Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 41,964 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Which AOSP ROM?

Tip us?
 
0reo
Old
(Last edited by 0reo; 28th May 2014 at 05:54 AM.)
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Posts: 131
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default Which AOSP ROM?

I'm on MDK and I've never tried a non-touchwiz ROM. I want to now. I'd appreciate if you guys could tell me what the most popular / mainstream / well developed AOSP ROM is for the Verizon s4. I think I'd like to start my AOSP journey there.

Also, are the current crop of AOSP ROM fully functional? Or are there still some features of the S4 that aren't supported?

Thanks in advance.
-J
 
Mistertac
Old
#2  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,572
Posts: 3,383
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Springfield, Ma

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0reo View Post
I'm on MDK and I've never tried a non-touchwiz ROM. I want to now. I'd appreciate if you guys could tell me what the most popular / mainstream / well developed AOSP ROM is for the Verizon s4. I think I'd like to start my AOSP journey there.

Also, are the current crop of AOSP ROM fully functional? Or are there still some features of the S4 that aren't supported?

Thanks in advance.
-J
Think I answered you in another thread about this topic but.. Try Mahdi, C ROM , Liquid Smooth, AICP ... They've all treated me well. They'll all run differently though for people so you'll just have to flash away and report back in their threads. Also I highly recommend using KToonsez AOSP-Kit Kat kernel with those. It's been nothing but stable for me.

Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
decaturbob
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 813
Posts: 2,388
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Decatur
You really need to them yourself...

sent by safestrap enabled bajarom
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3
 
Blindprophet32
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 16
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
Think I answered you in another thread about this topic but.. Try Mahdi, C ROM , Liquid Smooth, AICP ... They've all treated me well. They'll all run differently though for people so you'll just have to flash away and report back in their threads. Also I highly recommend using KToonsez AOSP-Kit Kat kernel with those. It's been nothing but stable for me.

Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I thought AICP couldn't be used with Safestrap? I'm about to downgrade from 4.4.2 so I can root my phone but from everything I've seen you have to use safestrap to do so... which would effectively destroy being able to use AICP.
 
decaturbob
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 813
Posts: 2,388
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Decatur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindprophet32 View Post
I thought AICP couldn't be used with Safestrap? I'm about to downgrade from 4.4.2 so I can root my phone but from everything I've seen you have to use safestrap to do so... which would effectively destroy being able to use AICP.
safestrap enabled phones can only use tw stock kernel based roms which exclude CM, ASOP and all the rest
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3
 
Mistertac
Old
#6  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,572
Posts: 3,383
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Springfield, Ma

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindprophet32 View Post
I thought AICP couldn't be used with Safestrap? I'm about to downgrade from 4.4.2 so I can root my phone but from everything I've seen you have to use safestrap to do so... which would effectively destroy being able to use AICP.
Well you're correct but I was answering the OP who stated he was on an MDK S4.. which in turn means he's not on SafeStrap.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
Blindprophet32
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 16
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
Well you're correct but I was answering the OP who stated he was on an MDK S4.. which in turn means he's not on SafeStrap.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Gotcha.. I'm new to rooting so I'm still trying to learn everything I can sorry about that. Every Verizon S4 I've seen people have used Safestrap on the SCH-I545. So I'm assuming that MDK is merely a different build correct?
 
Mistertac
Old
#8  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,572
Posts: 3,383
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Springfield, Ma

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindprophet32 View Post
Gotcha.. I'm new to rooting so I'm still trying to learn everything I can sorry about that. Every Verizon S4 I've seen people have used Safestrap on the SCH-I545. So I'm assuming that MDK is merely a different build correct?
Hey no problem!

MDK is the build that the Verizon S4 first shipped with and it allowed for a bootloader exploit called Loki which let's us run custom recoveries... Thus allowing AOSP ROMs like the ones I mentioned.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
Blindprophet32
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 16
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
Hey no problem!

MDK is the build that the Verizon S4 first shipped with and it allowed for a bootloader exploit called Loki which let's us run custom recoveries... Thus allowing AOSP ROMs like the ones I mentioned.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Awesome thanks! Sadly the person I got my phone from worked at Verizon and had religiously updated the phone.....so I got the OTA 4.4.2 FNC5 build from day 1.... so no to partial downgrade and Root and try out hyperdrive 15
 
Treken
Old
#10  
Treken's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 296
Posts: 824
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0reo View Post
I'm on MDK and I've never tried a non-touchwiz ROM. I want to now. I'd appreciate if you guys could tell me what the most popular / mainstream / well developed AOSP ROM is for the Verizon s4. I think I'd like to start my AOSP journey there.

Also, are the current crop of AOSP ROM fully functional? Or are there still some features of the S4 that aren't supported?

Thanks in advance.
-J
Look here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2297370

The OP's will describe whether it's AOSP or TW
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wj0nk95e4os5qwz/kevintest.png

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Add the Xperia Z2 Lock Screen to Your Favorite KitKat ROM

Almost every OEM adds its own unique flair to their stock firmwares. While some of … more

Android App Review: Control Your Phone with Quick Control Panel – XDA Developer TV

Your Android smart device has many features that you … more

Play Music on Android Wear with Stellio Music Player

Android Wear smartwatchesare growing inpopularity every day. Some devices have already … more

Schedule is up for xda:devcon ’14

With xda:devcon ’14 just around the corner, and the venue close to selling out, there is a lot … more