Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,111 Members 47,261 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root causing OTA to fail?

Tip us?

TH3_FRB
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Root causing OTA to fail?

I'm rooted/stock and have been deferring OTA updates for a looooong time. last time I took an update it screwed thing sup badly and I had to wipe my phone and start clean so I've been avoiding the update. I figured it's time but the install fails every time. I'm on 4.1.2 VRBMF1. Is it the fact that I'm rooted causing the trouble? Can I "un-root" to take the update?

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1923
If you have removed system apps or applied framework changes (like a mod) then the OTA could fail cuz of that. It could even be from your custom recovery. There should be an error code that gets saved in /cache or it should give you a reason why it fails as it is attempting to apply the update. Have you done any permanent changes similar to what I outlined?

If you have no issues with wiping the entire phone, then you could use Odin (Windows only program) to apply the 4.3 update. Now, I must say that you will not have any option to use AOSP roms or custom kernels once on 4.3. If this matters to you, then I can help you get rid of the ota notification.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable

TH3_FRB
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I haven't changed anything aside from freezing a bunch of apps with Titanium Backup. I haven't even installed a custom recovery. When **** got so screwed up from the last OTA I started fresh and rooted, intending to install CWM but never got around to it. So I'm rooted and nothing else. I've used Odin before to start fresh and I have no trouble with doing that again except that I hate having to set all of my screens, widgets, and folders up again. The couple times I've used a backup recovery they didn't recover those settings. I have all of my apps sorted into folders and it would be a huge PITA to do that again. I figure there has to be a way to backup and recover the layouts of the home screens. I have MyBackup Pro and can install CMW.

My phone has become very laggy over the past few months, which is why I decided to take the OTA hoping it would clean some things up. Honestly, I lost interest in doing all kinds of customization. I just want the phone to work smoothly again. If stock 4.3 with some crap frozen will do that then that's all I need. Is there a 4.4 version that runs without issues on the GS3?

DigitalMD
Old
Thanks Meter 612
Don't take the OTA, just go here and install this stock rooted version of the 4.3 OTA. Gives you everything you want and keeps your options open.
4.3 is much better than 4.12 and there is no stable 4.4 for the S3.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2625483
Days of open internet are almost over as the biggies look for more revenue streaming from your wallet..Soon the internet will be a shell of its current self. With the government wanting their taxes and the big ISPs planning to charge extra for access to specific content (like facebook) and throttle your speed.

TH3_FRB
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I'll go that route.

Any advice for backing up and restoring my apps folders? I just realized that the apps pages are not included if I backup/restore home screens with MyBackup Pro. I've sorted my apps into a dozen different folders on the apps pages and really don't want to do that from scratch again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMD View Post
Don't take the OTA, just go here and install this stock rooted version of the 4.3 OTA. Gives you everything you want and keeps your options open.
4.3 is much better than 4.12 and there is no stable 4.4 for the S3.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2625483