Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,757 Members 49,013 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dolby Digital Plus demo files

Tip us?

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuttino View Post
I'd rather play it in MPC-HC. Going through and re-encoding almost 1TB of data isn't going to happen

Thanks for the explanation though

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
I fully understand and agree....I have much more than that myself which was all encoded in MP4/H.264/AAC and MP3 for Android playback (worked for CCast as well) but since then I have decided I really prefer the MKV container with H.264 video and Multitrack Audio (One Stereo and one for Commentary (AAC or MP3), One Surround (AAC or Dolby) and Subtitle track (en) as my preferred Library format.

It would be very hard to impossible for me to re-encode my current library to get what I want...Especially since much of my library is missing the pieces I want included (like Commentary, Multitracks and Subtitles).

So I'm taking it one collection at a time (I'm working on Aliens right now) and re-ripping from Blue Ray to get all the tracks I prefer.
Then replacing the entire collection at once...

Even more time consuming than a simple re-encode but at least I know I will have the movies I really care about archived properly.

For most though Transcoding is more than good enough. I'm just a bit obsessed with how I keep my Library.

Restorer
Old
Thanks Meter 506
Quote:
I am unsure of the difference between LPCM and PCM, but I believe it is the same thing in principal. The few disney movies I have with LPCM (Cars, Pirates of the Caribbean 1, 2 and 3) have a better soundtrack than what I hear when downmixed DD+ to PCM.
Pretty sure too PCM and LPCM are the same thing i.e. totally uncompressed lossless audio. My amp seems to use PCM to indicate stereo and LPCM for multi-channel though I am not sure if this is a universal convention.

The way I understand it is everything is output from the CC as (L)PCM, having been delivered by Plex as AAC. So if you are saying your DD+ is getting down-mixed to emerge as (PCM) stereo then that should not be happening and will certainly sound way inferior to the original multichannel track. It should be getting output as 5.1 (L)PCM.

But even this is not going to sound as good as the soundtracks on the titles you mention since LPCM from the original source will be as good as it gets - delivered to your amp completely untouched, blank space and all. The (L)PCM delivered by CC to your amp is different to this though. This audio has already been compressed to DD+ and then converted by Plex to AAC. But, as Asphyx has indicated the resulting stream from the CC should sound, as near as makes no difference, just as good as the Dolby if it is getting properly transcoded.

It would probably be worth investigating further if your DD+ is actually getting down-mixed to stereo and if so why. Also, most of us using Windows did have a problem of missing rear channels when CC support by Plex was still in beta. That was soon sorted though, who knows, maybe not for some DD+ users?
Phone: Nexus 4 Stock Android 4.4.4
Tablet: Asus TF201 on the Dream Combo: HairyBean 2.31 and Hunds F2FS Kernel

abuttino
Old
Thanks Meter 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorer View Post

It would probably be worth investigating further if your DD+ is actually getting down-mixed to stereo and if so why. Also, most of us using Windows did have a problem of missing rear channels when CC support by Plex was still in beta. That was soon sorted though, who knows, maybe not for some DD+ users?
It is because DD+ is not supported in Plex at the moment. They were waiting for XBMC to get an update called "Gotham" then they were going to fork off that build.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/top...d/#entry648738

Restorer
Old
Thanks Meter 506
Quote:
It is because DD+ is not supported in Plex at the moment. They were waiting for XBMC to get an update called "Gotham" then they were going to fork off that build.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/top...d/#entry648738
Well Gotham has been out a few weeks now so hopefully you won't have long to wait .

abuttino
Old
Thanks Meter 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
Well Gotham has been out a few weeks now so hopefully you won't have long to wait .

What was "good" about Gotham, other than support for DD+ ? I am interested to hear the commits that Plex might also fork.

Restorer
Old
Thanks Meter 506
Quote:
What was "good" about Gotham, other than support for DD+ ? I am interested to hear the commits that Plex might also fork.
I haven't upgraded yet - I'm being chicken and waiting for stable release of 13.1.

Apparently DD+ used to work fine in Eden (v 11) but Frodo (v12) broke it!

Here's the lowdown on what's new in Gotham:

XBMC Gotham FAQs

And more details here:

XBMC Gotham Changelog