Daily driver Xperia Z Ultra?

OP kingofthebraves

27th May 2014, 06:41 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 41

908 posts
More
I'm currently using a note 3 and I'm thinking of getting a Z Ultra,. Is the conversion from a Sony to GPE flawless meaning it'll be exactly the same? (like on the HTC one?) or will be slight differences in performance and battery life? How is the sony rom kitkat running on this thing? No more stuttering or lag?
27th May 2014, 08:30 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 237

728 posts
The official Sony rom is better is my opinion. And you can always convert the Sony one into a GPe one. So it's better to get a stock Sony version.

Sent from my C6802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
27th May 2014, 09:16 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 109

524 posts
More
If you reboot your device every two day or so it will keep on going like a charm ...im not a big fan of that. I have my device running as many weeks until it starts doing funny things.. like all linux machines tends to do when they run for months or longer without rebooting
27th May 2014, 10:43 AM   |  #4  
Flag Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,243

2,802 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SÜPERUSER

If you reboot your device every two day or so it will keep on going like a charm ...im not a big fan of that. I have my device running as many weeks until it starts doing funny things.. like all linux machines tends to do when they run for months or longer without rebooting

Doing linux wrong then

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthebraves

I'm currently using a note 3 and I'm thinking of getting a Z Ultra,. Is the conversion from a Sony to GPE flawless meaning it'll be exactly the same? (like on the HTC one?) or will be slight differences in performance and battery life? How is the sony rom kitkat running on this thing? No more stuttering or lag?

No the conversion from sony to GPe is not a full one, it is just a custom ROM. Now @DooMLoRD has a GPe we might see a full conversion. Performance and battery should be the same between full GPe and the port. The Sony KK firmware is quite nice. The live wallpaper stutters once in a while though, but if you change it then all is good.
27th May 2014, 02:50 PM   |  #5  
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 151

299 posts
Donate to Me
More
I was using GPE custom rom,simple and clean.If use Sony rom,4.3 would be better!
27th May 2014, 04:01 PM   |  #6  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 219

814 posts
More
I would say this:

On 4.4.x, the GPe ROM or CM11/AOKP/PA/PAC is better choices of the simple reason that they can use phablet mode properly. I am talking about changing the DPI to 240 with separate notification/quick settings bars. On the other hand, Settings lacks tablet mode on 4.4.

The problem with the Sony ROM (4.4) is the loss of working notifications when the DPI is lowered. They have modded the notification bar with quick settings, which breaks down when something lower than 320 DPI is used.

On 4.3, the stock Sony works perfectly in phablet/tablet mode on 240 DPI.

I think 240 DPI is perfect for the Ultra, it uses the screen space very efficiently and enables phablet/tablet mode in different apps etc.

On GPe or CM11 et al, 240 DPI works perfectly. It is also worth to mention the fact that most Sony apps are ported and runs great on the GPe ROM. There's no need to use a Sony stock/based ROM just in order to get Album, Movies, Walkman or Sketch etc to work. Even the latest Z2 based versions of those apps run great on GPe et al ROMs.

This fact, paired with the problems caused by DPI changes result in this simple situation:

1. Sony based ROMs are better in 4.3 since they can handle phablet/tablet mode properly.

2. On 4.4, go for the GPe or other non-Sony based ROMs like PA or AOKP.

3. The Sony Edition of the device is more spread and gives more ROM options compared to the GPe one. It is therefore better to get it from Sony and then flash the GPe ROM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to E90 Commie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread