Google Allows Search Queries To Interact With Apps

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings lots of new features that are quite useful for end users and … more

Lenovo Officially Owns Motorola, Following ~$3 Billion Deal

Google is now officially no longer the owner American phone manufacturer … more

Microsoft Band Fitness Tracker Announced, Available

The wearable market has been around for a few years, with Pebble and Samsung smartwatches … more

Forums Added for the Oppo R5, Oppo N3, and Xiaomi Redmi Note

Just yesterday, Oppo unveiled a pair of rather unique smartphones, the Oppo … more

[Q] Error Flashing Cm11 Nightly

OP pretty pixel

2nd May 2014, 03:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

53 posts
I would be grateful of some help. I have successfully unlocked the Bootloader, flashed a custom kernel and rooted my Xperia Z Ultra on 4.4.2.
The problem I have is when trying to flash CM11 nightly using TWRP and CWM Recovery. I carry out the wipes in TWRP, then proceed to select the CM11 latest nightly to flash. On swiping the bar to begin the flash, the process fails and the following message displays:

"E: Unknown File System: 'datamedia'
Updating partition details...
Running book script...

Finished running boot script.
Installing '/external_sd/Xperia Root/CM11/cm-11
Checking for MD5 file...
Skipping MD5 check: no MD5 file found.
This package is for "C6802, C6806, C6833, C6843 to
E: Error executing updater binary in zip '/exter
Error flashing zip /external_sd/Xperia Root/CM
Updating partition details...

FAILED

(I think some of the text to the right of the window has been cut off)

When I Power Off my device in TWRP a message displays saying I don't have root, do I wish to install supersu. I went with this message and assume supersu installed when I powered off. However, on powering back on and re-entering TWRP and trying again, I am still unable to flash my CM11 zip.

I have also re-downloaded the CM11 zip, all to no avail.

To confirm, I can access TWRP and CWM, but can't install my CM11 nightly zip. I have tried installing from the internal SD to no avail.
2nd May 2014, 10:40 PM   |  #2  
Flag Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,253

2,832 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty pixel

I would be grateful of some help. ...

Flash the boot.img from the ROM zip using flashtool and put the phone into fastboot mode. Hold the vol up key when connecting the ZU to the PC (phone powered off of cause) and select fastboot mode in flashtool flashing dialog. you will have to change to .img from .sin in the file open box
The Following User Says Thank You to blueether For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd May 2014, 10:49 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

53 posts
Thank you so much for the reply and support. I'm new to the ZU coming from a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, so please forgive my inexperience.
When you say "Flash the boot.img from the ROM zip", do you mean the CM11 nightly ROM? I only have the ZIP file downloaded from CM website.

Could you please explain the process in simpler terms please?

Thank you again
2nd May 2014, 11:44 PM   |  #4  

2,832 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thank you so much for the reply and support. I'm new to the ZU coming from a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, so please forgive my inexperience.
When you say "Flash the boot.img from the ROM zip", do you mean the CM11 nightly ROM? I only have the ZIP file downloaded from CM website.

Could you please explain the process in simpler terms please?

Thank you again

Quick explanation of what the issue is:

Some kernels/recoveries are ported from the Z1 so tell the ROM installer script that it is running on the wrong type of phone. As you have a ZU (I hope) we can get around this by flashing a new kernel and recovery to the phone, this is the boot.img that you can extract from the ROM zip that you are trying to flash.

This assumes that the phone has an unlocked bootloader, if not you cant run a custom ROM
  1. Save the ROM to the internal storage of the phone (I always use /sdcard/0/Downloads)
  2. Open the CM ROM zip in 7zip/winzip/etc and just extract the boot.img to somewhere (desktop will do)
  3. Open flashtool (https://unrestrict.li/flashtool)
  4. Select the thunder bolt
  5. Select fastboot mode
  6. Select 'Select kernel to flash'
  7. Open the folder where you saved the boot.img file, and change the file type at the bottom from *.sin to *.img and open boot.img
  8. With the phone powered off connect to the PC while holding the vol up key
  9. Wait for about 1-2 seconds (you will see OK in the main flashtool window)
  10. Reboot into the new recovery and flash the ROM like normal
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueether For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2014, 08:07 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

53 posts
Thank you so much for your support. I will follow your instructions this afternoon, when I have some free time and report back
3rd May 2014, 12:58 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

53 posts
Thumbs up
I've just followed your instructions and they worked perfectly! Thank you so much
After, I flashed the boot.img with Flashtool I was able to install the CM11 rom without issue And I now have a new recovery - CWM which is fine.
Am I correct in thinking that future CM11 zips should now install OK, without having to flash the boot.img each time?

Many thanks again.
3rd May 2014, 10:09 PM   |  #7  

2,832 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I've just followed your instructions and they worked perfectly! Thank you so much
After, I flashed the boot.img with Flashtool I was able to install the CM11 rom without issue And I now have a new recovery - CWM which is fine.
Am I correct in thinking that future CM11 zips should now install OK, without having to flash the boot.img each time?

Many thanks again.

Yep that is correct, and any other ROM should install just fine as well.
4th May 2014, 09:27 AM   |  #8  
OP Member

53 posts
That's great, Thank you again
Through rooting and flashing CM11 on the Z Ultra, it's made it so much nicer to use and taught me lots too.
27th May 2014, 07:22 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Thumbs up Install CM11 Z ULTRA
Ola amigo, se possivel faša um tutorial ensinando a flashear a cm 11 no Z ultra brasileiro.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread