Touchscreen just stopped working?

OP computerslayer

23rd May 2014, 04:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tacoma
Thanks Meter: 37

214 posts
More
I know the Nexus 7 2013 has touchscreen issues, but I've never had the screen just stop responding. The power button (and presumably the volume control) works, but the screen is completely unresponsive.

And since I have a lock screen pattern and adb is disabled, I seem to be hosed.

Thoughts?
23rd May 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 118

523 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerslayer

I know the Nexus 7 2013 has touchscreen issues, but I've never had the screen just stop responding. The power button (and presumably the volume control) works, but the screen is completely unresponsive.

And since I have a lock screen pattern and adb is disabled, I seem to be hosed.

Thoughts?

Do you have a custom recovery installed? If you have a touch one, try to see if it works. It has happened to me that the large part of the android screen was unresponsive, whereas the recovery touchscreen worked. It helps determine if the problem is software or hardware-related. If not, you can try to reflash the rom in fastboot, to see if it reloads the touchscreen firmware that way.
23rd May 2014, 05:48 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tacoma

214 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphdarnell

Do you have a custom recovery installed? If you have a touch one, try to see if it works. It has happened to me that the large part of the android screen was unresponsive, whereas the recovery touchscreen worked. It helps determine if the problem is software or hardware-related. If not, you can try to reflash the rom in fastboot, to see if it reloads the touchscreen firmware that way.

Hi graphdarnell,

I do have a custom recovery: the latest TWRP for FLO. I've never had touchscreen problems therein, which affirms the likelihood of a software-related issue.

I was able to reboot the tablet (I had forgotten about just holding down the power button....) - and the touchscreen is now 'back'. So there's that. Do you think that this is this the same issue as the multi-touch problems I have read so much about?

Thank you for your time & response - this community is the reason XDA is one of my favorite places on the internet!

peace,
Computerslayer
27th May 2014, 07:37 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 118

523 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerslayer

Hi graphdarnell,

I do have a custom recovery: the latest TWRP for FLO. I've never had touchscreen problems therein, which affirms the likelihood of a software-related issue.

I was able to reboot the tablet (I had forgotten about just holding down the power button....) - and the touchscreen is now 'back'. So there's that. Do you think that this is this the same issue as the multi-touch problems I have read so much about?

Thank you for your time & response - this community is the reason XDA is one of my favorite places on the internet!

peace,
Computerslayer

Not likely. Some are caused by hardware, others by software, and still others by a combination of both. In the end it comes down to a case-by-case basis. In my case, the touch works in some areas where the OS won't. If it's hardware, inoperability should be consistent regardless of software platform. If it's OS software, touch in recovery should work throughout the screen. Neither is the case. So you tell me.
27th May 2014, 04:15 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tacoma

214 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphdarnell

Not likely. Some are caused by hardware, others by software, and still others by a combination of both. In the end it comes down to a case-by-case basis. In my case, the touch works in some areas where the OS won't. If it's hardware, inoperability should be consistent regardless of software platform. If it's OS software, touch in recovery should work throughout the screen. Neither is the case. So you tell me.

In my case, it seems to be only in the OS - though this is the only case I've noticed this far (~4 months of ownership). In recovery it works fine, or so it seems. That all points towards a software issue....but I suppose not enough to really know what the issue ultimately is.
27th May 2014, 04:17 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 7

75 posts
More
That really sounds like something you should take to geek squad.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread