Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

[Q] My phone is only detected by Odin in a different way than instructed

OP Y.June

26th May 2014, 10:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
I'm trying to follow this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1705260
But the instructions don't work for me. The only way I can make Odin detect my phone is if I start the phone normally (no usb debug, no download mode), connect the usb cable, and when prompted on my phone, select 'firmware update (kies)'.

Then the box on Odin goes yellow as OP says, and it's writen 0:[COM3]

Is that correct? Can I go ahead with rooting like this? I'm going to be installing Beansprout.

Edit:
I tried it anyway, and it failed (0 success 1 fail)
How can I get it to be detected in download mode then?

Code:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> PDA_UCLB3.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> PHONE_UCLB3.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)
<ID:0/003> Removed!!
Last edited by Y.June; 26th May 2014 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Failed
27th May 2014, 02:33 AM   |  #2  
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 66

287 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y.June

I'm trying to follow this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1705260
But the instructions don't work for me. The only way I can make Odin detect my phone is if I start the phone normally (no usb debug, no download mode), connect the usb cable, and when prompted on my phone, select 'firmware update (kies)'.

Then the box on Odin goes yellow as OP says, and it's writen 0:[COM3]

Is that correct? Can I go ahead with rooting like this? I'm going to be installing Beansprout.

Edit:
I tried it anyway, and it failed (0 success 1 fail)
How can I get it to be detected in download mode then?

Code:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)
<ID:0/003> Removed!!

Hey there,

I am assuming you have no trouble getting into download mode, and Kies is not running at the time?

Kies didn't work for me when it came to appropriate drivers. I ended up using generic Android drivers for stuff like ADB and download mode. The drivers in this package may work for you:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2588979

Hope this helps.
27th May 2014, 05:57 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel.maxuel

Hey there,

I am assuming you have no trouble getting into download mode, and Kies is not running at the time?

Kies didn't work for me when it came to appropriate drivers. I ended up using generic Android drivers for stuff like ADB and download mode. The drivers in this package may work for you:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2588979

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately the new drivers didn't help, it's still not detected while in download mode, only when the phone is booted.

Yes, I can enter download mode (robot with a shovel).
When I first tried, Kies was running (didn't know it wasn't supposed to). I uninstalled to be sure it wouldn't run. When that didn't work I installed it again but made sure to close it before trying Odin.

Does it matter if usb debug is on or off? The OP doesn't say either way.

The phone is only detected in Kries firmware update mode (shows up as COM3) or Usb debug mode (shows up as COM4)
27th May 2014, 09:36 PM   |  #4  
Flag Halifax

287 posts
More
State of debug mode shouldn't matter, only matters for ADB (I think). But I would leave it on just in case.

I don't think the availability of COM ports makes any difference either.

Sorry, I am out of ideas for now.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using XDA Free mobile app
28th May 2014, 12:53 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Code:
Beanstalk install instructions: 
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2091900

Coming from Froyo(2.2) Gingerbread(2.3) or ICS(4.0)
Obtain CWM, this can be done using Jscotts Odin back to stock (Follow instructions and use SGS kernal flasher to obtain CWM)
Run Qksters IMEI backup script here
Make certain you are on ICS, this can be done by flashing Entropy's CM9
It is recommended now that you remove your SD Card
CWM: Wipe Cache / Factory Reset
Install ROM
... The package will start to install..
... Phone will reboot into the install screen again...
... Continue to install [Automatically] If not manually flash again
... Phone will reboot again and be at the recovery screen...
Install Gapps
CWM: Wipe Cache Partition
CWM: Advanced/Wipe Dalvik Cache
Reboot
So the idea is to get gingerbread on my phone (with Odin) and then use SGS kernel flasher to install CWM.
If I understood that right, I wonder if I can just use SuperOneClick to install gingerbread, then use the kernel flasher to install CWM.
I do have the kernel flasher on my froyo, but I guess it needs to be gingerbread.

Edit: well, scratch that, 2.3.3 superoneclick download not available :/
Edit: firmware 2.2 is froyo, right? I mean, it says that, and build number froyo, but my kernel version is 2.6.32.9
Alas, another edit! I could try installing jellybean (guide page 1, page 2) but again, that needs superoneclick for which there is no download available unless I'm mistaken.
Last edited by Y.June; 28th May 2014 at 01:26 AM.
28th May 2014, 02:17 AM   |  #6  
Flag Halifax

287 posts
More
Quote:

Code:
Beanstalk install instructions: 
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2091900

Coming from Froyo(2.2) Gingerbread(2.3) or ICS(4.0)
Obtain CWM, this can be done using Jscotts Odin back to stock (Follow instructions and use SGS kernal flasher to obtain CWM)
Run Qksters IMEI backup script here
Make certain you are on ICS, this can be done by flashing Entropy's CM9
It is recommended now that you remove your SD Card
CWM: Wipe Cache / Factory Reset
Install ROM
... The package will start to install..
... Phone will reboot into the install screen again...
... Continue to install [Automatically] If not manually flash again
... Phone will reboot again and be at the recovery screen...
Install Gapps
CWM: Wipe Cache Partition
CWM: Advanced/Wipe Dalvik Cache
Reboot
So the idea is to get gingerbread on my phone (with Odin) and then use SGS kernel flasher to install CWM.
If I understood that right, I wonder if I can just use SuperOneClick to install gingerbread, then use the kernel flasher to install CWM.
I do have the kernel flasher on my froyo, but I guess it needs to be gingerbread.

Edit: well, scratch that, 2.3.3 superoneclick download not available :/
Edit: firmware 2.2 is froyo, right? I mean, it says that, and build number froyo, but my kernel version is 2.6.32.9
Alas, another edit! I could try installing jellybean (guide page 1, page 2) but again, that needs superoneclick for which there is no download available unless I'm mistaken.

2.2 is Froyo. Kernel Version 2.6.x has to do with the Linux counterpart, not much to be concerned about at this point.
My concern with SuperOneClick is that if something goes wrong, you will be unable to flash back to Froyo. Best to get Odin working in Download Mode first.

A quick search ("no odin in download mode") found this thread (on a different Samsung device):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2561137

So your fix may involve a different version of Odin, a different USB cable (and as a note from some place else) you may want to make sure you are not using a USB 3.0 port (2.0 preferred), and connected straight from the motherboard (no hubs). This may not be a requirement for Odin, but I've seen the recommendation (and it's a requirement for certain HTC tasks).
Last edited by joel.maxuel; 28th May 2014 at 02:20 AM.
28th May 2014, 04:04 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:

Edit: ... argh... I did the install recommended to fix the rainbow screen and now the phone is bricked. No signs of life.
I guess it was too good to be true.
Don't do the bootloader he tells you to install to fix rainbow screen.

No download mode, no recovery mode. If I go into recovery mode it just gives me some red letters about RST_stat, IRQ, and some hexcodes (those 0x000 numbers)

Quote:

Edit again! I fixed it! I was all ready to get a usb jig. When I tried to go to download mode nothing happened at all. But instead of plugging in the cable to the phone and then to the computer, I plugged it to the computer first and then the phone. It gave me download mode! I thought this was bricked for sure!

So I can't do emergency recovery mode from kries mini, it only gives the option from the 'firmware update' option you get when connecting the phone while it's booted in.

That means I need to do Odin again... I hope it works! This time I won't do the rainbox fix. I'll just deal with it. Rainbows are pretty anyway.

I got Odin to work and install! After uninstalling drivers and rebooting over and over, and installing the samsung driver that was in that link you posted.
Thanks!

This is what I was typing before I got it to work so I'll post it anyway. It might be helpful for someone:
I found a samsung.com link for installing gingerbread. I can't link on forums yet so just google this:
Quote:

AT&T Cell Phones: How Do I Update My Infuse 4G (SGH-i997) Mobile Device to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) Operating System?

I did try it,it was detected fine, and started installing after Kris Mini put the phone in download mode. But a bit after installing it failed. However, the website does have some more troubleshooting info that could help someone. The website does say kries 3 is not compatible with this model, you have to download kries mini.
Here's the troubleshooting info:
Quote:

Basic Troubleshooting

General

If you are unable to download an install the Kies mini application you may need to disable all Firewall & Anti-Virus Programs.

Kies Mini Does Not Detect The Phone
Remove previously installed Samsung software and drivers. PC Studio, New PC Studio, or Kies can cause driver conflicts. Uninstall these applications/drivers and reinstall Kies mini.
Enable USB debugging mode before connect your device to the PC.
Close the Kies mini application.
On you device press Menu Menu >Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging to place a checkmark.
Reopen the Kies mini application.
Reconnect your device to the PC.

You may have changed your default USB settings. To check your USB settings follow the instructions below.
Close the Kies mini application.
On you device press Menu Menu > Settings > Applications > USB settings.
Touch Kies (Firmware update).
Reopen the Kies mini application.
Reconnect your device to the PC.

Download or update Windows Media Player to the latest version. Click here for the Windows Media player update website.

Remove previously installed service provider applications (ACM, VMM, etc…). These applications may cause driver conflicts. Uninstall these applications and reinstall Kies mini.

Depending on the amount of data stored in the phone memory, this could impair Kies Mini's ability to detect the device. It may be necessary to remove the microSD card (Requirements). Should problems persist, the internal memory may need to be purged. Backup all desired data (using instructions provided above) and then go to Menu > Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset. Follow the onscreen instructions and after reboot, attempt to connect to Kies Mini.

The Media Scan process could produce a loop if connected while in progress. If this occurs, disconnect and power cycle the device. Wait until the device fully boots and the process is finished before connecting again.

When the handset goes into download mode instructed by Kies Mini, additional drivers need to be installed. A timeout may occur from the time the drivers install until Kies Mini can detect. Should this occur, close Kies Mini and remove the cable. Next, remove the battery cover and battery. Afterwards, insert the battery, place the cover back on, and power on the device. When the device reboots, connect the data cable and open Kies Mini.

Last edited by Y.June; 28th May 2014 at 06:47 AM.
28th May 2014, 12:10 PM   |  #8  
Flag Halifax

287 posts
More
Quote:

I got Odin to work and install! After uninstalling drivers and rebooting over and over, and installing the samsung driver that was in that link you posted.
Thanks!

Glad I could be of help. If the ADB/Driver package post was helpful, feel free to thank it.

Quote:

That means I need to do Odin again... I hope it works! This time I won't do the rainbox fix. I'll just deal with it. Rainbows are pretty anyway.

With regard to the rainbow bug, if I recall correctly the ROM's don't have that issue, so you may want to explore Cyanogenmod or Beanstalk (et cetera). I found CM 10.1 useful* (albeit with a few minor bugs), although it seems everyone has moved on to KitKat.

Just a thought. Gingerbread is a bit long in the tooth these days, but you may be set on sticking with stock for a while. (For the record, there is nothing wrong with the OS itself, it's that the app selection is starting to narrow.)

Good luck!

* I tried CM 10.2. I'm not sure if it was my phone (Rogers), or a bad download, but I could not finish the install and CWM was so borked I had to Odin back to stock and start over. I thus gave up on trying anything newer.
28th May 2014, 02:34 PM   |  #9  
Flag Los Osos
Thanks Meter: 560

1,079 posts
More
go up too CarbonRom latest nightly 4.4.2 KitKat https://carbonrom.org/downloads/?dev...g&type=nightly its almost perfect

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread