[Q] How to un-lag my HD+

Search This thread
OK, I've probably kludged something up. So bear with me.

I had CM11 running on my HD+ and everything was OK. It is installed to the EMMC. I flashed an update (the M6 Snapshot from http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=ovation) and flashed gapps, but didn't wipe it, since it was just an update. My HD+ took a long time to boot and has been very laggy ever since. I discovered that my internal storage was full, so I cleaned that up and freed 3.2 gig. It was still very laggy - as in would take 2 seconds between tapping back and the tablet responding. It was bad.

So I decided to bite the bullet and wipe and do a clean install. So I wiped/factory-reset, then flashed the M6 snapshot and gapps again. It booted slowly and was very laggy while installing apps from the app store and doing updates. I let it sit, thinking it was the updates and installs that were bogging it down. It finished everything, I charged it up overnight and now the tablet is better, but still not as responsive as it should be.

Also, I noticed that apps can't seem to find my external sdcard by themselves. But if I go browsing to the right folder, I can open pics and movies just fine. But the apps don't seem to be aware the external sdcard is there when they look for things themselves.

So, my questions are:
Should I be using the Cyanogenmod builds from their website, or do the custom builds fix the lag and sdcard issues?
If I should be using a custom build, who's should I go with for CM11?
Does this whole ART vs. davlik thing make a big difference?
Or should I just go back to CM10.2?