Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,397 Members 46,127 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

help! phone not getting any power?

Tip us?
 
Powell730
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 789
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default help! phone not getting any power?

so I installed unicon from the playstore, activated it in xposed, rebooted, applied an icon theme, rebooted again and my phone locked up on the htc screen. I held power off until it shut off and now my phone will not turn on at all. ive held power and volume up, ive held power and volume down, ive held just power... ive plugged the phone into the charger and its not even showing the charge light...any suggestions? im starting to get a little nervous.. ive had plenty of problems w/ my android phones when running custom stuff but never to the point of not even getting the screen to turn on...
 
andybones
Old
#2  
andybones's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8,977
Posts: 9,327
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Upstate NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell730 View Post
so I installed unicon from the playstore, activated it in xposed, rebooted, applied an icon theme, rebooted again and my phone locked up on the htc screen. I held power off until it shut off and now my phone will not turn on at all. ive held power and volume up, ive held power and volume down, ive held just power... ive plugged the phone into the charger and its not even showing the charge light...any suggestions? im starting to get a little nervous.. ive had plenty of problems w/ my android phones when running custom stuff but never to the point of not even getting the screen to turn on...
Man, these S-OFF M8's are dropping like hot cakes..
I wonder if Verizon is somehow behind this and going to push an OTA to break S-OFF exploit and leaving us screwed with a refurb and no way to root/S-OFF.
Team Ecliptic - Member/Co-Lead Developer

Motorola Droid > HTC Eris > HTC Incredible > HTC Incredible 2 > Galaxy Nexus > HTC Rezound > HTC Incredible 4G > Samsung Galaxy S3 > Samsung Galaxy S4 > HTC One M7 > HTC One M8

Buy me a beer.
The Following User Says Thank You to andybones For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
thunderbls
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 75
Posts: 262
Join Date: Sep 2012
Man that sucks .. Sorry man : (
@Andy What could big red have done to be behind this?
The Following User Says Thank You to thunderbls For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
wtoj34
Old
#4  
wtoj34's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 149
Posts: 608
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Ditto that @andybones . So many threads about bricks lately from very minor things/tweaks. Doesn't make any sense. Something isn't right

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
If I help any one any where at any time, please let me know by clicking thanks!
Current devices: HTC ONE M8, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Xoom Former devices: Droid X2, Droid Charge, Note 2,
 
Powell730
Old
(Last edited by Powell730; 27th May 2014 at 09:54 PM.)
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 789
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybones View Post
Man, these S-OFF M8's are dropping like hot cakes..
I wonder if Verizon is somehow behind this and going to push an OTA to break S-OFF exploit and leaving us screwed with a refurb and no way to root/S-OFF.
I got mine to come back on... thankfully before I read your post, otherwise I woulda went into shear panic

If it is something to do with Verizon then pulling my SD Card and SIM Card and it coming on after that makes sense. I tried everything I could think of before that and said well... cant think of anything else so i'll pull the sim and sd card, initially it did nothing, but then I just taped the power button a few times and it kicked on and booted up. inserted the sim card and sd card and all has been fine. im scared to turn it off though.

EDIT: so I took the chance, I wanted to backup after the scare.. everything went fine.. still weary about rebooting but the 1st one went ok.
 
wtoj34
Old
#6  
wtoj34's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 149
Posts: 608
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell730 View Post
I got mine to come back on... thankfully before I read your post, otherwise I woulda went into shear panic

If it is something to do with Verizon then pulling my SD Card and SIM Card and it coming on after that makes sense. I tried everything I could think of before that and said well... cant think of anything else so i'll pull the sim and sd card, initially it did nothing, but then I just taped the power button a few times and it kicked on and booted up. inserted the sim card and sd card and all has been fine. im scared to turn it off though.

EDIT: so I took the chance, I wanted to backup after the scare.. everything went fine.. still weary about rebooting but the 1st one went ok.
So you're saying that removing the Sim card may have let your phone boot? That's f'd up.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
If I help any one any where at any time, please let me know by clicking thanks!
Current devices: HTC ONE M8, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Xoom Former devices: Droid X2, Droid Charge, Note 2,
 
Powell730
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 789
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtoj34 View Post
So you're saying that removing the Sim card may have let your phone boot? That's f'd up.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Possibly, i obviously have no proof. it may have been a coincidence, but once I removed the sim it booted.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app
 
wtoj34
Old
#8  
wtoj34's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 149
Posts: 608
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell730 View Post
Possibly, i obviously have no proof. it may have been a coincidence, but once I removed the sim it booted.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app
There's very little big red could do to surprise me right now. Could someone more knowledgeable on the topic of how Sim cards function and their limit to how they can interact with a phone chime in?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

I am convinced Verizon is causing these random phones dropping dead. Got me thinking about the xlte. That's gotta communicate directly with the Sim. Could there be something in that? Also gotta bring up the my verizon root perms. I'm completely speculating I have very little knowledge on this territory.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
If I help any one any where at any time, please let me know by clicking thanks!
Current devices: HTC ONE M8, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Xoom Former devices: Droid X2, Droid Charge, Note 2,
The Following User Says Thank You to wtoj34 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
brandogg
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 83
Posts: 608
Join Date: Jul 2008
I can chime in - that would never happen. A SIM card is just a memory card.
 
robocuff
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 82
Posts: 281
Join Date: Jul 2011
There's another thread about this same thing. Either in the Verizon M8 forum or the regular M8 forum. Don't remember which one. Anyway, in the end, that person ended up pulling just the sdcard and the phone booted up. Put it back in and it wouldn't boot. He/she then formatted the card on a Windows computer, put it back in and it booted up. Makes me wonder if your problem wasn't due to the sdcard too. You might consider backing up the contents of it on a computer. Just in case.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robocuff For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes