Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,708 Members 52,477 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[COLLECTION][FIRMWARE][RUU][BACKUPS] T-Mobile US - Release Builds (Update 5/16)

Tip us?

donciclon
Old
(Last edited by donciclon; 27th May 2014 at 03:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Does the ext_sdcard method work for any firmware package, or is it specific to this one?

EDIT: Decided to be brave and test it myself. Flashed 1.54.401.10 successfully via the MicroSD card. I also removed the recovery.img from the firmware zip so as not to lose TWRP. Did need to re-install elemental kernel though because I forgot to also remove the boot.img, but no big deal.
T-Mobile HTC ONE M8
S-OFF & Supercid

uoY_redruM
Old
Thanks Meter 1930

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by uoY_redruM View Post
What exactly does this do? Update everything that you would normally only be able to update via the RUU file?

Say for instance the new T-Mobile update. Updated via the flashable zip someone provided. Already have root and custom recovery. That doesn't provide updated radio, hboot, etc (if I understand correctly) and that's what this does?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Anyone?

Interested in buying me a coffee? Click the 'Donate" button:

HTC One (M8)

Galaxy Tab 3

LG G2 UPGRADED

(16GB Blue) Galaxy S III - T-Mobile RETIRED

Kindle Fire RETIRED

Galaxy Nexus - GSM Unlocked STOLEN

Nexus One - RETIRED

Behold_this
Old
(Last edited by Behold_this; 27th May 2014 at 07:22 PM.)
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 3476

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by donciclon View Post
Does the ext_sdcard method work for any firmware package, or is it specific to this one?

EDIT: Decided to be brave and test it myself. Flashed 1.54.401.10 successfully via the MicroSD card. I also removed the recovery.img from the firmware zip so as not to lose TWRP. Did need to re-install elemental kernel though because I forgot to also remove the boot.img, but no big deal.
Sorry, I didn't see your post before. Yes that flashing method works for any HTC One M8 firmware as you found out. [emoji106]

Behold_this
Old
(Last edited by Behold_this; 27th May 2014 at 07:23 PM.)
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 3476

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
What exactly does this do? Update everything that you would normally only be able to update via the RUU file?

Say for instance the new T-Mobile update. Updated via the flashable zip someone provided. Already have root and custom recovery. That doesn't provide updated radio, hboot, etc (if I understand correctly) and that's what this does?
The answers to your questions can actually be found just doing a few searches within the thread, but I will answer it one more time. Firmware does not contain system image at all and does not touch system at all. Your Android system is considered software. Software is never included in firmware packages.

Firmware is device controlling and device specific code and data. It is what allows your hardware to run. It is generally speaking unrelated to software, with the exception of boot.img, which does specifically correspond to the software you are running.

Any of the custom firmware packages in this thread can be modified to your liking. If you want the stock recovery then keep the stock recovery. If you don't, then remove the recovery image from the package.

If all you're looking to do is update the firmware that was recently updated via the OTA simply flash the small custom firmware package. It contains every firmware image that was updated minus the recovery and boot.img.

You need to understand my advice to users to stay away from this thread until you have a solid understanding of what firmware is, is for users own safety. You can very easily hard brick your device (rendering it's completely dead and about as useful as a paper weight) incorrectly modifying or flashing firmware. You really cannot hard brick your device flashing an incorrect custom system (eg a custom ROM). That is a misconception an important point to make.
The Following User Says Thank You to Behold_this For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

uoY_redruM
Old
Thanks Meter 1930

DONATE TO ME
I know the difference between the two, I use to make custom roms and I created the very first custom rom for the SGS3. I'll apologize now and admit I was being lazy and didn't read though the thread.

Basically just take the stock one and remove the recovery and boot to updated everything else related to the upgrade that can't be accomplished without otherwise flashing the RUU .

Interested in buying me a coffee? Click the 'Donate" button:

HTC One (M8)

Galaxy Tab 3

LG G2 UPGRADED

(16GB Blue) Galaxy S III - T-Mobile RETIRED

Kindle Fire RETIRED

Galaxy Nexus - GSM Unlocked STOLEN

Nexus One - RETIRED

donciclon
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behold_this View Post
You really cannot hard brick your device flashing an incorrect custom system (eg a custom ROM). That is a misconception an important point to make.
You know, I always had that nagging question in the back of my mind anytime I read someone warn of hard bricking from flashing a ROM. I was pretty damn sure that a non-malicious ROM cannot brick your device. By non-malicious, I mean one that does not (intentionally) attempt to write to the partitions where HBOOT, Radio and related stuff live. I'm in these forums all the time and constantly see a brick warning from even some real veteran cooks (maybe just to cover their a$$). Thanks, I knew i wasn't crazy.
T-Mobile HTC ONE M8
S-OFF & Supercid

Behold_this
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 3476

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I know the difference between the two, I use to make custom roms and I created the very first custom rom for the SGS3. I'll apologize now and admit I was being lazy and didn't read though the thread.

Basically just take the stock one and remove the recovery and boot to updated everything else related to the upgrade that can't be accomplished without otherwise flashing the RUU .

You can do that, but you don't need to do any modifying if you don't want to. Just use the custom firmware package in the OP (the first custom package not the expanded one). It has all the updated firmware with only boot.img and recovery.img removed.

Behold_this
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 3476

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by donciclon View Post
You know, I always had that nagging question in the back of my mind anytime I read someone warn of hard bricking from flashing a ROM. I was pretty damn sure that a non-malicious ROM cannot brick your device. By non-malicious, I mean one that does not (intentionally) attempt to write to the partitions where HBOOT, Radio and related stuff live. I'm in these forums all the time and constantly see a brick warning from even some real veteran cooks (maybe just to cover their a$$). Thanks, I knew i wasn't crazy.
Yup that's right, you hit the nail right on the head with the non-malicious part. Even then there are some safety checks in place as most partitions cannot be written to by recovery, unless s-off. This does not mean a ROM can't leave you with a non-booting phone. That can easily happen but a non-booting phone does not equal a hard brick. Some people even come to call that a soft brick but whatever you choose to call them, they are recoverable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Behold_this For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Behold_this
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 3476

DONATE TO ME
I'm going to close the thread guys. please see @Garmig's thread for all your needs

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...32&postcount=1

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe