Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,296 Members 53,549 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Touchscreen just stopped working?

Tip us?

computerslayer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Default Touchscreen just stopped working?

I know the Nexus 7 2013 has touchscreen issues, but I've never had the screen just stop responding. The power button (and presumably the volume control) works, but the screen is completely unresponsive.

And since I have a lock screen pattern and adb is disabled, I seem to be hosed.

Thoughts?

graphdarnell
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerslayer View Post
I know the Nexus 7 2013 has touchscreen issues, but I've never had the screen just stop responding. The power button (and presumably the volume control) works, but the screen is completely unresponsive.

And since I have a lock screen pattern and adb is disabled, I seem to be hosed.

Thoughts?
Do you have a custom recovery installed? If you have a touch one, try to see if it works. It has happened to me that the large part of the android screen was unresponsive, whereas the recovery touchscreen worked. It helps determine if the problem is software or hardware-related. If not, you can try to reflash the rom in fastboot, to see if it reloads the touchscreen firmware that way.

computerslayer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphdarnell View Post
Do you have a custom recovery installed? If you have a touch one, try to see if it works. It has happened to me that the large part of the android screen was unresponsive, whereas the recovery touchscreen worked. It helps determine if the problem is software or hardware-related. If not, you can try to reflash the rom in fastboot, to see if it reloads the touchscreen firmware that way.
Hi graphdarnell,

I do have a custom recovery: the latest TWRP for FLO. I've never had touchscreen problems therein, which affirms the likelihood of a software-related issue.

I was able to reboot the tablet (I had forgotten about just holding down the power button....) - and the touchscreen is now 'back'. So there's that. Do you think that this is this the same issue as the multi-touch problems I have read so much about?

Thank you for your time & response - this community is the reason XDA is one of my favorite places on the internet!

peace,
Computerslayer

graphdarnell
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerslayer View Post
Hi graphdarnell,

I do have a custom recovery: the latest TWRP for FLO. I've never had touchscreen problems therein, which affirms the likelihood of a software-related issue.

I was able to reboot the tablet (I had forgotten about just holding down the power button....) - and the touchscreen is now 'back'. So there's that. Do you think that this is this the same issue as the multi-touch problems I have read so much about?

Thank you for your time & response - this community is the reason XDA is one of my favorite places on the internet!

peace,
Computerslayer
Not likely. Some are caused by hardware, others by software, and still others by a combination of both. In the end it comes down to a case-by-case basis. In my case, the touch works in some areas where the OS won't. If it's hardware, inoperability should be consistent regardless of software platform. If it's OS software, touch in recovery should work throughout the screen. Neither is the case. So you tell me.

computerslayer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphdarnell View Post
Not likely. Some are caused by hardware, others by software, and still others by a combination of both. In the end it comes down to a case-by-case basis. In my case, the touch works in some areas where the OS won't. If it's hardware, inoperability should be consistent regardless of software platform. If it's OS software, touch in recovery should work throughout the screen. Neither is the case. So you tell me.
In my case, it seems to be only in the OS - though this is the only case I've noticed this far (~4 months of ownership). In recovery it works fine, or so it seems. That all points towards a software issue....but I suppose not enough to really know what the issue ultimately is.

Berthaconners524
Old
Thanks Meter 7
That really sounds like something you should take to geek squad.
I'm from Washington DC. I'm not exactly proud of it.