Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,283 Members 38,490 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tri-Band Galaxy S4 and CDMA

Tip us?

wizholt7
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnichols2 View Post
I have a Sprint Tri-Band Galaxy S4. For the past two weeks, I have had no signal in my house.

I talked Sprint into sending me a Airave 2.5+ at no cost. After I set it up, still no bars.
I tried my wife's flip phone and it got 5 bars.

When troubleshooting my Galaxy S4, I first checked "Network Mode" in Settings, it was on "Automatic".
I switched to "CMDA" and got 5 bars, but no LTE Data, only 3G.

When I tried "LTE/CMDA" I got LTE back (Not from the Airave), but no voice.

Which brings us to my question -- Why no CMDA voice in "Automatic" ??

Then just to test, I turned the Airave off, I now had 3 bars in my house from the Sprint tower.
Switching to "Automatic" left me with 0 bars again.

I would think with no signal in "Automatic" mode, it would then seek other bands and find the signal.

I can only guess that "Automatic" seeks the 1900 Mhz band, and Airave is on 800 Mhz.
I can't be absolutely sure because Sprint won't tell me.

If I'm right, why won't my Tri-Band Galaxy S4 find the signal on 800 Mhz??
To answer some of your questions:

The tri-band Galaxy S4 is tri band because it operates on three different kinds of signals: CDMA, LTE, and GSM. The latter is only used if it is unlocked for a GSM carrier (T-Mobile, AT&T, etc) or if it is being used internationally in a GSM tower. CDMA is what the voice and 3G/2G(1XRTT) operates off of, LTE is your 4G data services. Those are the two primary antennas used. If you have it set to CDMA only, it will only use voice and 3G services. If you have it set for CDMA/LTE it will use voice, 3G, and 4G (if available), but will not look for GSM towers. Automatic will look to connect to any of those, but will not connect to GSM unless unlocked to do so.

Now, as far as why it isn't working on your airave, if could be a couple things. The most likely is that it isn't compatible with your airave. It has nothing to do with the frequency the airave is using. There are several new phones that the airaves aren't yet compatible with. Assuming that's not the case, you could have a defective phone.

Another fun thing in the mix is the fact that the tri-band S4 is Sprint Spark capable, and for some reason Spark has been causing a ton of issues on phones (i.e. not calling, not texting, no data, freezing the phone up, etc), even in areas that don't have Spark up and running yet. So it's also very possible that these issues lie in the fact that the phone is Spark capable, which may persist even if you get the phone replaced.

There is a good possibility that you may be having Spark issues because right now the work around for phones experiencing issues with Spark phones is to put the network on CDMA only, which you said has given you some relief from your problems. The downside of that is that your 4G won't work with it on CDMA only.

Of course this isn't very good news, but hopefully that sheds some light on your situation.
Phone History: LG PM-225 => Samsung A640 => Motorola Q => HTC Touch Pro => HTC Touch Pro 2 => HTC Evo 4G => Palm Pixi => Samsung Moment => Samsung Intercept => LG Optimus => HTC EVO 3D => Samsung Epic Touch => HTC Evo 4G => Samsung Note 2 => Kyocera Torque => Motorola Photon Q => Samsung Galaxy S4 => LG G2 => Kyocera Torque
The Following User Says Thank You to wizholt7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jnichols2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizholt7 View Post
To answer some of your questions:

The tri-band Galaxy S4 is tri band because it operates on three different kinds of signals: CDMA, LTE, and GSM. The latter is only used if it is unlocked for a GSM carrier (T-Mobile, AT&T, etc) or if it is being used internationally in a GSM tower. CDMA is what the voice and 3G/2G(1XRTT) operates off of, LTE is your 4G data services. Those are the two primary antennas used. If you have it set to CDMA only, it will only use voice and 3G services. If you have it set for CDMA/LTE it will use voice, 3G, and 4G (if available), but will not look for GSM towers. Automatic will look to connect to any of those, but will not connect to GSM unless unlocked to do so.

Now, as far as why it isn't working on your airave, if could be a couple things. The most likely is that it isn't compatible with your airave. It has nothing to do with the frequency the airave is using. There are several new phones that the airaves aren't yet compatible with. Assuming that's not the case, you could have a defective phone.

Another fun thing in the mix is the fact that the tri-band S4 is Sprint Spark capable, and for some reason Spark has been causing a ton of issues on phones (i.e. not calling, not texting, no data, freezing the phone up, etc), even in areas that don't have Spark up and running yet. So it's also very possible that these issues lie in the fact that the phone is Spark capable, which may persist even if you get the phone replaced.

There is a good possibility that you may be having Spark issues because right now the work around for phones experiencing issues with Spark phones is to put the network on CDMA only, which you said has given you some relief from your problems. The downside of that is that your 4G won't work with it on CDMA only.

Of course this isn't very good news, but hopefully that sheds some light on your situation.
Wiz,

I've already googled enough to figure most of this out. It seems the S4 Spark has problems switching from LTE to CDMA.

It's not a huge problem leaving it in CDMA. The Airave 3G is pretty slow, but I have a fast Wi-Fi at home. On my walk this morning, I was able to get 950 KBs on the Sprint 3G. If I need more, I can just switch to LTE.

I understand the S5 and Spark EVO are having the same issue. No doubt, Sprint and Samsung will work out a patch.

wizholt7
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Wiz,

I've already googled enough to figure most of this out. It seems the S4 Spark has problems switching from LTE to CDMA.

It's not a huge problem leaving it in CDMA. The Airave 3G is pretty slow, but I have a fast Wi-Fi at home. On my walk this morning, I was able to get 950 KBs on the Sprint 3G. If I need more, I can just switch to LTE.

I understand the S5 and Spark EVO are having the same issue. No doubt, Sprint and Samsung will work out a patch.
Hopefully so! Right now network speeds are HORRIBLE where I'm at (Elizabethtown, KY), 3g is about 100kbps on a good day and 4g is anywhere from 200kbps to 1.5 mbps
Phone History: LG PM-225 => Samsung A640 => Motorola Q => HTC Touch Pro => HTC Touch Pro 2 => HTC Evo 4G => Palm Pixi => Samsung Moment => Samsung Intercept => LG Optimus => HTC EVO 3D => Samsung Epic Touch => HTC Evo 4G => Samsung Note 2 => Kyocera Torque => Motorola Photon Q => Samsung Galaxy S4 => LG G2 => Kyocera Torque

seek2222
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default i had this same problem

i did ##72786# after talking to customer care.... and it worked.. i'm not sure if they changed something or refreshed something on my account to reset it..

jnichols2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by seek2222 View Post
i did ##72786# after talking to customer care.... and it worked.. i'm not sure if they changed something or refreshed something on my account to reset it..
Can you elaborate a little? What does ##72786# do?

Right now, I just leave the mode in CMDA instead of Automatic.

daniel4653
Old
Thanks Meter 2,643
Quote:
Can you elaborate a little? What does ##72786# do?

Right now, I just leave the mode in CMDA instead of Automatic.
Reactivates your phone. It will reboot twice. No harm is done with this. (Unless you're using the phone overseas)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Team Kernelizers: Making the best out of your phone

seek2222
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default put your phone in normal mode..

settings > connections > more networks > mobile networks > network mode > cdma/lte/evdo AND:
settings > connections > more networks > mobile networks > roaming > roaming network > automatic
then, restart, then
settings> more> system update> update profile.... then restart then
go to the dailer and dial ##72786# .. this should activate the hands free activation...
then call customer care from another phone and get someone smart to do trouble shooting with you if your lte is still not working...

The Following User Says Thank You to seek2222 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]