Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,968 Members 42,950 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Daily driver Xperia Z Ultra?

Tip us?

kingofthebraves
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Default Daily driver Xperia Z Ultra?

I'm currently using a note 3 and I'm thinking of getting a Z Ultra,. Is the conversion from a Sony to GPE flawless meaning it'll be exactly the same? (like on the HTC one?) or will be slight differences in performance and battery life? How is the sony rom kitkat running on this thing? No more stuttering or lag?
Hero / Nexus One/ Desire / Galaxy S / Desire Z / Nexus S / Galaxy S2 / Galaxy Nexus / Galaxy Note / One X / Galaxy Note2 / BB Z10 / Galaxy s4

Sadman Khan
Old
Thanks Meter 235
The official Sony rom is better is my opinion. And you can always convert the Sony one into a GPe one. So it's better to get a stock Sony version.

Sent from my C6802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

SÜPERUSER
Old
Thanks Meter 88
If you reboot your device every two day or so it will keep on going like a charm ...im not a big fan of that. I have my device running as many weeks until it starts doing funny things.. like all linux machines tends to do when they run for months or longer without rebooting

blueether
Old
Thanks Meter 1094

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SÜPERUSER View Post
If you reboot your device every two day or so it will keep on going like a charm ...im not a big fan of that. I have my device running as many weeks until it starts doing funny things.. like all linux machines tends to do when they run for months or longer without rebooting
Doing linux wrong then

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthebraves View Post
I'm currently using a note 3 and I'm thinking of getting a Z Ultra,. Is the conversion from a Sony to GPE flawless meaning it'll be exactly the same? (like on the HTC one?) or will be slight differences in performance and battery life? How is the sony rom kitkat running on this thing? No more stuttering or lag?
No the conversion from sony to GPe is not a full one, it is just a custom ROM. Now @DooMLoRD has a GPe we might see a full conversion. Performance and battery should be the same between full GPe and the port. The Sony KK firmware is quite nice. The live wallpaper stutters once in a while though, but if you change it then all is good.
Charles
Alcatel One Touch "easy" -> Nokia 1110i -> Alcatel ame-408 -> Motorola Razr v3 -> Huawei u8100 -> Sony Xperia Z-Ultra

ROM:- Carbon
Kernel:- Pimped Kernel

Thankyou to all those that have donated to me over 2014.

atrix2
Old
Thanks Meter 148

DONATE TO ME
I was using GPE custom rom,simple and clean.If use Sony rom,4.3 would be better!
Device: Sony Xperia Z Ultra (togari)
Recovery: CWM + TWRP Dual Recovery
ROM: Google Play Edition Tweaked
Kernel: Stock (Modified)
Motorola Atrix 2 > HTC One X > Sony Xperia Z Ultra

E90 Commie
Old
Thanks Meter 214
I would say this:

On 4.4.x, the GPe ROM or CM11/AOKP/PA/PAC is better choices of the simple reason that they can use phablet mode properly. I am talking about changing the DPI to 240 with separate notification/quick settings bars. On the other hand, Settings lacks tablet mode on 4.4.

The problem with the Sony ROM (4.4) is the loss of working notifications when the DPI is lowered. They have modded the notification bar with quick settings, which breaks down when something lower than 320 DPI is used.

On 4.3, the stock Sony works perfectly in phablet/tablet mode on 240 DPI.

I think 240 DPI is perfect for the Ultra, it uses the screen space very efficiently and enables phablet/tablet mode in different apps etc.

On GPe or CM11 et al, 240 DPI works perfectly. It is also worth to mention the fact that most Sony apps are ported and runs great on the GPe ROM. There's no need to use a Sony stock/based ROM just in order to get Album, Movies, Walkman or Sketch etc to work. Even the latest Z2 based versions of those apps run great on GPe et al ROMs.

This fact, paired with the problems caused by DPI changes result in this simple situation:

1. Sony based ROMs are better in 4.3 since they can handle phablet/tablet mode properly.

2. On 4.4, go for the GPe or other non-Sony based ROMs like PA or AOKP.

3. The Sony Edition of the device is more spread and gives more ROM options compared to the GPe one. It is therefore better to get it from Sony and then flash the GPe ROM.
[Xperia Z Ultra C6802][ROM: GPe 4.4.4][Launcher: Nova][240 DPI]
[Xperia Z C6602][ROM: PAC 4.3][Launcher: Nova][240 DPI]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to E90 Commie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]