Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,176 Members 51,480 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Questions before buying a Note 8.0

Tip us?

Edwii
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Questions before buying a Note 8.0

I have two primary uses for the tablet in question:
1. I will be using it as a GPS navigation unit on my motorcycle. And it will be used to play music thru my motorcycle's speakers.
*I will most likely be using the headphone jack, or possibly some kind of usb audio out / charger (if I can find such a product) to send audio to an amplifier on the motorcycle. Or possibly via bluetooth.
2. When not on the bike I will be using it mostly for watching videos on it, via plex, netflix, memory card, etc.
Questions:
Network/ Internet connectivity:

I live in Canada B.C.
At first I only cared about a basic WiFi only note 8.0, but now I'm thinking I might be inclined to put on a network in the future, and would like to keep that door open(maybe).
1. If I import a USA note (AT&T):
a. will it work on our networks, fido/rogers/bell/etc
b. I will have to root it and flash it with a custom rom to do that right? and if that is true, will I notice any complications in the future?

Note 8.0 vs tab4 pro

I have already done a bit of research into this but thought I would ask a bit on the subject
The tab4 pro looks overall better, but also more expensive.
!. The only spec difference that I would really care about is the higher resolution screen that the tab4 has. would any one say it's a major difference in reality?
2. Are there any other notable feature that the tab4 has over the 8.0 that I might be overlooking?

Thank you for your help. any amount input is welcome.

msd24200
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Are you talking about the tab pro 8.4 or a tab 4 8.0? I really like the 8.4 tab pro. The screen is amazing on it but I'm not going to count my note 8.0 out either as the picture quality has been plenty satisfying to me. The tab pro has the newer faster processor with a far better gpu. Had I not gotten my note at such a cheap price I would have gotten the tab pro 8.4. That being said I think that if you find a really cheap price on the note 8.0 it's worth it. I'm not disappointed with mine at all. Far as getting an AT&T branded note you'd probably have to sim unlock the device to use it on a Canadian network.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Phone:Motorola Atrix
Old Phone:HTC Aria
Old Phone:AT&T TILT
SPL:Hard-SPL-v3.56
Rom:custom
Radio:Varies with rom
8gig micro sdhc

I'm now in "THE CLICK"
WM6.5Themes some by me
UNLOCK OUR BOOTLOADERS
Swype Rage

Edwii
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by msd24200 View Post
Are you talking about the tab pro 8.4 or a tab 4 8.0? I really like the 8.4 tab pro. The screen is amazing on it but I'm not going to count my note 8.0 out either as the picture quality has been plenty satisfying to me. The tab pro has the newer faster processor with a far better gpu. Had I not gotten my note at such a cheap price I would have gotten the tab pro 8.4. That being said I think that if you find a really cheap price on the note 8.0 it's worth it. I'm not disappointed with mine at all. Far as getting an AT&T branded note you'd probably have to sim unlock the device to use it on a Canadian network.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I was referring to the 8.4tab and 8.0 note.

You remind me about my nature, bang for the buck, is probably the biggest factor.
I guess it will come down to which ever one I can save the most on, relatively.
I find when entering the $300+ for a tablet, I get in the zone for I might as well upgrade my laptop instead.

Thanks for the reply.

Spidey01
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Not sure about GPS other than it works fine on Wi-Fi.

Video decode in my experience is good, it can generally play most Blu-Ray video fine via MakeMKV (Basically decrypt and remux into Matroska). YMMV with subtitles and audios and third party apps. It's not as powerful as a Snapdragon 800 but very nice (and has more codec support than my Nexus 5 when both are compared at stock).

Can't say anything about USB audio out as I've never dealt with that.

If you only care about HSPA+ service anything supporting 1900 / 850 Mhz will work and as far as I know all cellular ready models support those. I don't know about the LTE bands up there. Unlike us in the USA, Canada pretty much uses the same frequencies for all the carriers.

If you get the AT&T model you will have to get it SIM unlocked by AT&T before hand. I am not sure that can be done from Canada rather than while on AT&T's network as I've never tried it. Typically you have to stick in a SIM from another carrier and enter a code. On T-Mobile with my Galaxy S3 it took a few weeks to get the code via e-mail after supplying my data via phone; YMMV. You would want to SIM unlock before rootinng; bootloader unlock is different than SIM unlock; and custom ROM's don't SIM unlock your device.

If you want 8" and a S-Pen you have no options. Only other alternative would be an Tegra Note 7; I believe they've started making an LTE model but I'm not sure. Personally if you don't want the pen, I'd go with the Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro because it's got a more powerful processor and a higher resolution panel. If it's all the same to you by all means save money. The Note 8 is likely at it's end of retail life pending a newer version so prices are going down (at least in the USA they have; my fiancee got hers in Alberta last month for $349 and I think they're now $329 here in Georgia).

Feature wise is probably improved MultiWindow mode and anything you like about Samsung's 4.4 tabs that isn't available on 4.1/4.2 era devices like the Note 8. I'm not sure what functionality we're getting in our 4.4 update (AFAIK 3G and Wi-Fi, not AT&T model).

- Samsung Galaxy S3 (T-Mobile )SGH-T999, stock+rooted.
- ASUS Transformer TF201 32GB, CyanogenMod.
- ASUS Transformer TF101 32GB, Prime ROM (damaged/retired).
- HTC MyTouch 4G Slide, CM 9.1-stable, retired.
- HTC MyTouch 4G, my first CyanogenMod (7.1), sold.
- LG Optimus T, stock+rooted. gifted to a beautiful Firefly.
My journal

Edwii
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey01 View Post
Not sure about GPS other than it works fine on Wi-Fi.

Video decode in my experience is good, it can generally play most Blu-Ray video fine via MakeMKV (Basically decrypt and remux into Matroska). YMMV with subtitles and audios and third party apps. It's not as powerful as a Snapdragon 800 but very nice (and has more codec support than my Nexus 5 when both are compared at stock).

Can't say anything about USB audio out as I've never dealt with that.

If you only care about HSPA+ service anything supporting 1900 / 850 Mhz will work and as far as I know all cellular ready models support those. I don't know about the LTE bands up there. Unlike us in the USA, Canada pretty much uses the same frequencies for all the carriers.

If you get the AT&T model you will have to get it SIM unlocked by AT&T before hand. I am not sure that can be done from Canada rather than while on AT&T's network as I've never tried it. Typically you have to stick in a SIM from another carrier and enter a code. On T-Mobile with my Galaxy S3 it took a few weeks to get the code via e-mail after supplying my data via phone; YMMV. You would want to SIM unlock before rootinng; bootloader unlock is different than SIM unlock; and custom ROM's don't SIM unlock your device.

If you want 8" and a S-Pen you have no options. Only other alternative would be an Tegra Note 7; I believe they've started making an LTE model but I'm not sure. Personally if you don't want the pen, I'd go with the Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro because it's got a more powerful processor and a higher resolution panel. If it's all the same to you by all means save money. The Note 8 is likely at it's end of retail life pending a newer version so prices are going down (at least in the USA they have; my fiancee got hers in Alberta last month for $349 and I think they're now $329 here in Georgia).

Feature wise is probably improved MultiWindow mode and anything you like about Samsung's 4.4 tabs that isn't available on 4.1/4.2 era devices like the Note 8. I'm not sure what functionality we're getting in our 4.4 update (AFAIK 3G and Wi-Fi, not AT&T model).
A funny thing happened to me last night.
For the longest time I was under the impression that NON-RT Windows tablets were quite expensive and quite large. Then I find out that there are 8inch full version windows tablets with decent specs and a reasonable prices.

So in short now i'm after a windows 8 tablet, the lenovo miix 2 and thinkpad 8 being my first choices.

gooberdude
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwii View Post
A funny thing happened to me last night.
For the longest time I was under the impression that NON-RT Windows tablets were quite expensive and quite large. Then I find out that there are 8inch full version windows tablets with decent specs and a reasonable prices.

So in short now i'm after a windows 8 tablet, the lenovo miix 2 and thinkpad 8 being my first choices.
Venue Pro 8.0 would be my choice.

Edwii
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberdude View Post
Venue Pro 8.0 would be my choice.
I had one for a day before I returned it.
First of all it has no GPS, so right from the start it got eliminated from my options.
Secondly it's speaker is TERRIBLE, even at full volume It was barley audible in a quite room. With my Air conditioner on i couldn't even listen to a movie. I don;t know if the lenovo has better audio but can't be much worse if anything.