Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,524 Members 42,658 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[rom] [kfsowi 2013] kindle water beta 1!

Tip us?

Mineturtle33
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velrix View Post
Just wanted to post I did this to my wife's Kindle. Everything was working fine but after reboots I notice sometimes the wallpaper gets all crazy. I have to disable the "My Kindle Wallpaper" every time after reboot. The keyboard also quit working and would randomly pop up and disappear. I was able to install Swiftkey from the Play Store and that issue has stopped. Just figure I would post my results. Other than that everything is rolling smooth. Hopefully we get TWRP or CWM soon so I'm not so scared of this baby going poof lol.
Thanks for sharing. Did you wipe data before install, because that causes most problems. Also, this ROM is now deprecated, as the ICE and HELLFIRE roms (on kfsowi google plus community) work much better.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Mineturtle33
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by slixz85 View Post
is there a way to just use adb or dd instead of having to use a fastboot cable? Like how you can run a manual update with adb or something anyway. thanks
Are you rooted?

Mineturtle33
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by QDT View Post
I got the KFSOWI for my GF to track our wedding plans and other activities.
Of course I was interested in handling over the full CM based device and sadly learned that currently is not possible.
But at least thanks to Kindle Water the system is working nicely with Google Store and we can install all required apps.

After a day of using (got it yesterday, had to make the fastboot cable first) I've following comments/questions.
  • Google Maps is not functioning claiming that it require data connection while is fully connected to wifi.
  • Amazon AppStore is crashing (exiting) after several seconds of using it.
  • It is annoying that disabling the original FireOS navbar removes the Menu functionality from any other navbar mod - you can force to display the Menu Button but is not working on Play Store, as an example.
  • Why the FireOs recent apps list (accessible via slide-up) is showing no content?
  • How to run the original FireOS apps - I would like to use my Prime Video access (just for fun), or the original Amazon browser Silk.

Kudos for the OP to provide such great alternative system for Kindle Fire HD 3rd Gen!
All of the issues you list are things that I sadly, cannot do anything about. You need to use Gravitybox from Xposed to hide the navbar. And use UDN (already installed) to trigger an AOSP navbar to appear by swiping up from the bottom.

Velrix
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineturtle33 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Did you wipe data before install, because that causes most problems. Also, this ROM is now deprecated, as the ICE and HELLFIRE roms (on kfsowi google plus community) work much better.

I didnt know there was a KFSOWI Community there lol... No wipe before hand I just followed the instructions completely. Ill check those out.