Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,920 Members 42,280 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Performance of LTE version in US

Tip us?

mscion
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 278
Default [Q] Performance of LTE version in US

Hi. I purchased the Pro.8.4 for $350 at Best Buy. Apparently they only sell the WiFi version. I noticed that you can get the LTE version on Expansys for about $450. Anybody in the US buy the LTE version? What carrier you using and how is it working out. Is it worth the extra $100 to you? Thanks!

flymacs
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Hi. I purchased the Pro.8.4 for $350 at Best Buy. Apparently they only sell the WiFi version. I noticed that you can get the LTE version on Expansys for about $450. Anybody in the US buy the LTE version? What carrier you using and how is it working out. Is it worth the extra $100 to you? Thanks!
I bought the T325 and I am using it on AT&T. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the correct LTE bands for the U.S., so the best it can get is H+ which is 3g. Having said that, I don't have LTE where I live but I get 14Mbps on H+ so I'm not missing the LTE at home. I travel a lot and most of the places I go to have 3g speeds between 3-6Mbps so it does ok (a lot better than hotel wifi).

The thing to consider is that on AT&T, and I'm assuming t-Mobile as well, the T325 shows up as a cell phone so it will require a full cell phone sim. A data-only sim won't activate. I also had to tweak the APN to get a solid connection.

All said, I'm very happy with the T325 and I use it as my daily phone/tablet.
The Following User Says Thank You to flymacs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mscion
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymacs View Post
I bought the T325 and I am using it on AT&T. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the correct LTE bands for the U.S., so the best it can get is H+ which is 3g. Having said that, I don't have LTE where I live but I get 14Mbps on H+ so I'm not missing the LTE at home. I travel a lot and most of the places I go to have 3g speeds between 3-6Mbps so it does ok (a lot better than hotel wifi).

The thing to consider is that on AT&T, and I'm assuming t-Mobile as well, the T325 shows up as a cell phone so it will require a full cell phone sim. A data-only sim won't activate. I also had to tweak the APN to get a solid connection.

All said, I'm very happy with the T325 and I use it as my daily phone/tablet.
Hi. Thanks for your comments. Just wondering how you use it as a phone. Due you use it via bluetooth device?

rnb5500
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I can confirm what flymacs wrote. It doesn't support LTE in US. I'm using AT&T as well and I've confirmed there is LTE coverage where I'm at from other AT&T users but I only connect to H+ (3G).

Not a real problem for me as I'm a light data user and I knew going in that LTE was a long shot.
The Following User Says Thank You to rnb5500 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

flymacs
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Hi. Thanks for your comments. Just wondering how you use it as a phone. Due you use it via bluetooth device?
The SM-T325 is the Cellular/International/Non-U.S. LTE version. The SM-T320 is the wifi only version. The T325 has a earpiece just like all cell phones. You can make/answer calls simply by holding it up to your ear like any other cell phone. Granted, it may look silly holding this size of a device next to your head. I use both a wired earbud and a bluetooth headset.

Phone quality and reception is very good. In fact the audio quality of the T325 is better than most of the devices I've used. The only minor issue I have is my work apps don't scale very well to the high ppi of the screen. But that is not the phone's fault.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flymacs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]