[Q] Bootloop on splash screen

Search This thread

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
So I got an HTC One second hand. Listing just said user reset it and started bootlooping. Got it for cheap so I figured I'd try and fix it.

Got it, and plugged it in (dead battery). The charge light indicator turns on, and the screen turns on with the charging animation, but only for a split second. Then it goes to the splash screen for about 10 seconds or so, screen turns off for a few seconds, then right back on and up to the splash screen.

Tried holding the Vol down to get into bootloader, but so far no good. The only way for it to stop the loop is for the battery to die. When I plug it into an outlet or a computer, it immediately goes right back into the boot loop.

So, is there anyway to save this? Or am I SOL?

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
So I got an HTC One second hand. Listing just said user reset it and started bootlooping. Got it for cheap so I figured I'd try and fix it.

Got it, and plugged it in (dead battery). The charge light indicator turns on, and the screen turns on with the charging animation, but only for a split second. Then it goes to the splash screen for about 10 seconds or so, screen turns off for a few seconds, then right back on and up to the splash screen.

Tried holding the Vol down to get into bootloader, but so far no good. The only way for it to stop the loop is for the battery to die. When I plug it into an outlet or a computer, it immediately goes right back into the boot loop.

So, is there anyway to save this? Or am I SOL?

plug this thing into a wall and wait for the charge light to stop blinking. once thats done press and hold vol - and power and keep holding till you see the bootloader.

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
plug this thing into a wall and wait for the charge light to stop blinking. once thats done press and hold vol - and power and keep holding till you see the bootloader.

Thanks for the reply. I recognize you from the Rez forums when I used to have one :p.

So, tried that. I plug it in (device is off now because it ran out of juice apparently), and the light blinks, splashscreen comes up for 10 seconds.

After that, it reboots, and the charge light doesn't come on again, and then goes into its bootloop.

I also tried holding the Vol down for around 3 reboot cycles, both on and off the charger.

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
Thanks for the reply. I recognize you from the Rez forums when I used to have one :p.

So, tried that. I plug it in (device is off now because it ran out of juice apparently), and the light blinks, splashscreen comes up for 10 seconds.

After that, it reboots, and the charge light doesn't come on again, and then goes into its bootloop.

I also tried holding the Vol down for around 3 reboot cycles, both on and off the charger.

have to hold volume down and power at the same time. keep holding and it should go to hboot.

Edit: welcome to the M7. ^_^

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
to me it sounds like there is still hope. as long as you can see the splash screen you still have a chance.
i would put it in a wall charger and just leave it for a bit about 20 min and then try the vol - and power.

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
to me it sounds like there is still hope. as long as you can see the splash screen you still have a chance.
i would put it in a wall charger and just leave it for a bit about 20 min and then try the vol - and power.

That's what I was thinking as well, going from my experience with the Rez anyway.

Alright, I'll just let it sit on the charger for while and hopefully the buzzing doesn't annoy me too much lol.

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
Still can't get into bootloader :(.

Tried after about 30 min of being on the charger.

Something weird I noticed, if I press/hold power+vol down while it's on the splash screen, the back/home soft keys will blink 6 times, then the phone shuts off/starts back up again in it's loop (but they won't blink if I was already holding them down before the splash screen came up). Not sure if this is relevant or not, but I figured I would mention it.

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
Still can't get into bootloader :(.

Tried after about 30 min of being on the charger.

Something weird I noticed, if I press/hold power+vol down while it's on the splash screen, the back/home soft keys will blink 6 times, then the phone shuts off/starts back up again in it's loop (but they won't blink if I was already holding them down before the splash screen came up). Not sure if this is relevant or not, but I figured I would mention it.

When that exact thing happens switch to holding only volume down.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
When that exact thing happens switch to holding only volume down.

Tried it - screen still just goes black, and then repeats the splashscreen bootloop like before.

Should I try contacting HTC and see what they would charge to send it in?

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
Tried it - screen still just goes black, and then repeats the splashscreen bootloop like before.

Should I try contacting HTC and see what they would charge to send it in?

I have this happen to both my max and my kids m8. It was a matter of timing the power and up button combo and then shifting to just vol down the second it rebooted. First time took me twenty minutes to get it right. During which I may have broke a sweat. Don't give up just yet.

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
I have this happen to both my max and my kids m8. It was a matter of timing the power and up button combo and then shifting to just vol down the second it rebooted. First time took me twenty minutes to get it right. During which I may have broke a sweat. Don't give up just yet.

So, I should hold Power + Vol UP while on the splash screen, then when the buttons flash, switch to just Vol DOWN? Or am I not doing the correct technique?

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
So this is what I've tried doing; not sure if it's the correct timing or not:

From a dead battery, plug in and hold power + Vol down, it just goes into bootloop

During the bootloop, held Vol Down during the black screen in between the white HTC splashscreen; still bootloop (tried this at various times in between the splashscreen loops; there's about a 5 sec gap of black screen)

Tried the same above, but with Power + Vol Down

Tried Power + Vol Down during the white splashscreen, the back/home soft keys blink 4 - 6 times, and releasing the power button while keeping vol down held, and then reboots into the bootloop again

Not sure what to do at this point, besides contact HTC, unless you guys have any ideas/proper order to press the buttons?

Edit: plugged it into my computer, and about 3/4 of the way through the HTC Splashscreen, I hear the USB plugged in noise, then immediately the eject noise. For a second I can see "Android Phone" listed under Devices and Printers. Tried running fastboot reboot-bootloader and it didn't catch it. Tried running adb devices during the second it's recognized, but it didn't see anything. Tried in both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

Also tried pressing Vol down during the time its recognized, but either my timing was off, or it didn't work.

Last edited:

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
Update: Also tried holding the light sensors under a lightbulb and tried the above attempts (read somewhere this has worked for people)... still a no-go.

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010

Still haven't been able to get it after a couple days of trying on and off.

Contacted HTC and I'm going to send it into them.

Since I'm not sure what HBoot is on it currently... if they were to update it to the latest (newest OTA) that's just been released before returning it to me... will I still be able to unlock bootloader/S-Off with Firewater/Weaksauce?

Thanks for the suggestions you guys provided dottat and synisterwolf I appreciate it!

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
sorry ive been away, work has be busy. If they do update it, there is no way to unlock or s-off ATM. the OTA might be to new for them to care and just flash you back to 4.4.2 sense 5.5

No problem man.

Lame.. hopefully hey don't update it. According to the agreement notice they emailed me with my ticket info and stuff, it says" Please note that all repaired devices will be set to carrier or HTC specifications, and will be factory reset."

Hopefully that means that they'll just reset it back to how it came and not update it.

Otherwise I guess I'll either wait or try and sell it, since the device itself is pretty much mint.

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
So I got it back today from HTC... and I think they updated it :(. Can somebody confirm for me?

Bootloader says this:

PVT SHIP S-ON
HBoot-1.57.0000
Radio-1.13.41.0421
OpenDSP-v32.120.274.0909
OS-4.10.605.3

Settings says:
Sense 6.0

So there's no way to root, or S-Off, or bootloader unlock right? Neither Rumrunner nor Firewater work? Is an unlock exploit being researched?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sorry ive been away, work has be busy. If they do update it, there is no way to unlock or s-off ATM. the OTA might be to new for them to care and just flash you back to 4.4.2 sense 5.5