[HW MOD] Proprietary LG G FLEX USB 3.0 connector

OP 1branchonthevine

28th May 2014, 03:03 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 33

53 posts
Discussion forum for the new proprietary USB 3.0 connector (with additional hidden pins inside the standard micro USB 2.0 port) on some of our LG G Flex's.

Yes, many of us have this brilliantly designed, very unique, 11 pin micro USB connector on the LG Flex (and LG G2). Take a look inside of the connector on your own phone, do you see extra gold pins set back further inside? This connector is NOT the hideous dual-head connector that we have seen on the note 3, LG's is much more compact and discrete. On the surface it looks just like a regular micro USB 2.0 port, and yet it is 100% backward compatible with micro USB 2.0 connectors, which is why it has gone unnoticed!

This same discussion is also going on in the LG G2 foums, follow here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2757820

What we need from you:
Does your phone have the new connector?
Have you tried to hardwire the interface to see if it is functional?
Can anyone find the mate for this new micro USB 3.0 connector?

I plan to update this page to reflect the discovered info from the G2 forum as well, stay tuned!
----------------------------------------------
Below is a hand drawing of this new micro USB 3.0 connector, compared to the standard micro USB 2.0 connector. I have plans to update the drawing in time, since I later discovered that there is only one notch in the new design, as opposed to the drawing showing two notches passing through the new connector.
28th May 2014, 03:04 PM   |  #2  
OP Member

53 posts
Pictures
First and Second photo:
This might be the supplier of the correct part, although they do not show a mate to the connector on alibaba, I have contacted and received a reply, still working out details and getting past language communications barrier.

Third photo:
Showing the 11-pin micro USB 3.0 connector on the Flex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-9.png
Views:	166
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	2767522   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	2767523   Click image for larger version

Name:	gsmarena_003.3.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	2767527  
Last edited by 1branchonthevine; 28th May 2014 at 03:08 PM.
28th May 2014, 03:38 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

53 posts
Follow this company for the connector! They are releasing a 4k Slimport video-out adapter. This will likely use the new LG 3.0 connector, and notice right on the website that they show a demo of the LG G flex (which also has the 11-pin 3.0 connector) paired with a 4k tv!

http://www.analogix.com/

We are almost there, LG is going to have a big win with SlimPort, maybe that is why they are waiting to announce the new USB port.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread