Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more

Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more

Mural Watchface Brings 500px to Android Wear

On a traditional watch, you can’t really do too much to change its appearance once … more
Post Reply

[Q] How to remove android encryption?

OP xdabruin

26th May 2014, 10:38 AM   |  #11  
sarasimanx05's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag new york
Thanks Meter: 1
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Donate to Me
How to remove android encryption?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdabruin

Super basic question. I turned on encryption a long time ago. I have no idea how to turn it off! I'm running Cyanogen now w/CWM 6.0.4.7, which I believe is the latest. I've tried the obvious stuff like reflashing and attempting to format, but nothing seems to do the trick. Any help is much appreciated!

How do I remove encryption on my S4 SGH-M919?

I think i now know the more convenient way to remove the encryption from your android phone...

First go to Settings-->Security-->

Then under "Credential Storages" click on "Clear all credentials".

Done!
26th May 2014, 03:48 PM   |  #12  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obagleyfreer

Have you tried downloading stock ROM from Sammobile and flashing it with Odin. Then performing a factory reset?

I only have a Mac, so if someone points me at a Heimdall compatible stock ROM I'll definitely try that, but I can't use Odin (cause that's windows only, right?)
26th May 2014, 10:05 PM   |  #13  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Nothing worked. I'm still stuck. Seriously how the HECK does Android think this is an encrypted device? I've manually run mkefs even! I am 100% sure there isn't *actually* any encryption, I'm pretty damn sure I've wiped the filesystems, so are there magic flags in the partition table or something? Seriously WTF?
26th May 2014, 11:02 PM   |  #14  
Obagleyfreer's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Wellington
Thanks Meter: 780
 
1,841 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdabruin

I only have a Mac, so if someone points me at a Heimdall compatible stock ROM I'll definitely try that, but I can't use Odin (cause that's windows only, right?)

Yeah Odin is windows only.
Sorry I can't help with Heimdall or Macs, I've always used PC.

I think that Odin will fix your problem though. Try borrow a PC and give it a try
27th May 2014, 07:02 AM   |  #15  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obagleyfreer

Yeah Odin is windows only.
Sorry I can't help with Heimdall or Macs, I've always used PC.

I think that Odin will fix your problem though. Try borrow a PC and give it a try

Alright - I'll have access to a windows machine tomorrow and I'll give that a try.
27th May 2014, 06:40 PM   |  #16  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obagleyfreer

I think that Odin will fix your problem though. Try borrow a PC and give it a try

I've got a Windows 7 PC all day today. I was able to install ODIN 3.09 (holy crap there was a ton of malware and toolbars to say NO!! to on the install, so watch out). Clearly ODIN runs fine and recognizes my phone, but it was unable to flash properly. I got a fresh copy of M919UVUFNB4_M919TMBFNB4_M919UVUFNB4_HOME.tar.md5 from the Sammobile site and did this:

Code:
<ID:0/019> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> M919UVUFNB4_M919TMBFNB4_M919UVUFNB4_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/019> Odin v.3 engine (ID:19)..
<ID:0/019> File analysis..
<ID:0/019> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/019> Initialzation..
<ID:0/019> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/019> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/019> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/019> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/019> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/019> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/019> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/019> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/019> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/019> tz.mbn
<ID:0/019> boot.img
<ID:0/019> recovery.img
<ID:0/019> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/019> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/019> Removed!!
<ID:0/019> Added!!
I notice that v 3.09 has different button names from the v 3.07 videos I'm finding everywhere on YouTube. Everywhere it says use the "PDA" button. which is the second one down under "files [download]" but that doesn't exist anymore. Now they are, in order, "BL, AP, CP, CSC, and UMS." I used the second button, AP, and it seemed to do the right verifying of the md5 file then attempts at flashing.

Uhhh... any help?

What about using Kies3?
27th May 2014, 09:05 PM   |  #17  
Obagleyfreer's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Wellington
Thanks Meter: 780
 
1,841 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdabruin

I've got a Windows 7 PC all day today. I was able to install ODIN 3.09 (holy crap there was a ton of malware and toolbars to say NO!! to on the install, so watch out). Clearly ODIN runs fine and recognizes my phone, but it was unable to flash properly. I got a fresh copy of M919UVUFNB4_M919TMBFNB4_M919UVUFNB4_HOME.tar.md5 from the Sammobile site and did this:

Code:
<ID:0/019> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> M919UVUFNB4_M919TMBFNB4_M919UVUFNB4_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/019> Odin v.3 engine (ID:19)..
<ID:0/019> File analysis..
<ID:0/019> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/019> Initialzation..
<ID:0/019> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/019> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/019> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/019> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/019> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/019> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/019> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/019> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/019> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/019> tz.mbn
<ID:0/019> boot.img
<ID:0/019> recovery.img
<ID:0/019> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/019> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/019> Removed!!
<ID:0/019> Added!!
I notice that v 3.09 has different button names from the v 3.07 videos I'm finding everywhere on YouTube. Everywhere it says use the "PDA" button. which is the second one down under "files [download]" but that doesn't exist anymore. Now they are, in order, "BL, AP, CP, CSC, and UMS." I used the second button, AP, and it seemed to do the right verifying of the md5 file then attempts at flashing.

Uhhh... any help?

What about using Kies3?

I've never used Kies so I wouldn't know.
A failed write in Odin could be one of many things:

Dodgy USB cable
Dodgy USB port
Kies running in the background (You must kill all Kies processes that might be going on)

If you've tried different cable and USB port and killed Kies processes then could be the encryption stopping it.

what I would do:

Install Odin 1.85 (I've always used this. Never used a later version)
Uninstall Kies
flash latest philz CWM recovery to your device
boot into recovery and select 'mounts and storage'
Format: Boot, Cache, System, Preload and Data. (if of course they can be mounted due to encryption)
Go to 'wipe data factory reset' and for the sake of it choose the wipe to install a new ROM. (over kill, but I like to do it anyway)
Now you have a totally wiped clean device.

Boot into download mode
Boot up Odin v1.85
connect phone
and flash the firmware again, in PDA section of Odin.

Good luck!!

tried to find my version of Odin 1.85 but couldn't. should be online somewhere though
Last edited by Obagleyfreer; 27th May 2014 at 09:33 PM.
28th May 2014, 12:16 AM   |  #18  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obagleyfreer

I've never used Kies so I wouldn't know.
A failed write in Odin could be one of many things:

Dodgy USB cable
Dodgy USB port
Kies running in the background (You must kill all Kies processes that might be going on)

If you've tried different cable and USB port and killed Kies processes then could be the encryption stopping it.

what I would do:

Install Odin 1.85 (I've always used this. Never used a later version)
Uninstall Kies
flash latest philz CWM recovery to your device
boot into recovery and select 'mounts and storage'
Format: Boot, Cache, System, Preload and Data. (if of course they can be mounted due to encryption)
Go to 'wipe data factory reset' and for the sake of it choose the wipe to install a new ROM. (over kill, but I like to do it anyway)
Now you have a totally wiped clean device.

Boot into download mode
Boot up Odin v1.85
connect phone
and flash the firmware again, in PDA section of Odin.

Good luck!!

tried to find my version of Odin 1.85 but couldn't. should be online somewhere though

I have tried multiple cables. I did not try different USB ports, however, since some operations work just fine I really doubt that was the problem. Do you have a link to this "philz CWM" recovery and the Odin v1.85? I'd love to try them.
28th May 2014, 12:27 AM   |  #19  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
I got it solved!! I got help from an official Samsung Representative via Samsung Experience Store that's built into a nearby Best Buy. This seems to be their version of the Apple Genius Bar.

After Kies3 didn't work I decided to contact Samsung. I live-chatted with them and the end result was, rather quickly, that the best course of action would be to have an official rep give flashing a try with something they call Samsung Smart Tool. I went to a Best Buy and the nice lady gave it a try. It took a few goes and about an hour, but in the end she was able to restore my device to stock (KitKat, so upgraded stock I guess since my phone came with Jellybean).

First she tried some automatic recovery, which failed.
Second she tried to have her system recognize my device, which also failed. She said that might be the device being too borked to work, but it could also just be that not every Samsung handset is in their auto-recognition system. The backup plan was easy; she went to a site and downloaded a stock image given the model number printed on the phone. I believe she used SamMobile.
Third, she tried a flash of M919UVUFNB4_M919TMBFNB4_TMB.zip using Samsung Smart Tool while my phone was in fastboot, but the flash only got to 1%.
She thought the 1% might be something incompatible about that ROM so she downloaded M919UVUEMK2_M919TMBEMK2_TMB.zip and gave that a try, but only got to 10%.
Finally she went back and tried the first package again, this time it worked.
Note: After the successful flash the phone clearly would not boot all the way the first time. It got to the Tmobile logo and stuck therefor about 5 minutes before she restarted, at while point we saw some "android is updating X of Y apps" message, the booting completed after about 5 minutes, and the device is back to working and unencrypted!!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy S 4 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank