Ask a question

No registration required

Web browser for Gear 2/Neo

OP ethancedrik

26th May 2014, 10:33 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

9 posts
Would it be possible to take the Tizen web browser, and install it on the Gear 2? I am not sure if it is avalible as a Tizen installation package that we could just install over USB using the SDK, or if installing Tizen system apps is going to take a lot more work then that.

I know in order for this to be useful we would also have to tether over Bluetooth, but that shouldn't be a problem for most phones. I also know that the only Tizen keyboard optimized for the Gear 2/Neo is the Fleksy keyboard which is in beta and hasn't been released yet, so the only option is to use the default Tizen keyboard until then, which I am not sure is already installed on the watch.

Since a web browser would be a headache to get working, maybe we could try and get another Tizen app working, like svoice (the Tizen one, not the Galaxy Gear one since that one requires phone connectivity, iirc) or something more basic.

I really don't know how feasable this would be yet, or if it would even be worth it since the rumored Gear 2 Solo sounds like something way better to focus this kind of stuff on.

Anyway I thought something like this on the Gear 2 would be cool since the Gear 1 can already do all this stuff, and this would really show off how powerful Tizen is and all the potential it has for stuff like this.
27th May 2014, 06:54 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 66

339 posts
More
Originally I thought this as only neat for those who want to show off, but very limited in practicality - because you know, you can just pull out your phone instead of trying to browse and input on a tiny screen. Since there is such a dearth of apps, though - maybe this is the only way to get access to certain web-based control applications (as long as accessing sites and login entry isn't so convoluted that you're still better off using the phone).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread