Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,401 Members 38,537 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

FoxFi no longer needed?

Tip us?

donc113
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default FoxFi no longer needed?

I've been rooted for a while now under 4.3. I just updated to NC2 ( the leaked KitKat) and then flashed NC4 recovery and modem. I have been using both FoxFi and WiFi Tether (with root) because I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

I started up FoxFi to test it, but as usual you have install a private cert and that requires you put in a lock screen PIN or password (pattern no longer an option).

So after testing FoxFi...it works fine, I deleted that cert and removed the PIN lock screen....back to just a swipe.

Well...trying FoxFi again, it wants to reinstall that key...this time I said NO and backed out.

Being someone who likes to tinker with crap....I tried just turning on the native hotspot app. IT WORKS FINE!

That's right...IT STILL WORKS without FoxFi loaded. I am not going to totally remove FoxFi (yet) but strongly suspect it is no longer needed.

Again....this is on rooted NC2 leak but with NC4 modem flashed.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

icon123
Old
Thanks Meter 125
That's because the leaked n2 already had the tethering provisions included.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Tada10
Old
Thanks Meter 133
You never know when you might need the Bluetooth tether. I kept mine for situations like this.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

hawkeye680
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I am running the leaked NC2 rom that I installed using the instructions on this site. FoxFi does work, but only with the cert installed.

Also, just activating the mobile hotspot doesn't work for me. Still checks subscription status and fails.

ShaunWinSC
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye680 View Post
I am running the leaked NC2 rom that I installed using the instructions on this site. FoxFi does work, but only with the cert installed.

Also, just activating the mobile hotspot doesn't work for me. Still checks subscription status and fails.
You need to install Deoxed version of NC2

hawkeye680
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunWinSC View Post
You need to install Deoxed version of NC2
Ugh. Thanks. May just stick with Foxfi. With getting my phone replaced a couple weeks ago I've set this thing up so many times I don't want to do it again any time soon.