. This actually started in January with the launch of the Pro's. N10.1-14 owners are just feeling the delayed impact because our 4.4 code is based off the Pro's.

• Google's doing something non-published in their client apps that cast to Chromecast that's causing a problem. Since they own Android they can pretty much do whatever they want.

The OS controls volume. Individual apps just send it instructions via an API/code. As long as everyone colors between the lines it shouldn't matter when, where, or what the volume controls look like or when they appear. If you touch the right sight of the display when Samsung's stock video player is running you'll see a vertical volume control appear. Touch the left side and the same thing happens for brightness. In and of itself apps independently manipulating OS controls like volume and brightness isn't a problem.

I believe your right on many levels. We have seen Google not follow their own rules and standards. It is their os and can basically do whatever they want and change at any time. I believe samsung does the same.

When you comb through the various google support forums, I get the feeling that google takes the stance that anything that causes a systemui crash is a modification to the OS. seems like this error comes up with samsung products or custom roms where changes have been made.

When you contact samsung I get the impression they have no clue what chromecast is. Granted this is just customer service. I honestly dont know how much testing samsung would do with a product from google. Samsung "plays nice" with google services, but they are out to get people to use samsung music and movies too. Making sure chromecast works might have been way down on the priority list.

Like you have said, whatever the issue is, neither google or samsung "own" the problem. Google says call samsung, samsung says call google. Unfortunately we are in the middle of it with no option but to adjust how we use our tablets
23rd May 2014, 07:04 PM   |  #43  
Flag Spokane, Washington

8,972 posts
Quote:

I believe your right on many levels. We have seen Google not follow their own rules and standards. It is their os and can basically do whatever they want and change at any time. I believe samsung does the same.

There's one big difference. Google doesn't provide end-user support and the OEM's do. Support costs money so there's an incentive to make sure what you sell works. That's why Samsung could go renegade with their code but doesn't. If they did, and most used apps didn't work, they'd be inundated with support requests. That's also why the OEMs do tons of internal and user acceptance testing. Plenty of Android's API calls and SDK specs have had issues that caused API crashes when used as directed. So saying "UI crashes are always third-party" is pretty lame. It's Google pretty much declaring their code "perfect" which no one can claim.
23rd May 2014, 07:19 PM   |  #44  
Thanks Meter: 5

37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

There's one big difference. Google doesn't provide end-user support and the OEM's do. Support costs money so there's an incentive to make sure what you sell works. That's why Samsung could go renegade with their code but doesn't. If they did, and most used apps didn't work, they'd be inundated with support requests. That's also why the OEMs do tons of internal and user acceptance testing. Plenty of Android's API calls and SDK specs have had issues that caused API crashes when used as directed. So saying "UI crashes are always third-party" is pretty lame. It's Google pretty much declaring their code "perfect" which no one can claim.

This is all true. We as the end-users need to figure out how to get their attention without having a google or samsung programmer sitting next to us when this happens. I am surely a phone geek, I know more than probably the average consumer, but I am not a programmer.

I know samsung has offices here in Seattle. Maybe I'll go ring their doorbell
Last edited by chgambini; 23rd May 2014 at 07:34 PM.
23rd May 2014, 10:15 PM   |  #45  
Flag Spokane, Washington

8,972 posts
Quote:

This is all true. We as the end-users need to figure out how to get their attention without having a google or samsung programmer sitting next to us when this happens. I am surely a phone geek, I know more than probably the average consumer, but I am not a programmer.

I know samsung has offices here in Seattle. Maybe I'll go ring their doorbell

It would probably be helpful to come up with a list of Chromecast apps that work with 4.4 and those that don't. From there, maybe you guys can compare the differences in the way they are designed and the features they provide to identify if there's anything common to the broken ones. If Netflix works for example you could approach a smaller developer whose app doesn't and ask them why other apps work and their's doesn't. You'd probably get a lot further with a smaller developer than a larger one. Does anyone with Chromecast use Plex? Does it work? If it doesn't, you might get them involved because they tend to be particularly responsive to support requests and have a very active support forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd May 2014, 11:23 PM   |  #46  
Thanks Meter: 8

73 posts
Quote:

Can we really rule out software? My tablet was fine before the update, no issues with chromecast at all. Now after the update I have problems. The only change is the OS.There are people talking about this, just google "samsung systemui crash chromecast" you will find threads in the 12.2 and 8.4 pro forums here and on other sites. @blinkingled found a post on G+ chromecast developers talking about it. Also threads in google support forums. Google nor samsung reply to anything.

I read a lot of relpies here saying they have no problems, but they go on to say they cast netflix or youtube. The biggest offenders I can tell are google play movie and music apps. Seems like maybe there are not as many complaints because netflix user are greater than us play movie users.

As far as samsung denying they have no reports of this frustrates me because I myself have contacted them multiple times and @blinkingled has sent the tablet in twice. We need to get past customer service and make sure the logcats are getting to a programer that knows how to decrypt the report.

In further testing, I do get the UI crash when I try and access the notifications. The apps affected for me are google play music and google play movies. I tried to disable the brightness and volume in the notification screen as well. No luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to pitchdarkice For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th May 2014, 04:50 PM   |  #47  
Flag NR13-ROMEO-03
Thanks Meter: 15

138 posts
More
don't know if this will help or do nothing, but here's my deal: with a "fresh" tablet, less than a day old.

P600, stock, unrooted. only tweak is that i'm running Apex, and disabled some of the apps i'll never use (ChatOn, etc.). region: Canada.

after first boot, OS was updated to KK4.4. thought i would have to install Chromecast, but functionality was already there and ready to go. able to cast YouTube, Netflix, Google Music, Songza to my Sammy 40" TV, and accessing notifications, adjusting volume — no issues.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread